UKC

Any Canon G16 users in the room ??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sbc_10 25 May 2016
Hello everybody, yes, the Canon G16.

I purchased one recently and am very happy with the results. I like a bit of astronomy and especially like the STAR mode feature for trails and time-lapse. As a consequence I bought an adapter lens (0.32x) kit that screws onto the thread surrounding the zoom mechanism. This gives a pseudo-fisheye image which I am after to record meteor showers with 2 hour exposures with really wide sky view, maybe auroras as well.

....but when I engage the STAR function, the camera no longer focuses at infinity and creates a blurred field of view.
Other modes, like Program, Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority are fine with the lens attached. Even selecting manual focus and adjusting to infinity does not correct the problem.

Anybody got any ideas ???

I am not a camera nerd, just keen to get some good shots. Being such a complicated little beastie there might be some feature I have not utilised or disabled.

Many thanks in advance for helpful suggestions.

Sean.
OP sbc_10 25 May 2016
In reply to sbc_10:

Twi-light Bump....... or can anybody recommend a good on-line forum ??
 Dan Arkle 25 May 2016
In reply to sbc_10:

Does it focus at a pre determined point that would normally be infinity?

>Even selecting manual focus and adjusting to infinity does not correct the problem
why, does it not allow manual focus?
 The Lemming 25 May 2016
In reply to sbc_10:

> Twi-light Bump....... or can anybody recommend a good on-line forum ??

Ask the nice people at Stargazing Lounge, they should be able to help.

https://stargazerslounge.com/
In reply to sbc_10:

Great camera, but still stuggling with basic macro and focussing.
Neither the manual nor trial and error is getting me where I want quickly.
DC
 The Lemming 26 May 2016
In reply to sbc_10:
It may be a dud. Have you considered returning it to the shop for a replacement?

I had a focusing problem with a new dSLR some years ago where out of 500 test shots about 50 or so were in focus. I took it back the next day and the problen was solved with a diferent camera.
Post edited at 08:01
OP sbc_10 26 May 2016
In reply to Dan Arkle:

> Does it focus at a pre determined point that would normally be infinity?

Yes, when you select STAR mode it seems to 'decide' on a non-infinity distance.
Half term is coming up and will have more time to play and note down observations.
OP sbc_10 26 May 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> Ask the nice people at Stargazing Lounge, they should be able to help.

Thanks, will check that one out.

OP sbc_10 26 May 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> It may be a dud. Have you considered returning it to the shop for a replacement?

Sadly, it is a grey import from Hong Kong. Everything else seems to work fine. I just wonder if this lens adapter thing, is designed for the G-15 screw thread, but when you put it on the G-16 it masks a sensor or confuses the software and it reverts to a non-useful status.
 malk 26 May 2016
In reply to sbc_10:

the manual focus infinity could be focussing past infinity..
OP sbc_10 26 May 2016
In reply to malk:

Fair point, I didn't try to bring the focus closer. I will give that a try. Infinity and beyond..... could catch on.
 malk 26 May 2016
In reply to sbc_10:
why not add an interchangable lens camera with your wide interests?
eg mirrorless APS-C+ samyang 12mm f2 -very affordable combo..
Post edited at 17:04
OP sbc_10 26 May 2016
In reply to malk:

I was in the market for a good compact and was seduced by the STAR mode feature.
It has produced some nice results of the stars so far. The time lapse function also allows meteors, thunder storms, mountain weather and possibly aurora to be 'filmed', all right up my street. When money allows I will go for a 60-D and get a good wide angle piece of glass, but I don't think the Canon DSLR's ( up to the 70-D's etc) have this extended functionality over time sequences... Maybe Canon's micro 4/3rds may have....?? I don't know.
 The Lemming 26 May 2016
In reply to malk:

> the manual focus infinity could be focussing past infinity..

To infinity, and beyond?

OP sbc_10 26 May 2016
In reply to malk:

Canon EOS M10 has interchangeable lenses and STAR exposure feature. Looks good for putting on the end of a telescope as well in terms of bulk and weight.......and the F2 12mm, yes nice and fast.....oh dear, I feel the wallet beginning to twitch....

Thanks Malk.
 malk 26 May 2016
In reply to sbc_10:
is there anything special about the STAR feature that other timelapse apps lack? does it capture meteors/storms better by sensing brightness or something? or would this do the same thing (the sony app)?

https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/usbdetail.php?eid=IS9104-NPIA...

you'll like this: youtube.com/watch?v=T0BhqiYMl5Q&
Post edited at 18:05
OP sbc_10 26 May 2016
In reply to malk:

I didn't know you could get time lapse apps for cameras..... shows what a nuby I am !!.....Thought Canon had cornered the astro market. Well, I need to do some more research.....

Yes, love dynamic weather....thankyou.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...