UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Swift Pro Dry 8.9mm: Versatile & Water Repelle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 23 May 2016
Edelrid Swift, 5 kbUIAA standards stipulate that a rope should absorb no more than 5% of its own weight in water. All EDELRID Pro Dry ropes, including the Swift Pro Dry, absorb between 1-2%. Whilst this is impressive by itself, it becomes even more so when you consider that EDELRID ropes also meet strict bluesign® criteria - lessening chemical, energy and water usage during production.

Read more
 BnB 23 May 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

<5%?

Then why does my pack feel so heavy after I pack my dry treated ropes away in winter?
In reply to BnB:

How old are your ropes?

The new UIAA specifications only came into play last year, so if your ropes are older than that then that's probably why. I have to admit that all my old dry ropes have done exactly the same!

On the note of the UIAA specs, the impression I got not just from Edelrid, but from other rope manufacturers, was that it has now become far more difficult to achieve 'dry' status. Hopefully this equates to a higher standard of performance in wet/wintery conditions, but I'll leave this to a suitable gear reviewer to decide - I'm trying to avoid those sorts of conditions currently!

BnB 23 May 2016
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> How old are your ropes?

2 year old Mammut Phoenixes. Thanks for the clarification. Winter seems a long while ago already. Fantastic conditions in the Peak yesterday!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...