UKC

Dolomites in late June-early July crampons?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Duncan Mackay 06 Jun 2016
My wife and I are heading off to the Dolomites the last week in June to do the Alta Via 4 and some via ferrata. We have had some conflicting advice as to whether we should take crampons.

Does anyone know what the snow was like in the Dolomites this past winter and whether we are likely to need crampons?
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Duncan Mackay:

The snows clearing fast with the current warm and wet weather. However you're still likely to encounter some on the higher north facing sections during late June. Whether you take crampons is ultimately personal preference. If you're willing to divert occasionally you'll get away without them. If your set on certain routes it's probably a good idea to put some in. If your keen for Punta Anna / Lipella / Alleghesi or similar high via ferrata you will probably need a walking axe and rope as well.

I hope that helps a little.

Enjoy your trip!
Duncan Mackay 06 Jun 2016
In reply to James Rushforth:

Thank you that is really helpful.

We are really looking forward to our trip.
 Casa Alfredino 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Duncan Mackay:

Was up at Rifugio Citta dei Fiumi today for a family outing and could see a lot of the mountains. The tops appear to have considerable snow cover - Sella, Marmolada, Civetta and Pelmo all had snow down to I guess about 2200m particularly on the north facing aspect. You can of course plan to do south facing routes but I'd be aware that in shaded gullies you may well encounter snow with buried cables - it'swell worth at least carrying a short rope to belay acros this sort of stretch. The other thing worth saying is that you may go up south facing routes fine but then be caught out on the north facing descents. If you have any doubt take an ice axe at least. Better to look like a plonker than get caught short...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...