UKC

Disinfecting second hand boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pietrach 09 Jun 2016
Hi
i have an eye on nice boots from second hand market. Work only once and in great condition, but I have never had used boots before and I have my reservations with regards to any nasties i can get from wearing them. Is there a reliable way of disinfecting / sanitising boots?

Thanks
 gethin_allen 09 Jun 2016
In reply to Pietrach:

What type of "boot" climbing boots (stickies) or mountaineering/hiking etc.
If it's the former and you intend to wear them bare foot as many do you could put them through the wash (cool gentle cycle) and give them a dusting of athletes foot powder when dry. If it's the latter then I guess you are buying them in good condition and will be wearing them with socks so it's not really necessary to clean them.
 Bob Aitken 09 Jun 2016
In reply to Pietrach:

You're a terrible man for worrying, Pietrach. Without knowing anything about it, I suspect the risks of contacting anything from second hand boots, especially just once worn, are vanishingly small, and the range of possible nasties pretty innocuous - verrucas? toenail fungus? athlete's foot? I reckon foot and mouth is fairly unlikely. After all, retailers like Tiso have recycled well-used walking boots to meet the needs of rapidly growing youngsters for decades. But if you must, I'd just give the insides a good spray with a standard kitchen worktop disinfectant, or if you're really worried, swill them out with a little neat or diluted disinfectant and leave them to dry.

For what it's worth, I did once experimentally rinse out the inside of my own hill boots with disinfectant after I'd been carefully scrubbing the soles and uppers to pre-empt the anxieties of Australian quarantine authorities. Didn't do any harm, don't know if it did any good ...
In reply to Pietrach:

Whilst I'm sure that someone wil come along shortly and tell you that man-eating salt-water crocodiles can live in second-hand boots and that unless you treat them with a particular product you'll be eaten alive feet first, I'd just give them a wash.

A proper wash, mind. Lukewarm water, laces off, footbeds out, using Nikwax footwear cleaning gel or an equivalent to remove any mud, dirt or stains from the outside and using your fingers to rub it in properly as the applicator pad on the outside of the bottle falls off quite quickly. Fill gthe inside of the boot with water and empty it a few times, putting your hand inside and rooting out any compacted fluff or dirt. Remember to wash the footbeds too. Then give them a thorough rinse under a running tap so that the cleaning agent and any dirt or other stuff that you've loosened is washed away.

Then you have two options depending on which waterproofing agent you're using.

If the waterproofing stuff has to be applied to a dry boot, then put your clean boots on an old towel or rag in the sunshine to dry; a sunny window sill is ideal but anything more direct, like in front of a fire or on a newspaper isn't good. Fill them loosely with newspaper while they dry, remembering to change this a couple of times; or just leave them open as you wish. Change their position a few times so every bit gets some sun. When they're properly dry - as in, a day in the sunshine dry - put your waterproofer on, then when that's properly applied and soaked in, put the footbeds back in, lace up sand you're good to go.

If the waterproofer has to be applied to a wet boot, get this on before you go through the drying process. I've found it best when the boots are damp rather than sodden. Then get the boots dry as above.

And that should be more than enough to get your boots clean and ready for your feet.

T.
 krikoman 09 Jun 2016
In reply to Pietrach:

Spray they us at bowling alleys, there's a silver oven type thing that was all the rage a while ago that killed everything including stink.

and there's this http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk/p/4296240/shoe-fresh-with-silver-io...
OP Pietrach 10 Jun 2016
In reply to krikoman:

Thank you all for advice. I may be blowing this issue out of proportion. I will make sure i will clean them well and I am sure it will be all fine.
 Yanis Nayu 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Pietrach:

Piss in them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...