UKC

Hedging for brexit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MG 06 Jun 2016
Given an out vote will result in a drop in sterling and the Ftse, what are.my options for protecting investments?
 humptydumpty 06 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:
Buy euros?
Post edited at 12:58
 Jimbo C 06 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

vote in?
OP MG 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Jimbo C:

That one's covered!
OP MG 06 Jun 2016
In reply to humptydumpty:

Simple, yes. Or dollars?
 FesteringSore 06 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

> Given an out vote will result in a drop in sterling and the Ftse,

You know that for sure do you?
OP MG 06 Jun 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

Yes as much as anything is certain. Look at currencies this morning after the recent polls.
In reply to MG:

In or out is not just about the way investments and stocks and share perform; there's a whole host of other considerations. Besides which, in my experience, investments have been performing pretty abysmally for some time now so I don't see that in or out is going to make that much difference.
OP MG 06 Jun 2016

> In or out is not just about the way investments and stocks and share perform; there's a whole host of other considerations

Err yes.

Besides which, in my experience, investments have been performing pretty abysmally for some time now so I don't see that in or out is going to make that much difference.

Bollocks. You might be comfortably retired. Some of us aren't and don't want to see 10% knocked off our pension.

In reply to MG:

But Yen now, switch to Sterling just before vote (depending on Polls), switch to Dollars overnight on the day before referendum if you believe Polls. If Brexit happens switch back to Sterling before everyone else realises that Armageddon hasn't happened. Why go against the market when you can be safe in the ivory tower.

In reply to MG:

> Bollocks. You might be comfortably retired.
And what makes you think that MY incomes have risen at the same rate as prices. They have remained static for two years whilst prices have risen.
 Pete Dangerous 06 Jun 2016

My wage has risen £1500 in 10 years. It's beyond a joke. Things are really tight these days :/
 Fraser 06 Jun 2016
> In or out is not just about the way investments and stocks and share perform; there's a whole host of other considerations. Besides which, in my experience, investments have been performing pretty abysmally for some time now so I don't see that in or out is going to make that much difference.

Have you never heard the following old addage?

"The value of your investment may fall as well as plummet."

Edit: what I think would, in all likelihood, have bigger ramifications is that if oil stopped being traded in dollars - the world reserve currency - in favour of the euro / yuan / dinar, then it could conceivably collapse.
Post edited at 13:33
 Flinticus 06 Jun 2016

For 2015 it was 0.05%

For 2014 it was 1.47%

Extremely low.
 summo 06 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:
If yo believe Cameron, best you liquidise all assets into Cash, yen and dollars probably. Then turn yourself into a prepper and prepare for WW3.

In reality, nothing at all. I think on exit things would decline then rise again. If the UK stays there will a temporary spike upwards. All of which will average out between now and retirement. Unless you plan to retire in July16.
Post edited at 14:13
 Babika 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Pete Dangerous:

> My wage has risen £1500 in 10 years. It's beyond a joke. Things are really tight these days :/

At the risk of sounding like Four Yorkshiremen - "you're lucky".

3 years of public sector pay freeze, followed by an attempted 33% pay cut by my employer meaning I had to leave, followed by another 3 years freeze in current job.

Brexit can't be worse!
In reply to Babika:

> Brexit can't be worse!

I think this some days but I don't really know if our EU membership is at fault for house prices being so high, my wages barely rising and everything generally being pretty sh*t. Those with money seem to have been doing just fine while for the majority things seem to be getting worse. It seems the rich are desperate to avoid Brexit and a lot of people are seeing the referendum as a way to stick it to the wealthy and to the current government despite the risks. I'm still very much none the wiser.

Rich old people seem desperate to embrace Brexit from what I can see. And seeing as how Gove, IDS, Patel are all major players in the current govt I think you are wrong is saying people see Brexit as a way of getting to the wealthy and the govt.
 john arran 06 Jun 2016

> It seems the rich are desperate to avoid Brexit

Hardly surprising when all but Summo acknowledge it would be a significant hit to the UK economy and therefore most likely to the value of many of their assets.

Babika 06 Jun 2016

> I think this some days but I don't really know if our EU membership is at fault for house prices being so high

I wonder if we could control the number of foreigners buying up London (a bit like Switzerland does) under Brexit that would stop our capital being seen as an investment of choice for so much foreign cash, and hence bring prices down a little?

john arran 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

> I wonder if we could control the number of foreigners buying up London (a bit like Switzerland does) under Brexit that would stop our capital being seen as an investment of choice for so much foreign cash, and hence bring prices down a little?

Do you honestly believe there's currently any political will to do that, rather than just to keep dissenters quiet by paying lipservice to the concept?
In reply to john arran:

Of course not. It lines their pockets and it doesn't matter if the majority can't afford it as long as someone's buying it.
 neilh 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

Coming out of the EU will more than likely devalue the £, so it will be even cheaper for them to buy property over here.........
 Xharlie 06 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

Sadly, I think that you should have hedged almost a year ago when the pound was over 1.43 to the Euro. By now, hedging is a bit pointless.

I have lost a fortune because of the Brexit saga because literally (as defined in British English) all my savings are in Sterling and I'm living across the channel, in Germany, and spending Euros.

