UKC

Climbing & camping in the Bristol area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 charley 06 Jun 2016
Hi,

Planning on having 2-3 days climbing near Bristol soon and need some crag recommendations. Only climbed in the area once before. Went to Goblin Combe and Portishead.

Ideally need somewhere with some decent, lower grades but would be nice to have some slightly harder routes (up to E2) nearby as well.

The guide book I have is pretty selective (going to pick up a more definitive guidebook before we go). Looking through it, the Sea Walls area at Avon should keep us busy for a day?

Also can anyone recommend a good campsite? Preferably with a decent pub within walking distance...

d_b 07 Jun 2016
In reply to charley:

The Avon gorge is OK but you get a lot of road noise. I hardly ever go there despite living in walknig distance, and at this time of year going to Goblin Combe will get you covered in ticks...

I would suggest hopping over the river & basing yourself near Chepstow. It's only half an hour away from Bristol (traffic willing) but you get access to all the lower Wye valley crags. Wintours Leap, Shorncliff, Wyndcliff etc should have more than enough to keep you busy.
 Cheese Monkey 07 Jun 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Amen to that.

Also Fairy Cave Quarry down Mendips
SanchoPascoe 07 Jun 2016
In reply to charley:

If you are still heading to Cheddar I recommend the Cheddar Heights camping site at Priddy. Nice site, two pubs in the village within 1/2 mile and it's reasonnably placed for accessing other areas. Link below.
http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/campsites/uk/somerset/priddywell...
As for the climbing in Cheddar gorge i only managed to get there during the old access agreement days, ie the Winter months when it was warmer and drier underground. must get back and try the area again.
 springfall2008 07 Jun 2016
In reply to charley:

There's a camp site near Tintern which is popular with climbers, it's a short walk to Shorn Cliff and not far a drive from Wyndecliff, Wintours leap and Ban-y-gor
OP charley 08 Jun 2016
In reply to charley:

Cheers guys, will take a look

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...