UKC

Just stop doing it----!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 George Allan 04 Jun 2016
To the 'artist(s)' who created a stone circle on the top of Sgurr Thuilm:

-your creation is no more.
-when you next have an overwhelming desire to build something on top of a hill, please take three deep breaths and relax with a Mars bar.

George
 d_b 04 Jun 2016
In reply to George Allan:

And take the wrapper home.
 sbc_10 04 Jun 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> And take the wrapper home.

...wrapped around a banana skin...
abseil 04 Jun 2016

> To the 'artist(s)' who created a stone circle on the top of Sgurr Thuilm:

> -your creation is no more....

How dare you destroy my work of art!!! That took weeks to build, and was worth millions!!!?!
 marsbar 04 Jun 2016

Mr marsbar would not like that.
 FactorXXX 04 Jun 2016

please take three deep breaths and relax with a Mars bar.

Isn't that what Mick Jagger said to Marianne Faithfull?
OP George Allan 05 Jun 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

Apparently- and it worked as you can't accuse her of creating 'art' works on hills!

Build Stonehenge and you make a national monument. Build a stone circle and you have to eat a Mars bar!
Donald82 05 Jun 2016

boo!
billy no-mates 05 Jun 2016

> -when you next have an overwhelming desire to build something on top of a hill,

George, someones built a cafe on top of Snowdon! And there is one most of the way up Cairngorm as well! Not just that, but they built railways to get to them too!!!!! I've also spotted a summit shelter on Ben Nevis, and Imperial Probe Droid like weather station on Cairngorm too! Trig points were the thin edge of the wedge, I mean they must have done all the measurements they need by now and they leave concrete statues on the very tops of hills?!

I know you must be new to the hills, having not heard of them before, but I entirely support your desire to rid the hills of these artificial creations. I think we should also take the roads back, get rid of them, make it natural. Remove the bridges too, artificial creations. After that villages, towns and cities. Soon after the plague will take most of human life and it will be just you.

Out of curiosity, how stone age do you go? Do you full naked, or rationalise with furs? I'd love to go full buff, but need inspiration.

Sent from my cave wall in charcoal.
In reply to billy no-mates:

Okay, okay- you've convinced me- the hills definitely need some sprucing up! I am off to an art class so when I am next up a hill, I can move lots of stones leaving holes in the turf and then build some form of sculpture for all the world to admire.
 Scomuir 05 Jun 2016

Which Sgurr Thuilm do you mean? Not that it should make much difference, but if it's the one on Skye, the I presume you'll have had a busy day dismantling all the other stone circles located in the Cuillin (which are used as bivvy spots)?
Lusk 05 Jun 2016

You can come and give my wife (along with thousands of others) a bollocking for writing her name out on the top of Knocknarea in stones if you like. Give that Queen Maev a good telling off as well while you're at it!
In reply to Scomuir:

Glen Pean
In reply to Lusk:

--and look what happened to Queen Maev- killed by a piece of cheese fired at her.
 d_b 06 Jun 2016

She was only killed with cheese because they couldn't get mars bars.
 SenzuBean 06 Jun 2016
I was recently in Scotland, when an organization that shall remain nameless - descended onto the hillside. They were 400 men, and were all highly religious, and using the mountain as a testing ground for their faith. That's fine. It's also fine to read inspirational Bible verses and hold wrestling matches on the side of the mountain too. What's not fine is to instruct each of your 400 men to take a large rock, and walk it over a ridge to deposit it somewhere else. What also stuck out as well was how they viewed the mountain environment after their experience - they viewed it as a cruel and hostile place, a place to fear and to loathe - despite it being one of the most beautiful weeks of Spring in my memory. Most of those 400 men had one of the best opportunities to learn how to appreciate the mountain environment wasted so the organizers could have a pork-sword waggling contest.
Post edited at 12:36
 malky_c 06 Jun 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

To be fair, that's how most people viewed the mountain environment until the last 2 or 300 years...
 Babika 06 Jun 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

I am seriously curious.....why are they nameless?
 SenzuBean 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

> I am seriously curious.....why are they nameless?

I didn't really think the name would have added anything useful to the rant. The other thing that was really weird was that they were a mens only club - they do not allow women to be members as they are "distractions". All I could think of was how many gay guys there are in the club who are hopelessly distracted at all times being surrounded by only men!

I'm happy to privately name and shame at a later date - it seems we're in the same mountaineering club.
In reply to malky_c:

I'd argue that most people still see the mountain environment the same way today.
 SenzuBean 06 Jun 2016
In reply to malky_c:

> To be fair, that's how most people viewed the mountain environment until the last 2 or 300 years...

Although that's true, I don't think "tradition" on its own is a good justification for anything. I thought the attitude that mountains are horrid places was all but dead 70 years ago? (not that I was there back then)

It just seems a shame - they could've got a huge group of people keen on the outdoors, and instead probably scared almost all of them off. I guess that's to their benefit perhaps - I know I wouldn't return to a church if I found divine experience on a mountain instead.
 Ramblin dave 06 Jun 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

> I didn't really think the name would have added anything useful to the rant. The other thing that was really weird was that they were a mens only club - they do not allow women to be members as they are "distractions".

Muirfield?
 FactorXXX 06 Jun 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

I was recently in Scotland, when an organization that shall remain nameless - descended onto the hillside. They were 400 men, and were all highly religious, and using the mountain as a testing ground for their faith. That's fine. It's also fine to read inspirational Bible verses and hold wrestling matches on the side of the mountain too. What's not fine is to instruct each of your 400 men to take a large rock, and walk it over a ridge to deposit it somewhere else. What also stuck out as well was how they viewed the mountain environment after their experience - they viewed it as a cruel and hostile place, a place to fear and to loathe - despite it being one of the most beautiful weeks of Spring in my memory. Most of those 400 men had one of the best opportunities to learn how to appreciate the mountain environment wasted so the organizers could have a pork-sword waggling contest.

Was it an elite unite of The Scouts and led by no other than the illustrious Bear Grylls?
 balmybaldwin 06 Jun 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

> I was recently in Scotland, when an organization that shall remain nameless - descended onto the hillside. They were 400 men, and were all highly religious, and using the mountain as a testing ground for their faith. That's fine. It's also fine to read inspirational Bible verses and hold wrestling matches on the side of the mountain too. What's not fine is to instruct each of your 400 men to take a large rock, and walk it over a ridge to deposit it somewhere else. What also stuck out as well was how they viewed the mountain environment after their experience - they viewed it as a cruel and hostile place, a place to fear and to loathe - despite it being one of the most beautiful weeks of Spring in my memory. Most of those 400 men had one of the best opportunities to learn how to appreciate the mountain environment wasted so the organizers could have a pork-sword waggling contest.

> Was it an elite unite of The Scouts and led by no other than the illustrious Bear Grylls?

Can't have been, they let Girls scout now too
 FactorXXX 06 Jun 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Can't have been, they let Girls scout now too

It was an elite unit...
abseil 06 Jun 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

> ....instruct each of your 400 men to take a large rock, and walk it over a ridge to deposit it somewhere else....

Ah, the now-neglected art of trundling.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...