UKC

Today at the 2nd Test

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Well an eventful Test.

The normal stutter by England before Woakes and Ali steadying the ship with Ali going on to make a big 150 n.o. (I was there t watch it!).

Hearth got his 300th wicket, he must be the only hobbit to take 300 wickets. An impressive feat considering that for a large chunk of his career he had Muri taking wickets at the other end.

Total shambles of a first innings by SL. Excellent bowling by England and an awesome catch from Root towards the ed.

Very impressive gritty fight back from SL in their second innings but not enough due to the massive lead after the shambolic first innings. Jimmy becomes the first Pom to take 450 wickets.

England only need 79 to win and at tea are 33/0 so it should be a formality. Cook becomes the 1st Englishman to score 10,000 Test runs and gets slated on cricinfo for having a low average.

Gone for good 30 May 2016
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

I suppose Sri Lanka made a better fist of their second innings but I wonder if test cricket can survive these one sided affairs where one team completely dominates over an entire series.

Ps. Surely Jimmy Anderson is only a POM when he tours Australia? The term seems a bit misplaced when used in the context of Sri Lanka.

In reply to Gone for good:

Last time SL toured it went to the last ball at Headingley

In the winter the series against Pakistan was also very exciting with England only failing in a run chase because of light.

Last years Ashes was 3-2.

England won 2-1 in South Africa

So I don't think that we are seeing one side dominate for a whole series all of the time
Gone for good 30 May 2016
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

No we're not but these last 2 tests were a total shambles for Sri Lanka.

Also, England have suffered white washes on 2 out the last 3 test series in Australia with a solitary series win in 2011.
I seem to remember England losing the series against Pakistan 2 -0. England didn't win any of the 3 tests last winter in the UAE.
They were also 3 - 1 up against the Aussies last year as well as going 2 nil up against South Africa, neither of those series were nail biters with England contriving to lose the final test having dominated both series.
I suppose it says a lot about the progress of the England team over the past 10 years when the public start moaning about the poor quality of the opposition. ☺

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...