UKC

RIP Harambe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 30 May 2016

This is the second instance of a majestic animal being destroyed because of acts of stupidity by humans. Not many days ago an idiot in South America stripped naked and jumped into the lion enclosure in an apparent suicide bid. The lion did what their instinct decreed and mauled him so it was shot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/29/ohio-zoo-kills-gorilla-to-protec...

Now a parent apparently fails to control a child who finds his way into the gorilla pen. I have read suggestions, however, that in this instance the gorilla acted protectively towards the child but was still shot.

No doubt there are all sorts of arguments for and against destroying the animal in such cases but I do feel sympathy for them in that they were killed merely for acting as nature intended.
Post edited at 18:31
Gone for good 30 May 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

> www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/29/ohio-zoo-kills-gorilla-to-protect-small-child-in-enclosure/

> No doubt there are all sorts of arguments for and against destroying the animal in such cases but I do feel sympathy for them in that they were killed merely for acting as nature intended.

It's hard not to feel sympathy for the Gorilla. The Zoo has said it's policy is to protect human life at all costs even if it means killing the prize exhibits. I suppose that's meant to be reassuring for the Zoo going general public but it's hardly fair that idiotic humans don't have to take responsibility for their own stupid actions.
 Rampikino 30 May 2016

I tend to agree. As a life member at Chester Zoo we go regularly with our little girl. If she managed to get into one of the enclosures we would have nobody to blame but ourselves.

It's heartbreaking to see stupidity lead to this animal being shot dead.
 Yanis Nayu 30 May 2016

A very saddening story. It looked like the gorilla was protecting the child too.
In reply to Gone for good:

>The Zoo has said it's policy is to protect human life at all costs

But not, apparently, the cost of building a fence around the exhibit that could keep a small child out?
 Robert Durran 30 May 2016
In reply to Rampikino:
> I tend to agree. As a life member at Chester Zoo we go regularly with our little girl. If she managed to get into one of the enclosures we would have nobody to blame but ourselves.

I think it is more relevant whether the child deserved to be mauled to death rather than whether the parents deserved to have their child dead.
Post edited at 19:08
 Robert Durran 30 May 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> It looked like the gorilla was protecting the child too.

There was an expert on primate behaviour on the radio saying that there is really no way of knowing.

Indy 30 May 2016

> animal being destroyed because of acts of stupidity by humans.

What???

A man who was mentally ill decides to get naked and commit suicide by being eaten by lions. So your saying he should be allowed to be eaten? What next sell tickets?

The fact that a young boy can find a way to fall into an animal enclosure says more about the Zoo's poor design than an incompetent parent.
 Rampikino 30 May 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

None of that is what I was saying.
OP FesteringSore 30 May 2016
In reply to Indy:

So the destruction of the animals is justified?
 Indy 30 May 2016

Yes.

By contrast, a rather refreshing Australian view

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/may/30/mp-warren-entsch-blam...

In terms of victim-blaming, you can't really beat 'if you go into the water at 10 pm, you're going to get consumed.'

jcm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...