UKC

Good deals on half ropes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 humptydumpty 27 May 2016
Anyone know any current good deals on a pair of half ropes? Someone suggested http://www.rockrun.com/edelrid-shikra-8-5mm-x-50m-pair but they're sold out.
 springfall2008 27 May 2016
In reply to humptydumpty:

Go outdoors has a good deal on half ropes:

£55 per rope : http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/edelrid-perfect-alpine-8-3mm-50m-p294112

Look at Alpkit. I bought a pair of high fall factor ropes from them
 jsmcfarland 27 May 2016

just make sure you check the intended use of the rope, 8.3mm winter ropes might not be ideal for cragging
OP humptydumpty 27 May 2016
In reply to jsmcfarland:

Good tip - I guess that means the go-outdoors ones are questionable. I'd better check how a winter rope differs...I mostly just use singles for everything.
 springfall2008 27 May 2016
In reply to jsmcfarland:

I was wondering that myself, but the specs don't seem that different from other half-ropes. Do you think the 8.3mm is that much weaker than an 8.5?
 Nathan Adam 27 May 2016

I'd take anything that GO say with a pinch of salt considering their track record..

No difference other than a dry cover on the rope which although won't be much use for cragging (as most people don't do that in the wet) but it'll help keep the ropes cleaner and make them last longer generally. I've got dry treated Mammuts and I use them for everything including mountain trad and winter etc.
In reply to Nath93:

It's very odd that ad actually as it sounds as though the rope is only dry treated to the sheath - what they are calling dry shield and Beal would refer to as dry cover. And yet they are describing it as ideal for alpine and winter climbing which in most rope manufacturer's terms would mean that both core and sheath should be dry treated as otherwise it will absorb too much water and become unhandleable when frozen. However if it's only for cragging then that should not be a concern and you can't argue with the price!
 bpmclimb 28 May 2016
In reply to springfall2008:

> I was wondering that myself, but the specs don't seem that different from other half-ropes. Do you think the 8.3mm is that much weaker than an 8.5?

Weakness isn't the issue. They're all very, very strong.
 zimpara 28 May 2016
In reply to Stephen Reid - Needle Sports:

The perfect alpine 8.3mm is a weird one, you can almost feel the weirdness, its very very supple, very spongy when pinched between fingers, and oh my lord, the rope stretch is huge!

With that said, i got the 60m for £52 so had to get it. Paired it with a mammut meteor 8.3mm which I like much more, feels tougher and more stiff.
In reply to springfall2008:

When I read up this I bought 2 9mm rope. I'm 100kg and thought I shouldn't go for a really light rope. I'm hoping that a thicker rope will be more durable for a little more weight.

I bought 2 of these

https://www.alpkit.com/products/roca-strong-9

£70 for an 18 fall rope or one over a right angle edge
 zimpara 28 May 2016
In reply to John Clinch (Ampthill):

Fantastic price!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...