UKC

Using a person as a weight bag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Wallace 29 May 2016
I'm heading up to Portland on Monday, the problem is both the people I'll be climbig with are too light to belay me from the ground unassisted (I'm around 12 stone they are around 8).

Does any one have any suggestions for good places to climb around Portland where a decent ground anchor can be set up?

Failing that would it be so bad to have the second person sitting on the ground attached to the belayer with a sling? I have never seen this done before.
 ashtond6 29 May 2016
In reply to Jack Wallace:

They aren't too light, providing there aren't ledges etc. Lots of 12+ stone climbers belay with a much lighter person
 marsbar 29 May 2016

I don't think I would attach the second person, just have them stood there aware of the situation and ready to grab the back of the harness if needed.
 deacondeacon 29 May 2016
She'll be fine belaying you, and you'll get a nice soft catch.
Make sure she's not belaying away from the wall though (she'll get pulled into the air a little).
 john spence 29 May 2016

I'm 9 stone and my regular partner is 13 stone, never had a problem in 20 yrs together, l've held him on trad multi pitch, sport and indoors. I'm very conscious of any slack in the system and it makes me a very attentive a belayer.
 Timmd 29 May 2016

As a 9 stone teenager I always managed to belay my 13 or 14 stone dad okay.
OP Jack Wallace 29 May 2016

Thanks for the responses, I guess I'll just have to make sure she is paying attention
 dobby 200 29 May 2016
If your worried about it then having an extra person attached with a sling or clove hitched to the belayer will work very much like a ground anchor at an indoor wall.
Or having the extra person holding the back of the belayers harness will help to keep them near the floor, but give them more movement if needed.

Cheyne wears is mostly on a boulder beach, so you might be able to find an appropriate boulder to attach the belayer to.
 jsmcfarland 29 May 2016

It drives me crazy seeing the number of people clipped to weight bags or ground anchors at my local gyms, even though they are the exact same size and weight. I literally have to fight the urge to ask them why they are using that system.

slightly more on topic, I wouldn't worry about 12/8 stone difference. Just be more aware of what is going on around the first/second bolt etc as they are likely to give you a bigger catch than someone heavier. Enjoy! (I miss Portland)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...