UKC

Dolomites Via ferrata route conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 timmy a 30 May 2016
I'm heading to do some of the higher via ferrata routes in the dolomites in a few weeks and trying to find somewhere online where I can get a steer on current route conditions.

Can anyone point me at a website that has this sort of info please?

I spent a week on the Brenta range in June 2014 and was suprised by how much snow/ice we found, which in some cases was causing routes to be closed (which I may add only made them more sporting, with the correct gear). Hoping to find a similar situation this year but would like to know conditions before hand so a little more mentally prepared and as I am with a different group that I may decide not to take on anything too serious.

Cheers
 yelotango 30 May 2016
In reply to timmy a:
From the Cortina guides website for routes nearby
https://www.guidedolomiti.com/en/ferrate-open-closed/
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 30 May 2016
In reply to timmy a:

Hi Timmy,

There isn't a specific conditions page (or I certainly don't know of one if there is).

Your best bet is contacting any of the Guides offices (they normally speak good English).

The webcams are also a good resource: http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/live-info/webcams

Currently a lot of snow on anything over 2200m that isn't south or west facing. Many of the lower via ferratas are good to go though. You'll just have to give some thought to the groups ability and your chosen route.

A few ideas for good early season routes:

Col dei Bois
Ski club 18
Ettore Bovero
Michielli Strobel
Franco Gadotti

Enjoy your trip!
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 30 May 2016
In reply to yelotango:

Great resource. Run by a friend as well!
 yelotango 31 May 2016
In reply to James Rushforth:

I`m heading out in 3weeks, looks like there`s been a considerable thaw this week.
I`ve done all the lower routes listed above (except Gadotti).
What are the chances the higher routes on Tofana, Sorapiss and Marmolada will be in condition?
How about Molignon, your book makes it sound appealing
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 02 Jun 2016
In reply to yelotango:

I think in three weeks there will be more in condition, the snow's going quite fast at the moment. The Marmolada West ridge will be good to go as it often has snow on it anyway (just watch out for hidden crevasses).

Tofana and Sorapiss will require some winter kit and experience I would imagine if you're going to attempt them - preferably early and after a cold night.

I've not been over Molignon way so I couldn't tell you how the snow is doing. I suspect it will probably be okay in three weeks though I'd certainly take a rope just incase if you're thinking of heading over to take a look.

A lot depends on the weather through June.
 Phil_ncl 02 Jun 2016
In reply to yelotango:

This is what I've used and generally accurate for the Falzarago pass and Cortina area. You can ask the tourist info and the guys at the lifts (if open) too. They generally have a good feel for what is open.

These web cams give a feel for the conditions on the Falazrego Pass where the higher ones are around Cortina.
http://www.dovesciare.it/webcam/falzarego
http://www.rifugiolagazuoi.com

nb. the Toffana's especially and VF Tomaselli don't tend to have the nicest snow conditions earlier in the season.

OP timmy a 09 Jun 2016
In reply to Phil_ncl:

Thanks to everyone for the posts... spot on
 yelotango 03 Jul 2016
In reply to timmy a:

for info did Molignon / Laurenzi yesterday. VF clear of snow, some patches on the summit. Took crampons but did not need to use them. Snow on the path to Passo Antermoia. Descended by the Santner Pass VF, some deep snow but did not affect the route. Also did Maximillian, Gadotti, Masare & Roda di Vael all clear of snow.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 03 Jul 2016
In reply to yelotango:

Good tick list. Did you enjoy them?
OP timmy a 26 Jul 2016

Thanks James, I have just added your book to my collection of rather old Cicerone guides! I think yours will do me well.
 yelotango 27 Jul 2016
sorry for late reply.
Santner pass interesting alternative approach to the Rosengarten, easy climbing.
Maximillian good views, one silly move - good as a half day from the Rif.
Gadotti eay climbing with good view of Val di Fassa.
Roda da Vael, good for beginners with the option of continuing onto Masare, climbed it in cloud.
Also did M4, asked the driver of the val San Nicolo shuttle to drop me off at the start.
Muddy start was intimidating, traverse pitch not as bad as expected, final 2 sections reminded me of Sci18.
Also visited Brenta Dolomites & did Sent. Benini, Bochette Alte & Centrale and SOSAT.
Aiming to do the routes on Marmolada, Tofana & Sorapiss to complete the routes in your guidebook.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...