UKC

accidental dislike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 07 Jun 2016
I do wish we could be rid of the "dislike" button!!!

I have just disliked a post by accident, by touching the wrong bit of the screen while scrolling down on my phone (my friends know how inept I am with my phone), and I am mortified - I would never dislike someone's post, it's just plain rude. Likes are ok, dislikes are not. Please, oh great lords of UKC, rid your flock of this social menace and get rid of the dislike button.
 Greasy Prusiks 07 Jun 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I'm afraid you should prepare for some dislikes lizzie!
 The New NickB 07 Jun 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Just undislike.
OP BusyLizzie 07 Jun 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

I know

But it is a heartfelt plea for the removal of a source of unhappiness on a site that generally makes me very happy.
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Just hit the button again; it will remove the dislike. It's a toggle, not a 'rack up as many dislikes as you can by pressing repeatedly'...
 Greasy Prusiks 07 Jun 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Yeah personally it doesn't bother me but each to their own.

It appears I should also prepare for some dislikes. People get quite dislike happy on threads like this.
 Skyfall 07 Jun 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

yes, just hit it again and it will discount your previous dislike
 Trangia 07 Jun 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I dislike dislikes because disliking donates disliking rather than disagreeing, and there is nothing likeable about that Also does it mean the post is disliked? The grammar or spelling disliked? The author disliked? Or are they all mistaken dislikes like Busy Lizzie's dislikes, which you can ignore because no dislike is intended? But possibly no like is intended either? Just keep your fingers to yourself if you like. Or should that be if you dislike?
 Yanis Nayu 07 Jun 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I too dislike the dislike button, but the powers that be seem pig-headedly wedded to them.
 Rick Graham 07 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I do not think it should be anonymous.
 FactorXXX 07 Jun 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:

I do not think it should be anonymous.

To add a bit more fun and spice, make random disclosures of who has pressed the 'Dislike' button... or
 Rick Graham 07 Jun 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

You are doubly anonymous !
In reply to Trangia:

I'm beginning to dislike threads about disliking dislikes.

Go on, dislike my post about disliking threads about disliking dislikes...
cb294 07 Jun 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:

Yes, open dislike/like would be best. Quite often one cannot be bothered typing a response but would love to make it clear a particular post is rubbish. Signing a like/dislike would make registering your support or, more often, telling a poster to f*ck off much easier. Anyway, I would not want to post anything I would not also say to anyone face to face (my use of a pseudonym is for practical uses only, anyone could deduce who I am or simply ask).

CB
 aln 07 Jun 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Just hit the button again; it will remove the dislike.

I didn't know that, ta.
 FactorXXX 07 Jun 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:

You are doubly anonymous!

Bloody too right I am! If friends, family and employer saw the stuff I wrote on here I'd be shot!

(Have never Disliked a post though)
OP BusyLizzie 07 Jun 2016
In reply to all:

... crikey, 47 dislikes! I will take that as a compliment/achievement/perhaps even a record?

Useful to know it's a toggle, thank you.

L
In reply to cb294:

You are Sir Christian Bonnington, and I claim my £5...
Andy Gamisou 08 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> I too dislike the dislike button, but the powers that be seem pig-headedly wedded to them.

Or maybe you are simply pig-headedly wedded against them. Some people like them some people don't. Why should your point of view win the day? Maybe UKC could hold a referendum - they seem to be in vogue at the moment.
 NathanP 08 Jun 2016
In reply to Willi Crater:

> ...Maybe UKC could hold a referendum - they seem to be in vogue at the moment.

