UKC

Nomic variations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abcdef 08 Jun 2016
How many generations of nomic's have there been, differences and how to tell them apart??
 climber34neil 08 Jun 2016
In reply to abcdef:

I think just 2 although there has been rumors of a third coming at some point in the future. The first has a plain black handle and the second has orange edging around the inside of the handle, also the second has a small spike on the bottom of the handle and the first doesn't.
 Graham 08 Jun 2016
In reply to abcdef:
Actually there are 3.
1) all black handle, no orange bits and smooth pommel on the bottom. No major worries.
2) Orange and black handle, serrated pommel that broke quite easily. These were recalled shortly after they were sold and the pommel adjustment interface was redesigned/beefed up
3) orange and black handle, beefed up pommel adjustment interface. Current generation. Pommel still has longevity issues.

Somebody correct me if I've missed anything.
Post edited at 10:57
 Dave Williams 08 Jun 2016
In reply to Graham:

Yes I agree that there are three variants. Thankfully I have the original smooth pommel one, which is bomber despite being well-used. Why Petzl then messed with it in such an ill-thought out way with the serrated pommel is totally baffling.
OP abcdef 08 Jun 2016
In reply to abcdef:

Probably some links to images would clear this right up, but here goes.....

So the originals are the most reliable ones to have, found by an all black handle?

Gen 2 and 3 are the only ones with a serrated pommel?

I have seen orange inset bits in the handle, but also some with an orange finger rest/pommel - how does this fit in with the generations?

And can a hammer/adze fit on all of them?
 Pina 08 Jun 2016
In reply to Graham:

Wobbling heads?
 HeMa 08 Jun 2016
In reply to J_Trottet:

> Wobbling heads?

All have that, after wear & tear...
 HosteDenis 08 Jun 2016
In reply to abcdef:

> Probably some links to images would clear this right up, but here goes.....

> So the originals are the most reliable ones to have, found by an all black handle?

yes, the originals have the all black handle. If they're the most reliable, don't know. Up to you to decide. I bought a 1st gen pair at -60% after third gen came out. First gen (if you can still find a place/person that sells them) still comes with the older cascade pick, but the newer picks fit.

1st gen

positives:
+ no problem with the pommel breaking
+ comes with cascade pick which is a great pick for water ice but can't be used in combination with hammer & adze (except maybe if you file away quite a bit at the rea of the pick, but you can also fit the newer pick with hammer/adze on the first gen nomic as well)

cons:
- 5g heavier tool, 5g heavier pick (hardly noticeable)
- no serrated spike on pommel -> smooth pommel
- no hole underneath pommel to put a prusik through for lanyard (I fixed this by drilling a hole myself)

> Gen 2 and 3 are the only ones with a serrated pommel?

Yes, but don't get a gen 2, the pommel breaks easily which is the reason third gen exists, they fixed it.

> I have seen orange inset bits in the handle, but also some with an orange finger rest/pommel - how does this fit in with the generations?

if there's orange, it's second or third gen.

> And can a hammer/adze fit on all of them?

Yes, although you will need to change picks on 1st gen.

nufkin 08 Jun 2016
In reply to HosteDenis:

> Yes, but don't get a gen 2, the pommel breaks easily which is the reason third gen exists,

Being picky, I'd say it's more of a '2.1' - a retrospective fix, rather than a re-design, was it not?

> they fixed it.

Arguably…
 HosteDenis 08 Jun 2016
In reply to nufkin:

True. But I didn't name it 3rd gen. It's the name that's going around (maybe by Petzl itself?)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...