My only hope is that Germany hands out emergency permanent residence permits to all of us Brits living here in the event that 'leave' wins. I guess they'll have to or they'll face losing a fair number of highly skilled people. Most of the Brits I know, here, are engineers, programmers or other high-level workers that keep the German economy chugging and pay taxes.
In reply to neilh:

It may devalue the pound temporally , it also might mean that 'rules' are bought in to ban foreign investment in UK property. Only you can predict the outcome.......
In reply to Xharlie:

Would Germany also like to hand out emergency permanent residence permits to low skilled workers (think bricklayers) in the event of a Leave vote?
 neilh 06 Jun 2016
In reply to L'Eeyore:

You would not want to ban investment coming in , especially when you are now proclaiming to the world that you are free of the EU shackles and will do business with everybody and you want their money.Another contradiction in the out campaign.

Anyway the £ is devaluing now.... so its not a prediction.
 neilh 06 Jun 2016
In reply to L'Eeyore:

Bricklayers are in high demand as there is a shortage. Can you not at least pick a trade that merits your comment.
cb294 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

> My only hope is that Germany hands out emergency permanent residence permits to all of us Brits living here in the event that 'leave' wins.

I agree from my own experience that exchange rates can be a bitch if your salary is in one currency but your bills in another.

However, as I wrote in another thread, other than that expats on either side will have little to worry about. The UK may or may not leave the EU, but even if it does will certainly accept all EU demands to stay in the single market, Norway style: The UK simply cannot afford losing access for its (financial) services, and will therefore have to accept reciprocal freedom of movement for workers. The one thing that will not happen is the remaining EU granting market access while compromising this central principle, in a way its raison d´etre (as Switzerland found out to their cost following their own referendum, which put their government into a right pickle).

Essentially therefore, as you were, regardless of the referendum result.

CB
In reply to neilh:

If I have got this correct. The pound has increased against the dollar over the last month and the euro has decreased against the dollar over the last month. Am I correct?
In reply to neilh:

Care to suggest one?
 neilh 06 Jun 2016
In reply to L'Eeyore:

It depends which way you look at it. on the $ over the past month the £ has increased in value ( if you call going up by a few cents a significant increase). having said that you want to look a bit further back than the last month and you will see the £ was even lower than it is now, this was the last time the outers had a poll upsurge.

if the £ devalues a few more cents, to me it indicates the market is looking at an out vote.

The euro/dollar is not something I follow day to day.

It will be interesting over the next few days. if I get currency dealers ringing me up looking to buy my dollars it usually means the £ is going to devalue even more.

neilh 06 Jun 2016
In reply to L'Eeyore:

No, you posted the comment basically telling brick layers in your eyes are low skilled.
In reply to neilh:

> It will be interesting over the next few days. if I get currency dealers ringing me up looking to buy my dollars it usually means the £ is going to devalue even more.

So in real speak it means dealers are gambling. Nothing more.
In reply to neilh:

I do think that your post is unfair to me, I'd never consider bricklayers to be unskilled but others do.
 neilh 06 Jun 2016
In reply to L'Eeyore:

Your original post said " think bricklayers".

Which is why I raised it with you.......!!!!

neilh 06 Jun 2016
In reply to L'Eeyore:

Unless you want to return to fixed currencies or the gold standard, it is very much the real world.

The stock market is probably a better indication and that seems more stable on staying in.If the FTSE starts collapsing then I would be concerned that an Out vote is on the cards.
Removed User 06 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

Don't have any.
 starbug 09 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

No mention of investing in traditional Taxus baccata
or for those requiring a greater immigration deterrent an
investment in Crataegus monogyna.

For those in the remain camp, a small hedge in Lavandula
stoechas should suffice?

humptydumpty 09 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

Thought of another hedge - would buying property in Scotland help? Buy now in pounds; sell in Euros when they join the single currency.
 skog 09 Jun 2016
In reply to humptydumpty:

Runs the risk of having to sell in Smackeroonies, though, which might be more volatile:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0ZVR4WCMAAtEgE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/05lhiCY.png
Jim C 09 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:
> Bollocks. You might be comfortably retired. Some of us aren't and don't want to see 10% knocked off our pension.

Neither do I and I am heading for retirement, can you tell me where the 10% figure for a reduction to pensions if we Brexit is calculated?
Post edited at 18:36
OP MG 09 Jun 2016
In reply to Jim C:

It's my judgement of the effect of Brexit on share and currency based on recent movements and predictions.
Jim C 09 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:
> I wonder if we could control the number of foreigners buying up London (a bit like Switzerland does) under Brexit that would stop our capital being seen as an investment of choice for so much foreign cash, and hence bring prices down a little?

But don't you remember George O Inferred that house prices will DROP by 18%?
( but actually , he said that predicted INCREASES in house prices may be reduced by up to 18%)

So his guess is , that the guess of how much prices might rise in the future, might be 18% less than the original guess.
So if the guess was they would go up by 10% in 5 years , then he now guesses that following a Brexit they might only go up by 8.2% .

But your guess is as good as his, ( and mine)

it is all a load of made up bollocks .
Post edited at 18:46
Jim C 09 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

> It's my judgement of the effect of Brexit on share and currency based on recent movements and predictions.

I thought it might be.
OP MG 09 Jun 2016
In reply to Jim C:

OK good. Hardly the point of my OP though. If you think I am wrong then di nothing. I was asking, given this prediction, what is best to do.
 Postmanpat 09 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

> OK good. Hardly the point of my OP though. If you think I am wrong then di nothing. I was asking, given this prediction, what is best to do.

There is a commonly voiced argument that brexit would presage the implosion of the EU. If that were to be true then you should be shorting the Euro against sterling and shorting them both against the dollar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...