They jare doing. Whether or not to retain the dislike feature is one of the questions in the current UKC survey. http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=70463
Andy Gamisou 08 Jun 2016
In reply to NathanP:
Cheers for the heads up. Just went to have a look at it and it appears I 've already completed it. It obviously made a big impression on me as I 've absolutely no recollection of doing so.
Post edited at 06:53
Andy Gamisou 08 Jun 2016
Of course if they wanted to UKC could easily make it possible to opt in/out of the whole like/dislike functionality. Make it an option in your profile and if you don't want to see the like/dislike buttons or totals then they could be removed from the page. Would keep everyone happy I would have thought.
Wouldn't stop others from disliking your posts but at least you wouldn't know how much you are hated.
Post edited at 07:00
cb294 08 Jun 2016

Shit, cover blown...
CB

Sorry, Sir Christian Bonington, for my dislikers...
 Big Ger 08 Jun 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> I know

> But it is a heartfelt plea for the removal of a source of unhappiness on a site that generally makes me very happy.

.....errrmm...... if the buttons make you so unhappy, why are you using them?
OP BusyLizzie 08 Jun 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> .....errrmm...... if the buttons make you so unhappy, why are you using them?

I'm not, except that I used one by accident, and I notice that they seem to irritate quite a lot of other people.
 Brass Nipples 09 Jun 2016
In reply to cb294:

> Shit, cover blown...

> CB

I thought you were Captain Birdseye?
 Brass Nipples 09 Jun 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> I'm not, except that I used one by accident, and I notice that they seem to irritate quite a lot of other people.

If we got rid of the reply button that'd stop a lot of people getting irritated as well. We could have a forum full of monologues
Jim C 09 Jun 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

If you like your dislike , it will remove the dislike, and same if you dislike your like .
cb294 09 Jun 2016
In reply to Lion Bakes:
Arrrrrhhhh! Rumbled!
CB

cb294 was just my email login at Cambridge (Christian Boekel), but it makes more sense to use a login name to preserve a modicum of privacy. It is no secret to anyone who asks something of me in a PM, I use my regular email with full details to reply.
Post edited at 20:55
 deepsoup 09 Jun 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:
> ... crikey, 47 dislikes! I will take that as a compliment/achievement/perhaps even a record?

Not even close (yet): http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=632503 . I dislike your OP because I dislike people moaning about dislikes in general, and also because I dislike people starting new threads when the subject has been thoroughly covered already. I didn't dislike your OP though, because you don't deserve a record number of dislikes, so there! :-P
 deepsoup 09 Jun 2016
> Of course if they wanted to UKC could easily make it possible to opt in/out of the whole like/dislike functionality.

Alternatively, if you're using either Chrome or Firefox, you could use the extensions that Reaver2k kindly whipped up in response to the thread I linked to above and do it yourself.

Hang on a mo..
Here's one: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=632503&v=1#x8216896
And here's t'other one: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=632503&v=1#x8217553
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I thought this had been solved:

It's not "like/dislike", it's "agree/disagree"

Everyone feel better now?
 deepsoup 09 Jun 2016
In reply to Just Another Dave:

> It's not "like/dislike", it's "agree/disagree"

I disagree with this.
moffatross 09 Jun 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

It's a lazy feedback mechanism at best, and generally discourages discussion. Since discussion creates web site hits, and web site hits create income, most forums that tried dislikes have dumped them, so I'm sure UKC will cotton on to that too, eventually.
In reply to deepsoup:

Ok fine. You could have just given me a disagree.
 birdie num num 09 Jun 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Thank you for your very frank public confession.
You may absolve yourself by two Hail Marys, one Our Father and a Glory Be.
OP BusyLizzie 10 Jun 2016
In reply to birdie num num:
Thank you! Jolly helpful to be absolved

(edited to add smiley)

Post edited at 18:33
 Robert Durran 10 Jun 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I like the like/dislike buttons. I consider a post successful when I get large and equal numbers of likes and dislikes; the likes confirm that I am right and the dislikes confirm that I have successfully wound up the people who are wrong.
 birdie num num 10 Jun 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

The father, the son and the holy ghost disliked my comment. Bastards.
OP BusyLizzie 11 Jun 2016
In reply to birdie num num:

> The father, the son and the holy ghost disliked my comment. Bastards.

I really don't think She would do that, She is nice. Or They is. Or They are... aaaghgh...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...