UKC

Duck on Kilnsey?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 philhilo 09 Jun 2016
Rumour has it there is a duck nesting on the Direttisema at Kilnsey. Really?
 Billhook 09 Jun 2016
In reply to philhilo:

Rumour? You been gossiping again?
 stp 09 Jun 2016
In reply to philhilo:

There was a sign at the bottom about a nesting bird but you could climb to the first belay point without seeing it so I'm guessing it must be on the ledges just below the main overhanging. Didn't realise it was a duck. I was expecting a peregrine or similar.
 Kevster 09 Jun 2016
In reply to stp:

Some ducks do nest in holes in trees etc.
Think its the golden eye whose first steps out the nest are, shall we say large?

I have no idea what's nesting at Kilnsey tho.
Removed User 09 Jun 2016
In reply to philhilo:

I'd recommend confit but I don't imagine the emaciated types climbing at that venue would know what that comprises...
 Misha 09 Jun 2016
In reply to philhilo:
Latest update is the duck and ducklings have headed for the river. This is from the Malham & Kilnsey Facebook page. Don't think it's a wind up.
 john arran 09 Jun 2016
In reply to philhilo:

They may be on 50 for 5 but I don't know if any of them were ducks.
OP philhilo 11 Jun 2016
In reply to philhilo:

Cheers all. Hopefully they have headed to the river and are safely on their way. I cant see ducklings making it back up to the nest. Will seek some further info from someone visiting later today.
 Dave Musgrove 11 Jun 2016
In reply to philhilo:

The routes Duck Dive a and Sitting Ducks at Malham are testament to the practice of mallards nesting on high ledges in the vicinity of the Carnage cave on the right wing. The semi fledged nestlings all tumbled the full height of the wall before waddling off to the river with mum who was waiting for them at the bottom.
 Misha 11 Jun 2016
In reply to philhilo:
No ducks today.
 Rob Parsons 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Dave Musgrove:

> The routes Duck Dive a and Sitting Ducks at Malham are testament to the practice of mallards nesting on high ledges in the vicinity of the Carnage cave on the right wing.

Great, isn't it?

I know that mallards can also nest several stories up on city buildings, if they can find a good spot, safe from predators. And, come fledging, the ducklings seem to be able to put up with the resulting plummet. Nature always finds a way ...

Lankyman 12 Jun 2016
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> And, come fledging, the ducklings seem to be able to put up with the resulting plummet. Nature always finds a way ...
Not always. When I saw this on the Beeb I was completely horrified youtube.com/watch?v=0_JoetV3ZTQ&
Don't watch if you're squeamish or easily upset - I think the first jumpers weren't so lucky, didn't survive the fall (or did only to get caught by waiting foxes).
 aln 12 Jun 2016
In reply to Lankyman:

Exactly. Nature always finds a way.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...