UKC

Écrins access: Grenoble - La Grave road status?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BruceM 09 Jun 2016
I gather from earlier reports on here that the temporary road around the lake was open earlier this year allowing some access from the West across the north of the Écrins.

Does anybody on the ground know the current state of things and how it might be for the next few months? For example: is there continuous access across to La Grave from the West, and is it easy enough (no big delays or conditions) so that you could consider it usable. Or is it just appropriate for locals etc.

I know from last year when it was closed completely, the signage wasn't extremely informative.

Thanks.
 Simon4 09 Jun 2016
In reply to BruceM:

A temporary and fairly challenging road is now open on the South side of the lake, there is no rule that it is only for locals but it IS restricted to 3 tonnes and below and would be pretty tricky for anything much bigger than a large-sized family car. Officially they can close this road at any time with little warning, there is no sign that they are likely to do so, in fact they are pretty desperate to keep it open.

La Grave and the Col du Lautaret are VERY quiet as a consequence of the poor access.
OP BruceM 09 Jun 2016
In reply to Simon4:

Thanks very much Simon (and others via PM). That will be very useful, as will the continued quiet. Perhaps we should now quickly just delete this thread

All the best
Bruce
 Simon4 09 Jun 2016
In reply to BruceM:
> Perhaps we should now quickly just delete this thread

I don't think that would be very kind to the villagers of La Grave, they are seriously suffering, it was like the Marie Celeste there. Not that the temporary road could take a substantial volume of traffic either though.

If you DO get past the barriers, there is a superb plat du jour to be had at the hotel at the Col du Lauteret after a ski-tour!
Post edited at 11:47
Removed User 09 Jun 2016
In reply to Simon4:

The road is open; but with tight turns and concrete barrier width restrictions at either end to exclude larger vehicles. There is one narrow section with traffic light control; and this limits the number of cars that can use the route each day. As the route was primarily put in place to restore through access for locals and deliveries; other traffic is being pushed towards alternatives such as the route via La Mure. On a couple of holiday Saturdays non-locals have been turned back as the road had become jammed at the lights. However, at any other time it'll be open.
OP BruceM 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Removed User:
Thanks everbody.

yorkshireman 10 Jun 2016
In reply to BruceM:

Came back from LYS last night to south of Grenoble and as per the last 2 years the overhead gantry as saying the D1091 is still closed and that anyone going to Briancon should head down to Gap and back up.

Its a shame as there's a trail race next weekend at La Grave and the detour makes it a 3 hour drive, despite it being only about 50km as the crow flies. Maybe its worth going up and staying the night before just in case the route is closed.
 Simon4 10 Jun 2016
In reply to yorkshireman:
> Came back from LYS last night to south of Grenoble and as per the last 2 years the overhead gantry as saying the D1091 is still closed

Yes, the gantries have been saying that for a long time, but it is not true.
Post edited at 10:25
 Duncan Beard 10 Jun 2016
In reply to BruceM:

We were unaware of the closure last year & had to take the massive diversion via Gap.

No problem this year, going to La Berarde instead, next week.
 littleduck 21 Jun 2016
In reply to BruceM:

We drove all the way to the closure last year, unaware because my partner doesn't speak French and I was asleep in the back. It was then a very long journey round. I'm just going to go straight to gap this time to get to briancon unless any one advises otherwise.
 James FR 23 Jun 2016
In reply to littleduck:

As Simon4 said, the temporary road is open to all cars, not just locals. You can even download the safety guide (in French) here: http://www.hautes-alpes.fr/evenement/752/1639-actualite.htm

The good news is that work has started on the new tunnel. They are hoping it will open temporarily for the ski season this coming winter, followed by further closures next year and completion by winter 2017.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...