UKC

blizzard bag vs sol emergency bivvy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
le_quack 01 Jun 2016
Hey. I'm reviewing my emergency kit before a solo hut to hut in Scandinavia this month and I was wondering if anyone had any experience/opinions with either the sol emergency bivvy or the blizzard survival bag or if possible both. As I'm hut to hut I'm not planning on bringing a tent or "proper" bivvy but I feel the need to bring something just in case the worst happens and they both seem to fit the bill but I've never used (or even see out of the packaging) either.

Thanks

J
 Luke90 01 Jun 2016
In reply to le_quack:

I bought my girlfriend a Blizzard Bag a few years ago and she hardly ever takes it anywhere because it's actually quite substantial. They look like quite different products really, in the sense that the Blizzard Bag is much bigger and almost four times the weight. Depending on how lightweight you're going with the rest of your kit, it could be quite a substantial addition. I guess it depends on how much weight you're willing to carry for an emergency option.
 Dr.S at work 01 Jun 2016
In reply to le_quack:

I think if you are taking a sleeping bag, I'd take a bivi bag rather than a blizzard bag (or similar). The sleeping bag should cover you for insulation and so you just need wind/water proofing.
le_quack 02 Jun 2016
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Yeah I'm taking a quilt rather than a bag but I was more concerned with how tough the sol bivvy is, I'd rather have something dependable that will work. I don't want something like the old mylar space blankets that may reflect all that heat but just get shredded in anything more than a light breeze.

The newer model blizzard are lighter than
used to be but are still 280g which does seem alot for a just in case item where just over 100g for the sol bivvy seems more acceptable but not having seen one I didn't know what there usability is actually like and I'm heading north of the artic circle even in june/july sub zero temperatures, rain/snow and storm force winds are all a possibility
 Mountain Llama 02 Jun 2016
In reply to le_quack:

I carry the blizzard bag for winter trips and the sol for summer. Both hide in the bottom of my sack and take up little space and weigh very little.

The sol is made from very thin foil type material and will not take much abuse.

The idea of a bivvy bag is good to use with your quilt.

I do not think there will be any significant weight difference between the blizzard bag and a bivvy bag. I would take what ever item you think you will use the most in the future, so you get the best option for your money.

Hope that helps, Davey.
 galpinos 02 Jun 2016
In reply to le_quack:

They are very different products.

The SOL is about the size of an apple (packed), 100g and basically thin foil blanket material. I take one when doing Mountain Marathons (compulsory kit) and might chuck it in in the summer.

The Blizzard Bag is 380g, 0.9l when packed and a lot warmer and robust. The kind of thing you might take if you were out in bad weather on a Scottish winter day.

If you are hut to hutting them I guess you've got a sleeping bag in which case I've be taking a bivy bag..... An Alpkit Hunka is 330g so lighter than a blizzard bag and would mean you could spend a comfortable night in extremis....
 StuDoig 02 Jun 2016
In reply to le_quack:

As other folk have said SOL is much lighter and combined with a sleeping bag would be pretty effective (if you'll be with a mate consider the 2 man design - much warmer). If your sleeping bag gets soaked though - you've lost all your insulation. It's also more delicate and if you tear it, it'll shred it's self pretty quickly in windy conditions. I've got one for MMs and light weight days (or conversely bothy trips etc where I've loads of other warm stuff anyway).

Blizzard bag is heavy but hugely warm on it's own (much more so than the sol or a bivvy bag.) more like a sleeping bag than a bivvi bag! I carry one year round in Scotland normally. I've played a casualty in training exercises both with and without and it was a hugely different experience even in summer.

Downside is once it's out of it's vacuum pack, you'll need a spare rucksack to carry it as it expands a massive amount!!!

If I had a sleeping bag, and was expecting no more than a night out in bad weather at worst, I'd go with the SOL. If expecting (or threatened with) having to sit it out for multiple nights in bad weather the Blizzard.

Cheers,

Stu
 andrewmc 02 Jun 2016
In reply to StuDoig:

> If your sleeping bag gets soaked though - you've lost all your insulation.

Only if it's down!

(although obviously much better to keep it dry even if it is synthetic)
 tjin 03 Jun 2016
In reply to StuDoig:

Actually the SOL is made of a material that doesn't tear like mylar does. It streches and keep giving resistance if you try to rip it.

The Blizzard is mylar and it will rip if you damage it. But because of the baffle design it does have a lot of stops where the rips would be stopped.

Wouldn't say that a soak syntheric sleepingbag is much use either...
 StuDoig 03 Jun 2016
In reply to andrewmcleod:

how often have you tried a soaked synthetic bag??? Crap budget bivvi bag meant I got caught once and can vouch that after they are soaked they there is bugger all warmth left in them. Its the difference between loosing all their insulating properties and almost all their insulating properties. Plus a wet layer next to your skin (and if your bag is soaked so will you be) multiplies the rate of heat loss by something like 15 x, so I'm fairly happy to say once your synthetic bag is soaked you'll lost your insulation to be honest.

Damp is different - synthetic would make a difference there over down there!

Cheers!

Stu
 StuDoig 03 Jun 2016
In reply to tjin:

Fair enough, you can feel it's a different material - though I've seen a SOL shredded in high wind after the user put their foot through it. In fairness I've never seen someone put their foot through a blizzard bag to do a comparative test though.

the SOL is massively better feeling material than the cheap 1st aid kit versions without a doubt but I doubt it'd last a night in high winds once torn tbh. Possibly the moral though is not to put a hole in your survival bag!

Totally agree - soaked sleeping bag = useless regardless of filling type!

Cheers!

Stu
 Dr.S at work 03 Jun 2016
In reply to le_quack:
I'd also throw a Bothy bag in as an idea, especially if two of you or more - a more flexible item.
Post edited at 11:51
 galpinos 03 Jun 2016
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Pretty rubbish on a solo trip though as per the OP.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...