UKC

Sleeping Mats Alpine climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 05 Jun 2016
In need of a new mat but there seems to be an insane amount of choice, with some mats looking very sketchy! Please recommend me something, Ive been using foam up until now so pretty old school, do these frame type blow up pads not just pop as soon as they see a rocky bivy site ? It will be mainly used for on route Bivies on alpine routes ! Cheers
 Roberttaylor 05 Jun 2016
In reply to Removed UserNangadreams:

Thermarest Z lite is pretty good and seems popular.
 mff513 06 Jun 2016

Stick to foam it's the better all-round choice for the weight saving
Removed User 07 Jun 2016

bump
cb294 07 Jun 2016

Foam for alpine bivies. I prefer rolled mats over Z-lites, but that is probably just personal.
CB
 bensilvestre 08 Jun 2016

Z-lite everytime, i have mine trimmed to 3 quarter length. I only use a blow up pad for glacier camping
 ben b 08 Jun 2016

Pressure blown foam more resilient than chemically blown (i.e. old Karrimat Expedition or Extreme). Personally I go for the purple/yellow combo with a loop that can be sacrificed as ab tat, and some duct tape on the corner it is tied through to stop it ripping. Very 80s but indestructible and light, if bulky.

b
 Mark Haward 10 Jun 2016

I've used both and switch between them. Personally I have never managed to burst a 3/4 length thermarest - with a little basic care such as clearing gravel away. It has happened to others though. I sleep more comfortably / better on a blow up . However, if the route is nearer my limit climbing wise I'd usually go foam as others have suggested and accept a less comfortable / poorer night.
Don't know anyone who has used the really tiny lightweight blow up frame you are describing so can't comment.
 Pedro50 10 Jun 2016
In reply to bensilvestre:

> Z-lite everytime, i have mine trimmed to 3 quarter length. I only use a blow up pad for glacier camping

Quite agree and it's ridiculous they only sell a full length version and you have to do your own wasteful cropping.
 Robert Durran 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Roberttaylor:

> Thermarest Z lite is pretty good and seems popular.

Had to google Z-Lite but found that I've been using one I found lying by a path in the Cairngorms for three years! Excellent kit and less faff that flattening out a roll.
 Roberttaylor 10 Jun 2016

Pro tip: Get a z-lite, also buy a small mouth organ. When you are on your bivvy sit there with the harmonica in your mouth and pretend to play the z-lite like an accordion.

Gets big laughs from passing cablecars full of tourists.

I like to hedge my bets and get a degree of comfort so use a 3/4 length Z-Lite underneath a 3/4 length Exped Simlite inflatable mat. I'll also take an Exped UL inflatable pillow if I'm expecting to be wearing all my clothes.
Removed User 11 Jun 2016
Cheers guys anymore for anymore ?
 Rick Graham 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Pedro50:
> Quite agree and it's ridiculous they only sell a full length version and you have to do your own wasteful cropping.

Very small market for really ultralight alpine gear.

The bonus of cutting your own up, is that you can personalise the length exactly. ( and get two or more bits for different jobs. )

Edit
( Do not try this on Thermarests : -) )
Post edited at 13:03
Removed User 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:

Cheers Rick, I've used a cut down mat for years, was just intrigued as to whether people were actually using these blow up things up high in anger.. Seems not... Thanks again
 ianstevens 19 Jun 2016
I've got a "blow up thing" (a Thermarest Neoair Women's*) that works fine on alpine bivis. Not popped it so far. Just clear away the pointy stuff and there's no issue. It's comfier, warmer, lighter and smaller than anything foam in my experience.

*Why Women's you may ask? Well its the perfect mix between 3/4 and "full" length for me. I'm 178 cm, so once I've got my pillow (bag) at the top it's the perfect length. It's also a bit warmer than the regular version - clearly Thermarest think women are short-ish and feel the cold.
Post edited at 17:57
 TobyA 19 Jun 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

> I've got a "blow up thing" (a Thermarest Neoair Women's*) that works fine on alpine bivis. Not popped it so far. Just clear away the pointy stuff and there's no issue.

What are you actually putting the mat on? Thinking back to some comfy and less comfy alpine bivvies I could see that it would be great on snow/glacier ice, but a bit of a 'mare on moraine or similar!

pass and peak 21 Jun 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

"clearly Thermarest think women are short-ish and feel the cold."

So must Mountain Equipment! I have the woman's Helium blow up and use in conjunction with foam underneath while on moraines and on its own on the softer stuff! I'm a bloke buy the way!
 pass and peak 21 Jun 2016

One tip with regards to the blow up types!
Always let the air out when not in use. It can get stupidly hot in an alpine tent during the day and I had one of mine pop after it blow up like a balloon in the heat while I was on an Acclimatization walk. Made for a very uncomfortable night!
 ianstevens 21 Jun 2016
In reply to TobyA:

In a bivi bag and on both glacier and (mildly vegetated) morraine, although on the latter I put 5 minutes or so to clear a patch free of excessively pointy stuff.
 summo 21 Jun 2016

Enough foam mat to just reach bottom of my butt. Folds up as back padding in rucksack. Legs on ruck sack/rope.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...