UKC

Advice Needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chipmunk 24 May 2016
Hi There Folks,

Need some advice relating to hillwalking and a mate pointed me to UKC.

Thing is I love hill walking but I'm now pushing seventy and age takes its toll. I pace myself going uphill but my down hill descents are not what they used to be. I do plenty of walking but I seem to be very tense going down hill. I don't get too much knee pain per se but I find, possibly because of being tense and having less agility, that descents are a long and drawn out process. Obviously age is a factor but I'm not ready to hang up my boots yet.

Just wondering if it's worth my while seeing a sports physio.

Any advice appreciated.
 cander 24 May 2016
In reply to Chipmunk:

Walking poles can help with the knees, though it's probably worth talking to your GP about your knackered knees though.

Theres always Latrigg
OP Chipmunk 24 May 2016
In reply to cander:

> Walking poles can help with the knees,

Should have mentioned that I use them
OP Chipmunk 24 May 2016
I have been wondering if anyone, such as a sports physio, would be prepared to physically watch my descent technique with a view to suggestions.
 SouthernSteve 24 May 2016
In reply to Chipmunk:

I think a sports physio (SP) sounds like a great idea. As you age strengthening and flexibility exercises become much more necessary in many activities and a SP should be able to give you some direction with this. I wouldn't bother with the doctor unless the SP thinks you should.

HTH Steve
 Greasy Prusiks 24 May 2016
In reply to Chipmunk:

There's some exercises you can do to strengthen muscle around the knee. This can help with some types of knee pain. Perhaps worth investigation?

As a disclaimer I'm no expert and have no idea whether that's a good or bad suggestion. I mentioned it only to give you something more to investigate.
 aln 24 May 2016
In reply to Chipmunk:
>Need some advice relating to hillwalking and a mate pointed me to UKC.
>

You'll get plenty of good advice here but you might be better off on the sister site http://www.ukhillwalking.com
Post edited at 20:49
 birdie num num 25 May 2016
In reply to Chipmunk:

Try sports massage rather than physio. And keep moving.
 johncook 25 May 2016
In reply to Chipmunk:

I am 67 with arthritic knees (years of abuse) I found that downhills were very uncomfortable. A physio I knew suggested that I change my gait for downhill. Ensure to not let knees lockout and walk in a slight squat position, keeping body relatively low to reduce impact. This allows the thigh muscles to absorb the loading, thus preventing shock loading of the hard joints. I have never used poles. I look weird when walking downhill, but can keep up with most without the after pain. Uphill I just leave them behind as I have a natural fast walking speed, which is why I needed to sort out downhills.
Enjoy the hills.
 Trangia 25 May 2016
In reply to Chipmunk:

I'm 72 and know what you mean.

Descents are definitely becoming more of an issue, but I just go slower.

I've seen various doctors/professionals over the last few years concerning aches and pains in both knee and foot joints, and definitely find poles help for long descents. Exercises recommended by health professionals definitely help as it seems that keeping your muscles well toned is increasingly important.

Good fitting boots are essential as they give you lot more confidence for accurate foot placement. I have also started using shaped in soles for improved arch support which made a big difference. I find wearing varifocals awkward in descent because they make you bend your head down more to focus.

I have just accepted that I am slowing up generally but so what? My stamina is good and if a route which has a recommended time of 8 hours in the guide book now takes me 9 hours, so what? I still do it and arrive feeling relaxed and not too knackered.

The only situation where a brisk pace is important is in Alpine mountaineering or Scottish Winter Mountaineering, so I am tending to go for outings where timing is not so critical.

Good luck and enjoy another decade of mountaineering at whatever level suites you!
 SenzuBean 25 May 2016
In reply to aln:
> >Need some advice relating to hillwalking and a mate pointed me to UKC.

> You'll get plenty of good advice here but you might be better off on the sister site http://www.ukhillwalking.com

He's already on the sister site... Manually change the forum url in your browser from ukclimbing.com/forums/... to ukh*llwalking.com/forums/... and you'll find... this exact thread!

Edit: there's some whacky forum filter which changes mentions of the hillwalking forums to the climbing ones! I had to change the url above to include the * to thwart the filter. Obviously use an 'i' instead.
As a test - the text below says ukhillwalking, but will be changed to say ukclimbing upon display.
ukclimbing.com/forums/...
Post edited at 14:24
 tony 25 May 2016
In reply to johncook:

> I am 67 with arthritic knees (years of abuse) I found that downhills were very uncomfortable. A physio I knew suggested that I change my gait for downhill. Ensure to not let knees lockout and walk in a slight squat position, keeping body relatively low to reduce impact.

This echoes the advice I was given by a physio many years ago - she described it as walking as if you're pushing your bum back, towards the slope of the hill. It certainly works for me - I've never had any issues with descents.

OP Chipmunk 25 May 2016
Just to say I am most grateful for all the information and replies I have received on this matter.

Thank you all.

aln 25 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

> He's already on the sister site... Manually change the forum url in your browser from ukclimbing.com/forums/... to ukh*llwalking.com/forums/... and you'll find... this exact thread!

> Edit: there's some whacky forum filter which changes mentions of the hillwalking forums to the climbing ones! I had to change the url above to include the * to thwart the filter. Obviously use an 'i' instead.

> As a test - the text below says ukhillwalking, but will be changed to say ukclimbing upon display.

> ukhillwalking.com/forums/...

I've never noticed that!
 Stone Idle 26 May 2016
In reply to Chipmunk:

Try APOS therapy. Saved me an op

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...