UKC

NEWS: An Inconvenient Tooth: New E8 by McManus and McKerchar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 09 Jun 2016
The stunning Bhasteir Tooth, 3 kbDan McManus and Ross McKerchar have established a new E8 on the iconic Bhasteir Tooth, Am Bhasteir on the Isle of Skye.

Read more
 Tom Last 09 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Hats off to those lads. Amazed that as one of the most obvious lines in Scotland this resisted an ascent as long as it did.
pasbury 09 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Excellent effort - I remember looking at the front of the tooth and finding it amazing that no-one had ever tried it - I guess the difficulty is reason enough.
How about a direct through the lower roof now?
 tony 09 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC News:

That's excellent. What a location!
 Morgan Woods 09 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC News:

cool name :p
 cbonner 09 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Great name! Nice work.
 Derek Ryden 09 Jun 2016
In reply to pasbury:

I remember looking at the line in 1972, when I first climbed in Skye, and feeling sick to my stomach at the thought of anyone being brave enough to go up there. Amazing that it took so long to happen.
In reply to UKC News: great looking route, top effort 👍

Andy Nisbet 10 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Dan or Ross, Please send me a new route description for the SMC Journal (and on-line) by the end of the month to anisbe@globalnet.co.uk. Or would someone send me a contact e-mail please. Cheers, Andy Nisbet
 slacky 10 Jun 2016
 quiffhanger 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Hi Andy - just sending you an email now.
In reply to UKC News:

The fantasy line done at last! I've talked about it to various folks for over twenty years. Has to be one of the greatest two-pitch routes of its standard in Britain.
Removed User 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

It looks exceptional but surely the real prize is still up for grabs?
In reply to Removed User:

Which is what? How can the line be improved, except by climbing directly over the two overhangs?
 Michael Hood 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: Not having been there, can somebody please do drone footage going around the tooth so that we can see all sides of it.

Might be good for the whole ridge as well - would be a great beta source for those planning to do the ridge.

In reply to Michael Hood:

It's only got two faces. The main prizes have now all been done.
 Michael Hood 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: So what's round the back on the sides we can't see on these photos - is it walkable? or is it steep scree/rock/mess that isn't very nice to travel over?

In reply to Michael Hood:
It joins onto the higher Am Basteir (the Executioner), gained by quite a hard scramble - definitely not a walk. The easiest way up the Tooth is by Collie's Route (Mod) up the long glacis to the right of the face with Naismith's on it. Am Basteir is really a crest with a steep (N + S) faces on either side, and one tricky step. Again an exposed scramble, and definitely not a walk.
Post edited at 16:17
Removed User 12 Jun 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Which is what? How can the line be improved, except by climbing directly over the two overhangs?

Precisely! Dave Mac should get his arse in gear, he's got pedigree on gabbro...

Seriously though - are there any holds on it?

Not to take anything aware from the FAs in this case you understand.
In reply to UKC News:

I saw you on the second pitch of this on the Friday evening, you were right about being off route when I asked if it was nasmiths .
Truly inspiring, well done.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...