UKC

Why do you work....apart from money

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil4000 29 May 2016
So why work apart from the money? Does your work define you? Is it you something you love? Or given the choice would you work part time or quit if you could?
Clauso 29 May 2016
In reply to Phil4000:

I work because I get enormous satisfaction from emptying bins.
 Phil1919 29 May 2016
In reply to Phil4000:

I like helping people and feeling useful.
Bogwalloper 29 May 2016
In reply to Phil4000:

I think I can honestly say there is no job in the world that would pull me away from climbing/surfing/snowboarding/partying my way around the world for the next 25 years if I won the lottery.

Wally

(Except maybe a fighter pilot)
Moley 29 May 2016
In reply to Bogwalloper:

> I think I can honestly say there is no job in the world that would pull me away from climbing/surfing/snowboarding/partying my way around the world for the next 25 years if I won the lottery.

> Wally

> (Except maybe a fighter pilot)

You are the kind of person who should win the lottery, I would feel that my monetary investment in a ticket was not wasted.
 tmawer 29 May 2016
In reply to Phil4000:

I work as I need a rest between climbing days!
 Big Ger 29 May 2016
In reply to Phil4000:

> So why work apart from the money?

I don't.

Chris Ridgers 29 May 2016
In reply to Phil4000:
Because I love my job. Its physical, challenging and just dam right dangerous! I also hate it for the same reasons. there is no pleasing some people!
 JoshOvki 29 May 2016
In reply to Phil4000:

Just money here. I enjoy my job (9/10 times), but if I could afford to stop working I would. Probably do charity work instead, or something that is more likely to make a difference.
In reply to Phil4000:

Love my work. Great team works for me, on the things I dreamed of doing as a kid. Pretty well totally flexible to work at home or arrange my week so I can get off to the crag or wall. Recently started leading some projects which if they go well, might actually make a difference. I'm not planning on retiring until I have to.
 arch 29 May 2016
In reply to Phil4000:

I don't dislike what I do for a living, but I wouldn't do it for nothing. The only reason I work is for the money. I'd finish work tomorrow if I could afford to.
 Trangia 29 May 2016
In reply to Phil4000:

Ah work to stop dah massa beating me.
Removed User 29 May 2016
In reply to Phil4000:

It's a vocation. Went into it largely due to personal experience. Wanted to help those in similar position. Still after decades in the job I'm still doing the hands on bit, no scrabbling up the greasy for me! Okay, it can leave me emotionally rung out but I live the job. Its an extraordinary job done by fantastically modest people who are supportive of each other in and out of work.

Worked part-time, 2×11.5 hours shifts for years. Enough to live on and plenty of time for outdoor stuff.

I feel sorry or the poor bastards I see trudging off to work in the dark satanic mills (offices). Get a proper job
 Dax H 29 May 2016
In reply to Phil4000:

I take great pride in my work and my ability to do it, at least once a week a customer gets me in because their guys can't sort out the problem and I diagnose it is seconds and fix it fast. It's a very good feeling.
But there is a metric shed load of stress that comes with my job so I would quit tomorrow if I could afford it.
The ideal solution would be to become a trouble shooter and leave all the routine stuff behind but without dealing with routine maintenance on all the equipment every day and from that learning how different problems evolve my diagnostic skills would get very rusty very fast.
 marsbar 29 May 2016
In reply to Phil4000:

Have you ever seen the look on a child's face when they don't understand, and then they when they suddenly get it?
In reply to Phil4000:

Money all the way. It a means to a retirement end.

Bit sad really
In reply to marsbar:

That look is priceless, you can get a similar look in adults when resolving conflicts.
 Mooncat 29 May 2016
In reply to Phil4000:

I tried retirement twice and realised it's not for me, removing the pressure of needing a job and being able to jack it all in if I feel like it makes my job (mainly) enjoyable.
 Andy Long 29 May 2016
In reply to arch:

> I don't dislike what I do for a living, but I wouldn't do it for nothing. The only reason I work is for the money. I'd finish work tomorrow if I could afford to.

