UKC

Were you filming from a drone at Stanage over bank holiday?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 two_tapirs 31 May 2016
I was climbing at Stanage Plantation over the bank holiday weekend, and on the Saturday there was drone high above there and Stanage Popular; if it was you, have you posted footage online anywhere?
Cheers
 SenzuBean 31 May 2016
In reply to two_tapirs:

Careful - your post could be seen to be encouraging them.
 pebbles 31 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

I was hoping he was going to offer to shoot the next one he saw out of the sky....
 balmybaldwin 01 Jun 2016
In reply to two_tapirs:

I wasn't but i'll post on a drone site see if I get any response. (I race drones, I dont film things - it's really boring flying)
 Chris Harris 01 Jun 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> I race drones

How often do you beat them?
 Slarti B 03 Jun 2016
In reply to two_tapirs:

Nothing to do with the topic but I am fascinated by your user name. Why 2 tapirs, wasn't one enough?
 ScottTalbot 03 Jun 2016
In reply to pebbles:

I have to say, they don't really bother me. They've changed the game for amateur film makers!
 pebbles 03 Jun 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:
extremely irritating when you've gone to a quiet mountain crag, you're enjoying the atmosphere then suddenly there's an unholy buzzing as somebody the other side of the hill clocks you, decides it would be interesting to watch and hangs 20m above your head filming while you grit your teeth and consider purchasing ground to air weaponry
 ScottTalbot 03 Jun 2016
In reply to pebbles:

I'm sure it is, but why is your enjoyment paramount to theirs? I don't have any difficulty zoning out from that sort of thing, although I might feel different if it was close enough to be interfering with what I was doing..

Don't get me wrong, I like the peace and solitude wild places can give you, but if something interferes with that.... C'est la Vie!
Andy Gamisou 03 Jun 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

> I'm sure it is, but why is your enjoyment paramount to theirs?

Any objection if I come around to watch you and your partner screwing? No? Good - oh. Please PM me your address and expected time of next show.
 Oceanrower 03 Jun 2016
In reply to Willi Crater:

You don't quite seem to have got the hang of public areas and private areas.

ScottTalbot 03 Jun 2016
In reply to Willi Crater:

> Any objection if I come around to watch you and your partner screwing? No? Good - oh. Please PM me your address and expected time of next show.

I tend not to screw in public places nowadays, but if it happens, I'll call you. Feel free to bring your drone!
Andy Gamisou 03 Jun 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

> I tend not to screw in public places nowadays, but if it happens, I'll call you. Feel free to bring your drone!

Looking forward to it. Woof woof!
Andy Gamisou 03 Jun 2016
In reply to Oceanrower:
> You don't quite seem to have got the hang of public areas and private areas.

True. Maybe why I keep getting arrested.
Post edited at 22:47
 pebbles 03 Jun 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:
> I'm sure it is, but why is your enjoyment paramount to theirs?
because there's a difference between every one enjoying the crag in their own way, and rude and intrusive behaviour. If they just want to drone the cliff that's one thing. Their remote controlled camera hanging behind me as I climb is quite another, it's an invasion of my pesonal space just as much as if they walked up and started filming me without asking.
However I won't be debating etiquette with the next one to do so, I'll be lobbing pebbles at it.
Post edited at 23:06
 FreshSlate 03 Jun 2016
In reply to pebbles:

Do you encounter many drones at quiet mountain crags?
 Dax H 04 Jun 2016
In reply to pebbles:

> extremely irritating when you've gone to a quiet mountain crag, you're enjoying the atmosphere then suddenly there's an unholy noise as lumps of aluminium start clattering together like cow bells and you hear the calls of take, safe and climb when ready echoing out over the landscape.

Jim C 04 Jun 2016
In reply to pebbles:

>Their remote controlled camera hanging behind me as I climb is quite another, it's an invasion of my pesonal space just as much as if they walked up and started filming me without asking.

It is very dangerous to point a film camera at a climber, they are very likely to burst into a spontaneous song and dance routine , with possible fatal consequences ( and worse some very bad acting

pebbles 04 Jun 2016
In reply to Dax H:

It's not just the noise it's the invasion of privacy. would you think it was ok to walk up to someone and stand behind them videoing without even asking their permission? then why do you think it's ok to do so with a drone?
 pebbles 04 Jun 2016
In reply to FreshSlate:
clearly yes I did, otherwise why would I have made that post? not a soul on my side of the hill, just a drone from some lazy bastard down in the valley over the other side who couldn't be arsed to walk up themselves but had just bought a new toy
Post edited at 08:31
 johncook 04 Jun 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Go to the BMC Peak Area notes, from the last meeting, where it spells out the legal position in relation to drones and their use. You appear to be condoning illegality
 Dax H 04 Jun 2016
In reply to pebbles:

> would you think it was ok to walk up to someone and stand behind them videoing without even asking their permission? then why do you think it's ok to do so with a drone?

