UKC

Suspect Rock on a Climb - Carreg Wastad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Morgan 30 May 2016
Encountered some very suspect rock on Overhanging Chimney Variation (VS 4c) at Carreg Wastad, on the 2nd pitch with the chimney. Immediately below the huge chockstone, there is a prominent flake-like projection that would be very tempting for people to pull on as they overcome the strenuous crux. Although my partner mostly avoided it on lead, I did pull on this and to my horror it moved (but stayed in place).

I know in climbing we need to assess rock quality and there are certain risks we accept. I just wanted to point this out, as it seems to be at the crux where it is very tempting to grab - and it could really ruin somebody's day. If anybody can suggest a contact who this could be reported to then let me know (in case anybody local wants to take a look).
 zimpara 30 May 2016
In reply to Rob Morgan:

Most people secretly get rid of risky looking rock on the quiet, when they come across it. If it's easily got rid of. Just take it, drop it on next belay ledge, hide it under a boulder, make a new chockstone somewhere else on route...

I would hope and assume most people trad climb with the mentality that everything could be lose. Probably not breaking news, nice thought though.
 jezb1 30 May 2016
In reply to Rob Morgan:

It's Wastad, half the crag is loose...

I know the flake you mean though, it's the kind of hold I'd always tap to check before I pulled on it.

Personally I don't think anything needs to be done but if you do, get in touch with the BMC.
OP Rob Morgan 30 May 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Thanks - the thought did cross my mind after but looking back it was a busy day (bank holiday sunday) and the rock is fairly huge!
OP Rob Morgan 30 May 2016
In reply to jezb1:

Fair play, perhaps I'm being over cautious. I'm not familiar with the crag so it stood out to me. I will think about contacting the BMC.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...