UKC

35-45l rucksack recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hal84 26 May 2016
I'm in the market for a new rucksack for Alpine and Scottish winter climbing. Durability and ease of use/features is more of a priority than weight.

My research so far as come up with the following as possibilities:

-Montane Fast Alpine 40
-BD mission 45
-Lowe Alpine Alpine Attack 35
-Arcteryx FL 45

Any firsthand recommendations/advice/suggestions/warnings gratefully received. In particular I've struggled to find much about the BD mission 45 - so any feedback on that would be appreciated.

O

galpinos 26 May 2016
In reply to Hal84:

I'd add the Patagonia Ascentionist to your list.
 CurlyStevo 26 May 2016
In reply to Hal84:

I found the straps a bit odd on the Lowe Alpine climbing bags they seen designed to naturally want to fall off my shoulders. I don't own the bag but I tried one on loaded.
 Dale Berry 26 May 2016
In reply to Hal84:

I would suggest having a look at Aguille Alpines website. I suspect for durability/ ease of use they could well be hard to beat...
 Ramblin dave 26 May 2016
In reply to Hal84:

My girlfriend has a Pod Alpine 40 and is pretty happy with it. Not overladen with bells and whistles but generally well thought out. Seems pretty solid, too.

They're also on sale at a faintly ridiculous £49.99 clearance price via the Pod website.
 olliehales 26 May 2016
In reply to Hal84:

http://www.karrimorsf.com/patrol-products/item/1-sabre-30.html

I have one of these, and also a 45L variant. Fabric is mega tough and feels like should last many years. Pleased as punch with both of them.

Not lightweight but also doesn't feel like will rip!
 AlanLittle 26 May 2016
In reply to Hal84:

I recently bought a Vaude Croz 38+8 to replace a knackered OMM Villain, and I'm delighted with it. Well thought out features, great build quality, carries very well, can be stripped down by removing lid, frame & hipbelt.
 Martin W 26 May 2016
In reply to Hal84:

Second vote here for the Pod Alpine 40. Nothing there that doesn't have a purpose, and strips down easily if you prefer to sacrifice some function for light weight.

(Mind you, AFAIK the Alpine 40 was on sale at that "clearance" price this time last year. Of course it is possible that they were actually selling new stock at the full price in the run up to the last winter season, and they genuinely are now trying to offload the remnants of that. But it still looks a bit like Sports Direct pricing to me...)
 ben b 26 May 2016
In reply to Hal84:
I'd strongly recommend the Cactus Patrol pack.

http://www.cactusoutdoor.co.nz/packs-bags/alpine-packs/patrol-pack.html

"Durability and ease of use/features is more of a priority than weight" - simple, strong, clean lines, not too heavy, build of a brick privvy, works for walking / scrambling / dragging / mountaineering / ski touring / etc.

b
 Andrew Lodge 26 May 2016
In reply to Hal84:

Very impressed with my Alpine Attack, it's the 35:45 version, a friend also has one and he likes his too.

DaveHK 26 May 2016
In reply to Hal84:
I'm pleased with my Blue Ice Warthog 38. Simple and bombproof.
Post edited at 23:13
 BnB 27 May 2016
In reply to galpinos:

> I'd add the Patagonia Ascentionist to your list.

Especially if low weight is your priority. A Lowe Mountain Attack is a full kilo heavier!! Really good closure system for faff free access to your belay jacket etc after each pitch. Less durable however than many alternatives unsurprisingly. Depends on your priorities.
 neuromancer 27 May 2016
In reply to Hal84:

I managed to put a few holes in my 35:45 lowe just by trad gear in and our of it, I'd hate to see what happens when I thrutch it up some granite.
 Fraser 27 May 2016
In reply to Andrew Lodge:

> Very impressed with my Alpine Attack, it's the 35:45 version, a friend also has one and he likes his too.

I can recommend the 45-55L equivalent too, great sack.
 damowilk 27 May 2016
In reply to ben b:

Have you seen its price!
It's also quite specifically a ski pack.

As much as I wanted to buy locally made stuff, I went for the Lowe Alpine Mountain Attack 35:45, with the quite funky ski tour accessory pack that clips onto the front and am very happy with it.
 nniff 27 May 2016
In reply to Hal84:

Can't find fault with my Blue Ice Yeti. An Aiguille Alpine Zephyr did me well for many years though, and is very both light and tough as old boots.
 ben b 27 May 2016
In reply to damowilk:

Quality only hurts once

I'm sure we both know several folk who use it for everything. The shape (proper rectangle) is so much better for cramming stuff in than those oddly shaped newfangled sacks usually have!

B
 alasdair19 27 May 2016
In reply to Hal84:

I have the arcteryx it's good. v simple. lack of pockets is annoying but you just end up organising a little differently.

the roll top waterproof hood appears to work well. try a few on. the arc is quite long in the back which is ideal for me.

the blue ice warthog looks good too.
Hal84 31 May 2016
Thanks everyone for the responses - much appreciated.

O

StuDoig 01 Jun 2016
In reply to Hal84:

I've got the Alpine Attack 35:45 and it's been really good so far (2 years in). Been used for a coupe of alpine trips, regular cragging, mountain routes (primarily cairngorms so plenty of rough abrasive rock) a couple of seasons worth of winter routes and a bit of ski touring this winter. Can't say I can fault it so far and still in great nick. Seems a good balance of weight, robustness and features (i.e. not too many or too faffy).

I've not got the POD alpine 40, but from years of abusing their black ice I'd say they are well designed, very robust and comfortable to carry heavy loads in. Great pack designs, if heavier than others.

Cheers,

Stuart
 Triickii 01 Jun 2016
In reply to Hal84:

I've recently purchased the Mammut Trion Guide 35+7 Rucksack, loved the orange and couldn't resist. Happy with it so far but not used in anger yet!
 lordyosch 12 Jun 2016
In reply to Hal84:

I've got an older Lowe Alpine Attack 50 and it's been bombproof. Heavy though

It's often left at home because I have an osprey talon 34 (ish) is a lot lighter and I can still fit everything in.
Can't imagine it'll last as long as the lowe Alpine though
 barbeg 13 Jun 2016
In reply to Hal84:

Hi Hal,
Force 10 Alpine - I use them for professional work and personally - so good I have now bought a 25, 35 & 45 litre !!

ANdy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...