I would not like someone following me around filming but you can film what you like in a public place.
Personally I am not a fan of drones, I was just pointing out that you were complaining of noise in a quiet location yet you were there to climb potentially causing noise for other people.
If it was a remote crag you were possibly pissing off the drone pilot by being in his shot when he tracked up there to be alone with his toy.
Also what makes you think he was too lazy to walk up there. Just because you couldn't see him doesn't mean he could not see his drone and as long as he kept the required space from you then he is doing nothing wrong.

pebbles 04 Jun 2016
In reply to Dax H:

It's all about not being a git. there's no law against walking up to someone and filming them without their permission in a public space...I suggest you try it and see what reaction you get. In a pub might be fun.... Likewise it's generally accepted that playing loud music at the crag is selfish and obnoxious. Enjoy what you do but not at the expense of spoiling other people's enjoyment. If people enjoy playing round with their remote controlled cameras that's fine by me so long as they respect other people's personal space and don't make nuisances of themselves.
 pebbles 04 Jun 2016
In reply to Dax H:

I don't think we were "pissing him off" we were on the second pitch of our route when the drone bobbed up, it then bobbed about 10 metres just above and behind us for a considerable time, quite obviously the operator had thought "ooh iv found something interesting to watch". It was very distracting and I had to make a conscious effort to ignore it and focus on belaying, had I not been belaying I would probably have chucked something at it
 pebbles 04 Jun 2016
In reply to Dax H:

and unless he had a periscope to see over the top off the hill and down the other side where we were it was clearly NOT in his line of sight. since there are obviously a few drone enthusiasts here can I just give advance warning...next time someone does this while I'm climbing, their toy will be getting rocks lobbed at it.
 radddogg 04 Jun 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

I'm also sure walkers might find the constant jangling of hexes annoying too
 FactorXXX 04 Jun 2016
In reply to radddogg:

I'm also sure walkers might find the constant jangling of hexes annoying too

How sure?
In my experience, non-climbers are quite fascinated by the antics of climbers. Which might be why people with drones want to film them...
Lusk 04 Jun 2016
In reply to radddogg:

Well, I don't mind ramblers singing whilst going on their merry way ...
http://mysongbook.de/msb/songs/m/manchest.html
 radddogg 04 Jun 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

> I'm also sure walkers might find the constant jangling of hexes annoying too

> How sure?

> In my experience, non-climbers are quite fascinated by the antics of climbers. Which might be why people with drones want to film them...

In my experience, non-droners are quite fascinated by the antics of drones.
 ScottTalbot 04 Jun 2016
In reply to johncook:

> Go to the BMC Peak Area notes, from the last meeting, where it spells out the legal position in relation to drones and their use. You appear to be condoning illegality

I actually think the laws on Drones are too tight. It's getting to the point where they can't legally be flown at all, without infringing one law or another.
One of my mates has a drone, and is actually selling it because he doesn't get to use it, due to all the new restrictions. He's very law abiding, whereas I personally think, as long as you're not putting someone else at risk, do what you like!
 balmybaldwin 04 Jun 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

There aren't any "new" restrictions in the UK. He just wasn't aware of the laws- they've been in place 30+ years.

Dax H 04 Jun 2016
In reply to pebbles:

For the record I am against drones, just decided to play devil's advocate.
If it was within 10mtr of you then by all means hoy a rock at it
as for filling in public, I have filmed and been filmed, never had a problem
 Oogachooga 05 Jun 2016
In reply to pebbles:

Anchor in and get naked singing Spice Girls - 2 become 1

More interesting for them than climbing.
 FactorXXX 05 Jun 2016
In reply to Oogachooga:

Anchor in and get naked singing Spice Girls - 2 become 1
More interesting for them than climbing.

Even better, partake in some clucking...
 krikoman 07 Jun 2016
In reply to pebbles:

> I was hoping he was going to offer to shoot the next one he saw out of the sky....

"Were you filming from a drone at Stanage over bank holiday?"

If you want the bits back.............................
cb294 07 Jun 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

The difference should be obvious. Flying drones in a quiet environment is the same category as motorbikes with open exhausts, loud music at the crag, or climbing in large, noisy groups.

CB
 ScottTalbot 07 Jun 2016
In reply to cb294:
> The difference should be obvious. Flying drones in a quiet environment is the same category as motorbikes with open exhausts, loud music at the crag, or climbing in large, noisy groups.

> CB

Motorbikes with open exhausts are illegal, so you have every right to complain about that. The loud music can be a pain if it's something your ears find truly offensive, but on the whole doesn't bother me. As for the "large, noisy groups'... Are you serious? Groups of people, enjoying the climbing? I'm not having that.. Ban them all!!!!
Post edited at 11:01
cb294 07 Jun 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Yes I am serious. If you want to party do it where it does not bother anyone else.

CB
 ScottTalbot 07 Jun 2016
In reply to cb294:

> Yes I am serious. If you want to party do it where it does not bother anyone else.

> CB

Maybe we have crossed wires with our definition of large groups of noisy climbers... That doesn't convey partying to me.

Before this thread, I was starting to feel old at 44, but I feel positively young now! Thank you all for making my week haha! :-P
 Nevis-the-cat 07 Jun 2016
In reply to two_tapirs:

Nothing to do with your OP.

Just a commendable user name.

May your life be blessed with ungulatory joy....

Rubbishy
 FreshSlate 07 Jun 2016
In reply to pebbles:
> clearly yes I did, otherwise why would I have made that post? not a soul on my side of the hill, just a drone from some lazy bastard down in the valley over the other side who couldn't be arsed to walk up themselves but had just bought a new toy

Well as most drones have less than 20 minute flight times, you can't go too far off the beaten track. Being 10 minutes drone distance away from the road should see you safe.
Post edited at 18:03
 Fraser 07 Jun 2016
In reply to pebbles:

Out of curiosity, how far does your 'personal space' extend?

cb294 07 Jun 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

No worries, I don´t mind groups having fun climbing. It is actually different when hiking: If groups become too big (say 20 people), they tend to become very noisy (and e.g. chase away all wildlife) and become extremely cumbersome to pass, which they would not do if splitting up between rests.

CB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...