Exactly how I felt before I retired and it didn't disappoint me. Not really cut out for work, but there were too many interests and activities to be supported. I now work for the best company in the World, and they can't sack me...
 elliott92 29 May 2016
In reply to Bogwalloper:

I'm with you on this. Apart from I think I would have managed to kill myself within 10 years
 Billhook 29 May 2016
In reply to Phil4000:

My work is one of my hobbies and I get paid too.
 Caralynh 29 May 2016
In reply to Phil4000:

Its fun
It's a vocation
I like helping people
Outside work noone gets our humour
It's a legalised way of joyriding and dealing in class A drugs

I don't have to work, financially, but for my own sanity I do!
 3leggeddog 29 May 2016
In reply to Phil4000:

I enjoy my job, it is having to work for a living that I object to. Were I independently wealthy, I may choose to work but to my own agenda.
 Bimble 29 May 2016
In reply to Phil4000:

I'd quite happily quit tomorrow (well, a week tomorrow as it's half term for me) and spend my time pottering around.
 Indy 29 May 2016
In reply to Clauso:

> I work because I get enormous satisfaction from emptying bins.

I can understand that. You can almost feel the McJob person punching the air when you say "Yes" to "...is that a large fries?" You can just imagine him thinking "Upsell, upsell.... get he f*ck out of my way Branson!"
 Jon Stewart 29 May 2016
In reply to Phil4000:

As well as the money, I need structure. Left to my own devices I think I'd struggle to find motivation to do stuff, and without the contrast against things I have to do, the things I choose to do would feel less enjoyable.

> Does your work define you? Is it you something you love?

I used to do a job that I really didn't like, didn't really fit with my identity and had a negative impact on the way I saw myself. While my work doesn't define me, it's now a better fit. I don't think I could go as far as saying I 'love' what I do, but aspects are very satisfying and absorbing.

> Or given the choice would you work part time or quit if you could?

Going part time as soon as I can. I would much rather have time than money, and I don't need a lot of the latter since I've got no kids to support and don't want a big house or a fancy car or anything like that. I just need to pay the bills and go on climbing trips, putting a bit away for when I'm older. There is no reason at all for me to work full time.
 Jim Fraser 31 May 2016
In reply to Phil4000:

Je suis un ingénieur.

Je suis ingénieux.
 JayPee630 31 May 2016
In reply to Phil4000:

I'd quit working tomorrow given the financial ability to do so. I'd have no problems filling my time, work gets in the way of all the things I want to do. And it wouldn't have to be a million pounds either, I'd pack it in for my housing being secure and paid off and then about £12,000 a year on top of that! Easy
 Rob Exile Ward 31 May 2016
In reply to Phil4000:

I must be a bit odd, but I don't think I can work just for the money - when it becomes a chore I always kick it into touch. That's (probably) cost me literally millions.

I'm struggling at the moment a bit, as I'm working to keep a few people employed and to not let a few customers/friends down, because other people have let me down; otherwise I'd quit tomorrow. (Though I know I'd putting feelers out the day after, just part time you understand.)

I've always found work a source of satisfaction and creativity. Those aren't synonymous with 'easy' or 'fun'.
 OwenM 31 May 2016
In reply to Phil4000:

Sorry, is this a trick question?

Ridge 01 Jun 2016
In reply to arch:

> I don't dislike what I do for a living, but I wouldn't do it for nothing. The only reason I work is for the money. I'd finish work tomorrow if I could afford to.

+1

I quite like my current job, but I'd retire tomorrow if I could. I don't know if I should be envious or pity people who live for their job.
 BnB 01 Jun 2016
In reply to Phil4000:

I've been an entrepreneur for a quarter of a century. I wouldn't do so for no potential financial reward as the pressures are significant. However, it gives structure to my life and constantly presents problems to solve and obstacles to overcome. Nevertheless, it is in the nature of entrepreneurship that some projects lose you money, you may wait a number of years for profits to develop, or you might just make a loss on any given year, so I guess that I do my job with the ever-present risk of going unpaid. Or worse, actually paying for the "privilege".

This is a good thing for me even if such challenges wouldn't necessarily appeal to everyone. I briefly tried retirement in my 30s after floating my first business and it wasn't long before I was tempted back into enterprise, although I did some very productive gardening in the interim.

Entrepreneurs don't find relaxation restful!!
 Tall Clare 01 Jun 2016
In reply to Phil4000:

I like the work I do much better now I freelance on a mix of things (and am also a student) - today, for instance, I'm on a train to Sheffield to assess a photography Masters. Getting paid to talk about photography - brilliant! And I don't have to get involved with the politics, so even better.

From talking to others over the last few years, I get the feeling that many of us would be far happier if our circumstances permitted a four day working week, enough to give a sense of purpose but not quite enough to grind us down. Not always that straightforward though!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...