UKC

Does anyone know anything about ceremonial church furniture?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 24 May 2016

I'm not a religious person, but I come from a Methodist family on my mother's side.

I attended my grandmothers funeral yesterday, at one of the churches that she and my grandfather attended. The Minister talked about the contribution that they made to the church and mentioned that my grandfather acquired the alter furniture for the church. I then realised that he didn't acquire it, he made it and it all had a style that I was familiar with from other pieces of his furniture we have in the family.

I am going to arrange to go back to the church and photograph them and I am quite interested in finding out about the design influences. I would be interested to get some reference material if anyone is aware of anything. They were likely made in the 1960s.

He was a woodwork teacher and keen hobbyist, rather than a professional furniture maker.
Post edited at 08:58
 marsbar 24 May 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

How wonderful. My dad also isn't religious, but is a talented man and quite into woodworking. He may know something if you want to send me the pictures then email me on here.
 Greasy Prusiks 24 May 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

I know one end of a chisel from the other. If you post a link on here I'm more than happy to have a look for you.
OP The New NickB 24 May 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks & marsbar:

Thanks I'll share once I have been back to take photos.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...