UKC

Harness Sizing question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Flyinggardener 09 Jun 2016
hi every im looking for a bit of advice in regard to sizing of harnesses as im in need of purchasing one for a current job im about to start and most of the online sizing charts have me a bit puzzled could someone give a breakdown of the waist size ie. M, L, XL

many thanks
 Neil Williams 09 Jun 2016
In reply to Flyinggardener:

What is your waist size (if it isn't too personal)?
 Greasy Prusiks 09 Jun 2016

Which harness are you looking at?
 mary 09 Jun 2016

Just replaced my old harness. I did not buy the one I had chosen/ researched on line after trying it on/sitting in it. You really need to go and try a few they do vary in comfort considerably.

M

Different brands and different models of harness will use different sizings - try looking at the manufacturers websites.
 Jenny C 10 Jun 2016

Highlights why you should buy in person from a shop and not blindly online.....

As previous poster says most manufacturers will give sizes on their websites and I would expect decent online shops to do the same. However body shape also plays a part when fitting and I would want to hang my body weight in a harness before buying in order to make sure it doesn't nip or dig in when in use.

Another question is Men's or women's harnesses? BIg bugbear of mine is that it's OK for fat blokes to climb (loads of XL men's harnesses) but heaven forbid that even an average UK sized women might want to fit a harness
 jkarran 10 Jun 2016

Buy from a shop, a good shop where you can try them all on if you possibly can. They don't all fit equally, some will suit you, some won't. If you look in the instruction/safe-use sheets (you might have to google a bit) they generally detail the size ranges vs waist measurements.
jk
 1poundSOCKS 10 Jun 2016

As others have said, really hard to judge. I was in a medium in a BD Chaos, which was almost too big, but I've just sent back a Petzl Aquila in medium because it's too small. According to Petzl it should cover a 33 inch waist in medium, I've got a 31 inch waist.
Flyinggardener 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Neil Williams:

I'm approximately 38inch waist
 ScottTalbot 10 Jun 2016

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=635481

This is a large and should fit you nicely!

Ps. Excuse the shameless plug, I couldn't resist...
 Neil Williams 10 Jun 2016

About the same as me then. I always go for the larger size in harnesses, most of them will adjust a long way down.
Flyinggardener 10 Jun 2016

cheers for the replies guys ive only had a quick look on eBay as to whats avalible
if i get a break from work ill pop along to my local GO Outdoors
 summo 10 Jun 2016
I would always try on, as I often go large/r, as when taking the slack on the waist belt the gear loops are further forward (I prefer), if you go small and are the extreme end of being almost too big for the fit, then the gears loops are way back and there isn't enough slack in the waist belt to undo it a little and step out of it, you have to rethread the waist belt every time.

You also have to consider if it's for winter too, allowing space for a few layers of clothing etc..
Post edited at 19:35
 Neil Williams 10 Jun 2016

Wouldn't buy one on eBay, you never know what dangerous rubbish you'll find.

Agree re trying it on - particularly if you'll use it a lot.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...