UKC

NEWS: Schubert and Škofic on the 9a+ send train at Flatanger

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 30 May 2016
Domen Skofic on Thor's hammer, 9a+, Flatanger, Norway, 4 kbJakob Schubert and Domen Škofic have repeated one 9a+ each at Flatanger, Norway. Jakob did Kangaroo's Limb while Domen did Thor's hammer.

Jakob and Domen are up at Flatanger in Norway to climb in the Hanshelleren cave. Unfortunately they can't stay so long this time,...

Read more
 bouldery bits 30 May 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Choo choo - all aboard the send train.
 Robert Durran 30 May 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Surely the send train metaphor only makes sense if two or more climbers do the same route.
 andrewmc 30 May 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:
The send train makes many stops, although its route is mysterious and its timetable unpredictable...
Post edited at 18:43
 jon 30 May 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

I think it's great that Björn has risen to the challenge!
 slab_happy 30 May 2016
In reply to Chris Harris:

I rather like the idea that the UKC editors looked at that thread and thought "Okay, what'll *really* wind them up?"
 Robert Durran 30 May 2016
In reply to slab_happy:
> I rather like the idea that the UKC editors looked at that thread and thought "Okay, what'll *really* wind them up?"

It's just click bait. I mean who these days would bother clicking on "Eurowad A and Eurowad B do Clip-Up X and Clip-Up Y with Big Grades".
Post edited at 19:46
 samwillo 31 May 2016
In reply to UKC News:

To be fair to the UKC editors, the headline is almost a direct quote from Domen Skofic's instagram:

> 'Yesterday @jakob.schubert and I hopped on a sending train. He fired of the shortest (Kangaroo's Limb) and I the longest 9a+ of the cave! After 4 days of work I was able to finish my by far the longest, nicest and hardest route so far, Thor's hammer 9a+. We didn't have enough and later both did Nordic Flower 8c, Jakob onsighted and I flashed it right after. (c) Elias Holzknecht '

And to the mutterings of 'send train, well that's not very British', well Domen is actually Slovenian and therefore far more likely to have learnt English with Americanisms (US films, popular culture ect.) as opposed to Queen's English. Clearly his underlying message is 'we had a really good day climbing' and we should perhaps focus on that, instead of the word choice.
 slab_happy 31 May 2016
In reply to samwillo:

I find "hopped on a sending train" a rather delightful turn of phrase, and a great improvement on plain "send train"; I'd like to lobby for it to be more widely adopted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...