UKC

Snowdon vs Ben Nevis (help :-) )

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Lorraine73 06 Jun 2016

Hi
Myself and my partner are doing Ben Nevis in just over 3 weeks, we have been doing lots of training for last 3 months but I am still heavier than I would have hoped. We walked up Snowdon two days ago via Rhyd-ddu path (ascent) and Snowdon Ranger Path (descent). We ascended in just under 4 hours, with stops and about the same on the descent, with more stops as hotter and tiring. I am just wondering if anyone has done the ascent route and the tourist track up Ben Nevis and able to give a comparison on difficulty, whether likely to be able to do etc. Any help/comments appreciated as very concerned now it's getting closer. Thanks 😊
Post edited at 13:04
 Euge 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Lorraine73:

You'll be fine...
Just ensure you bring a map, compass and appropriate clothing.

Euge
 GrahamD 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Lorraine73:

No harder, just longer. If its hot make sure you have enough water with you.
In reply

Anyone able to comment on if there is any old snow still around near the summit? It's the main difference other than the fact the walk is longer.
 Gone 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Lorraine73:

Rhyd Ddu is 895m ascent
Mountain track ascent is 1352m
895/1352 is about two thirds.

So you did two thirds of it in training, which is a decent amount. You will grow some new muscles from that, and I imagine the sense of occasion will spur you on as well on the day. I think you will be fine. Start early and you will have the benefit of long Scottish daylight if you need to take lots of rests. The most important thing I think will be ensuring you have enough water to keep you going but not too much which will weigh you down. You can always pour some out part way if you are obviously not going to drink it all.
 Babika 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Lorraine73:

I just remember I stopped far more on the walk down from the Ben, than I did on the way up. My feet were sore and tired and I just wanted to sit down endlessly.
I suggest take Compeed in case of blisters, even if boots were OK on Snowdon.

I'm sure you'll be fine even if its thick clag/rain but remember that the summit is only halfway...(sorry if that sounds obvious)
 Andy Johnson 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Lorraine73:
If you can climb Snowdon then you can probably climb Ben Nevis - it'll just take you longer.

But don't fixate on the height of the mountains. Snowdon has a railway and clear paths going up it, and a cafe on top. The top of Ben Nevis is a semi-arctic plateau that can be a challenging place to be in bad weather - and that can happen at any time of the year. Make sure you take a map and compass and know how to navigate safely off the mountain in limited visibility. Know your limits and when to turn back.

Have fun!
Post edited at 14:45
 ScottTalbot 03 Jul 2016
In reply to Lorraine73:

I found the tourist route up the Ben hard on the knees (my knees aren't the best), but I used poles for the descent, which helped a lot and pretty much cut the time in half.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...