UKC

Cokin Z pro filter kit/Ultra wide lenses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mudmonkey 26 May 2016
Some advice/opinion needed please!

So I'm dead chuffed with my new Canon 10-18mm lens (67mm filter) on my APS-C 760D but it looks like I'll not get away with using it at 10mm with a screw-on CPL due to vignetting. It seems fine without the CPL.

I'm looking at shelling out on a larger 100mm Cokin Z Pro filter holder, soft grad kit and probably an 8 or 10 stop ND. At the moment I have a smaller, cheap generic holder and ND 2/6/8 soft grad kit in the style of a Cokin P series.

So my question is can I use my screw-on CPL with the 100m filter holder without vignetting? The Z pro CPL seems pretty steep at around £250!!!

Or is there another route I should be considering?

Thanks all!
In reply to mudmonkey5:

I probably have misunderstood you what you are saying, but doubt it will work better.

If you say the current screw on CPL filter causes vignetting by itself, then adding anything else (ie the 100mm Cokin holder on top) is not going to change that will it? You will need to use a CLP filter that is designed for wide angle lens and it sounds like your your current one is not at the wide angle end.

You maybe able to get a filter that would be fine and compatible with the Cokin holder on top, other than buying a Cokin one @ £250, but I don't use Canon so can't recommend, sorry.
OP mudmonkey 26 May 2016
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Ah, I might not have expressed it correctly.

So the CPL alone on the lens at 10mm seems fine, only really used it the once though. I realise there will be some variation across a wide expanse of sky when used with an ultra wide. The filter holder on it's own with the lens at 10mm also seems fine. It's when the CPL plus the filter holder are used in conjunction.

I guess vignetting wasn't the correct term - I'm assuming that what I'm seeing is the edges of the holder being visible due to the increased distance between it and the front element (caused by the thickness of the CPL).
 chrisprescott 26 May 2016
In reply to mudmonkey5:

I've been testing the LEE Filters SW150 kit for the past 12 months and found it to be really good. Very well built (the holder is made of metal and not plastic like the other holders) and they've now released an adaptor that allows it to be used with all super wide angle lenses.
OP mudmonkey 26 May 2016
In reply to chrisprescott:

Thanks Chris - Lee seem to be the way forward in terms of quality but as an amateur the cost is making me squeal!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...