UKC

Living in the US and still use a UK bank account?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 28 May 2016
Hi folks,
does anyone on here live in the States and still manage to use their UK Bank account for all US direct debits, phone, insurance, cable etc?

If not, what US bank would you recommend for a 3 year stay. I would also still need to keep my UK account for various DD's etc.

Thanks in advance, Den
 Coel Hellier 28 May 2016
In reply to Denni:

For a three-year stay I think you'd be better off opening an account there. Especially if you want somewhere to put dollar-denominated salary into and a dollar-denominated credit card (which you do).

The banking system in the US is a bit weird, in that they don't really have national banks with a branch network, but instead have patchworks of local banks. So, ask around locally when you're there, find a local "credit union" or similar. It likely won't matter much which one.
 Roadrunner5 28 May 2016
In reply to Denni:

Keep the UK, get a U.S. for us stuff and use transferwise
 elliot.baker 28 May 2016
In reply to Denni:

If you need to transfer money over I found the cheapest way is to get a Halifax Clarity card, withdraw as much cash as possible in one day (£700 worth of $ I think?) then pay that off from your UK bank account as soon as it appears on the statement. You end up paying a few pennies per thousand quid withdrawn.

I'd get a US account over there as well.
 Big Ger 28 May 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> Keep the UK, get a U.S. for us stuff and use transferwise

Seconded.
 psaunders 29 May 2016
In reply to Denni:

I agree with the other posts. Set up a US account but keep the UK accounts, use transferwise for transfers and maybe something like the Halifax Clarity method as a stopgap when you arrive until you get the local account set up.

This is what I did when moving to Canada. I still use my UK account(s) when I occasionally have to pay a uk bill, such as paying for a new passport or buying gifts for people back at home. I also kept my ISA, although be aware that you can't pay more into it if you're not uk resident.
 Roadrunner5 29 May 2016
In reply to Coel Hellier:

I use TD pretty big bank, but yeah banks are very regional.
 JJL 29 May 2016
In reply to Denni:

And brace yourself for a nightmare opening it.
In reply to Denni:

Use a Credit Union rather than one of the big banks.
OP Denni 29 May 2016
In reply to John Stainforth:

Hi folks,
many thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
We are off to Washington for a couple of years in November so want to get it sorted asap and have it up and running so I can do a few trial runs :0)
Any more advice is welcomed.
Den
 Fraser 29 May 2016
In reply to Denni:

My wife's American and lives in Seattle for a good part of the year. I'll ask her who she banks with.

Where in WA will you be based?
OP Denni 29 May 2016
In reply to Fraser:

Cheers Fraser.

Just been informed that the job my wife is going to (she is military) and it is DC not Washington state, they organise everything like this for her when she gets there so thats that part of admin crossed off my to do list!

Thanks again for the advice though folks.

Den

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...