UKC

Chamonix for the Non-Climber Girlfriend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Chris Ellyatt 03 Jun 2016
Hey people!

It's been a while since I was on here, but I'm in need of a little advice.

I planned a trip for two weeks in Chamonix starting Sunday. Originally I was supposed to be trail running, but it's morphed into more of a holiday for the first week when my girlfriend will be joining me. The second week has now morphed into an alpine climbing trip. Such is life!

Anyway, here's the deal. She isn't super outdoorsy, but clearly her attendance on this trip means she is making an effort to try and do stuff I am interested in. I'd like to get her out on a couple of mid-level hikes in order to get her excited about the outdoors, but obviously I don't want to go too mental and put her off either!

It would be really helpful if anyone could suggest some other activities in the area that would mean more chance of returning to the Alps in the future. I've planned a day trip to Annecy, but apart from that I'm a little unsure. I'm guessing there's a few touristy things to look at? She loves food, art, culture etc.

Any help much appreciated!

Doug 03 Jun 2016
In reply to Chris Ellyatt:

If you have some good weather take her for a walk along the Balcon Nord, probably best accessed via the Flegère cable car rather than walking up from the valley. A detour to the Lac Blanc is worthwhile, both for the views & for a drink or something to eat at the hut.

For culture, consider the Fondation Pierre Gianadda just over the frontier in Martigny, as well as the permanent collection, there's an exhibition of work by Zao Wou-Ki - see http://www.gianadda.ch/wq_pages/fr/expositions/
(combine with a stop to see the view from the Col du Montet for some bouldering ?)
Rigid Raider 03 Jun 2016
I strongly recommend the trip up the Midi. On the way back down you can get out at Plan de L'Aiguille then walk for a delighful couple of hours along the Grand Balcon Nord to Montenvers; your cable car tickets are valid to go down on the train. Approaching Montenvers the route splits and you have a choce of easy and scenic 500 ft climb then descent or no climbing but more exposed straight around the rocks. We did the latter with a child but he did choose to slip on an exposed bit.

A day in Megeve would be nice, it's a pretty village with a great pool and dry luge. Also if you've got a car a trip round to Samoens (market day best) then up the valley to Fer a Cheval. And as you've mentioned, Annecy is great for a day out.

One superb walk would be from Sixt Fer a Cheval via Anterne and the Brevent cable car back to Chamonix, which would require a night in the Chalet D'Anterne, a pleasant introduction to Alpine walking.

Edit: Balcon Sud faces south and Nord faces north.
Post edited at 13:54
 GrahamD 03 Jun 2016

For an easy hike you can use the cable cars on the opposite side of the valley to do a highish level walk between cable cars without too much up and down and great scenery. The ice cave on the mer du glace if its still there (up via the train, obviously).
 liz j 03 Jun 2016

Plenty of things to do, the Luge and Rope Course at Planards is a good fun afternoon, if it's open.

There is an animal park above Le Houches, the Merlet Animal Parc.

Take the train upto Le Buet and go for a lovely walk into the Berard Valley (check that the trail is open though as I think the bridge got washed away a little while ago).

There is a thermal spa in Saint Gervais.

Not sure if they might still be covered in snow, but there are dinosaur footprints to be found near the Emosson Dam.

Pete Houghton 03 Jun 2016
In reply to liz j:

"check that the trail is open though as I think the bridge got washed away a little while ago"

All bridges present and correct, no problems in the Berard Valley.

Also, instead of the Merlet animal park above Les Houches, there is a much bigger, better, and cheaper one above Argentiere, it's called the Aiguilles Rouges Nature Reserve.
 jcw 03 Jun 2016

Careful about lift openings. Aig Rouges side and Vallorcine area does not open until 11 June, and Gds Montets 25th. Aig du Midi ok don't know about Mer de Glacé, prob open. Depends how rich you are feeling. Through the tunnel and up Val Ferret or Val Veni, and if a fine day A. du Midi to Helbronner sensational. But expensive. As someone has suggested Martigny: might be interesting to do it by train. And second Fer Sixt area. Gorges de Diosaz if they are open (Servoz). And if down there go and look at the big waterfall near Cluses.
 CurlyStevo 03 Jun 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

The cable car up the midi and walk sound like a good plan. I'd add that taking the cable car accross vallee blanche from Aiguille du Midi is worthwhile also.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...