UKC

Biking round Coll and Tiree?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lynsety 24 May 2016
Hi,

Has anyone biked round Coll and Tiree? Are they both fairly flat? We're thinking of taking our two small people in the bike trailer so wanting quiet roads.

Anybody taken a bike trailer (single or double) on the ferry?

Any experiences/advice would be appreciated!

Lynsey.
 cathirst 24 May 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

I've cycled around Tiree - it's pretty much flat as a pancake. I was on my mountain bike and took a leisurely pootle around the island:

https://www.strava.com/activities/168967950

Bikes on the ferry were fine although i didn't have a trailer. The only thing to watch out for is the wind. There's no shelter (no trees actually) so if the weather rolls in it can be a slog. However, i have experienced 25-30 degree heat there too so it can equally be paradise.
In reply to Lynsety:
Yep, Tiree is as flat as you can get! .

Ferries never were a problem years ago, but you sometimes had to remove bikes and racks depending on height restrictions, H&S, and how fully booked the ferry was, etc. It also used to be cheaper to put the rack in the car and push the bikes on the ferry - LOL; not idea if that is still the case!
Edit: Oh I see you said trailer, sorry. You may have to remove the trailer and stow it separately for same reasons as above - staff will keep you right on the day. If ferry is quiet and they are not expecting a rough crossing, trailers just remained attached usually. Better to speak to them when booking as you will be charged on length, etc of the trailer.
Post edited at 12:09
OP Lynsety 27 May 2016
Cool, thanks. All booked up accommodation wise so will find out just need some decent weather!
 stu7jokes 27 May 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

We've taken a double trailer around both islands a couple of times. Marvellous. No problems ferry-wise.

Yes, Tiree is very flat, apart from the road up to the radar station on Ben Hynish, which is very, very steep. Worth doing, though - quite surreal.

Coll is a bit hillier. But the only tricky section is a mile or so of unsurfaced road through the dunes in the north-west, which is hard to avoid. Very tricky if the sand is dry - no traction.

Worth doing both islands because they have very different characters. We try to arrange things so that we end up at the Coll Hotel for seafood.
OP Lynsety 28 May 2016
In reply to stu7jokes:

Thanks. That's all good to know

Going to both islands and just booked into the coll hotel for one night for a treat so will look forward to the food

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...