UKC

Euro 2016

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 10 Jun 2016
I thought France looked good, and Payet was awesome

Will England beat Russia tomorrow?
Gone for good 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Yes, yes and errr no!
 goldmember 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Gone for good:

Why can't English fans behave on an away trip?

I fear for them if the Russian ultras decide to play tonight
OP Yanis Nayu 11 Jun 2016
In reply to goldmember:

Aye - you never beat the Russians in a war.

I can't understand why you'd go away to see a tournament like that and not just enjoy the atmosphere with all the other fans.
 jon 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> I can't understand why you'd go away to see a tournament like that and not just enjoy the atmosphere with all the other fans.

I'm guessing that's not why that particular minority go.

Babika 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Of course Payet was awesome - he's a West Ham player!

Now, of course if we had Noble in the England starting line-up....mumble, grumble.......
 bouldery bits 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

> Now, of course if we had Noble in the England starting line-up....mumble, grumble.......

Paired with Lee Cattermole!
 Alan M 11 Jun 2016
In reply to goldmember:

> Why can't English fans behave on an away trip?

> I fear for them if the Russian ultras decide to play tonight

Seeing the news 10 minutes ago seem to be showing a group of England, Russian and French Supporters having a good old bust up. Thankfully the majority of people are not involved but seems that there are small minorities from several countries out there looking for trouble. Seems also that a group of France supporters started trouble after their game with Romania on Friday throwing firecrackers at the police etc.

Impossible to know who is starting this but it does not look good.
Pan Ron 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

Not sure it matters who starts it. That anyone gets involved rather than speedily vacating the area appears to imply idiocy.
 Oceanrower 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Whereas England played Australia today, there was no segregation, drinking in the stands and no trouble whatsoever......
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

England playing well. Rooney could be the English Pirlo.
Pan Ron 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Oceanrower:

Perhaps it's pre-empting a potential loss of the Brexit campaign, followed by Europe kicking us out instead for bad behaviour.
 Babika 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

You know you shouldn't have said that.....
 Postmanpat 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

We're rubbish in the top third.
 Alan M 11 Jun 2016
In reply to David Martin:

> Not sure it matters who starts it. That anyone gets involved rather than speedily vacating the area appears to imply idiocy.

Totally agree with what you say. Though it does in parts appear from the latest news reports and eye witness accounts to be organised violence in waves and not just pissed up yobs punching the crap out of each other. Most people are speedily getting out of the way and not involved.
In reply to Postmanpat:

1-0. What a free kick!
 Postmanpat 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> 1-0. What a free kick!

Needed to be
In reply to Postmanpat:

Shit.
 Glyno 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> England playing well. Rooney could be the English Pirlo.

yes, and what was the logic of bringing him off when we were coasting?
 Dave the Rave 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Shit.

Utter. How can a bloke head over a 6'4'' goalie from twelve yards? Shite.
 Alan M 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Dave the Rave:
Shit result and feels like a loss but I seen enough from England to suggest that if it clicks they could do quite well.

Seeing the end footage with the Russian fans attacking the England supporters in the stands. I would not want to be in the city of Marseille tonight!!
Post edited at 22:30
 Skyfall 11 Jun 2016
Why oh why did they take off Rooney and Sterling? Our two best players this evening. As soon as they were taken off, we were compressed at the back, couldn't counter attack with speed and they scored. Being 1-0 ahead with 15 mins to go doesn't equate to shutting up shop.
Gone for good 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

Typical England. They blow it when the games there for the taking. Milner gives the ball away in the Russian half and 60 seconds later the balls in the back of the England net.
>
 ianstevens 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Skyfall:

> Why oh why did they take off Rooney and Sterling? Our two best players this evening. As soon as they were taken off, we were compressed at the back, couldn't counter attack with speed and they scored. Being 1-0 ahead with 15 mins to go doesn't equate to shutting up shop.

Sterling was rubbish IMO - a lot of running into dead-ends and hence didn't actually produce much. Looked afraid of being out wide, despite essentially being played as a winger. Agreed on the Rooney front - he had a great game.
 Alan M 11 Jun 2016
> Typical England. They blow it when the games there for the taking. Milner gives the ball away in the Russian half and 60 seconds later the balls in the back of the England net.

I agree I thought a sucker punch was coming. When you are that dominant you need to take your chances or have some luck etc. England did neither though at times our attacking play looked good and with a lot of creativity. If it clicks we could do ok if it doesn't well same old England.
Post edited at 22:34
 nathan79 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Genuinely disappointed for the lads from south of the border.
A lot of decent opportunities and a cracking free kick. Can't understand why Rooney came off, should've been lacklustre Kane.
 Skyfall 11 Jun 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

Sterling took the pressure off by his pace and clearing the ball upfield time after time. Kane was the worst; very poor. Rooney surprised me; excellent. Anyway, my point stands, Roy H changed the shape of the team for the worse, albeit fresher, before the job was really done. England never shuts up shop well, we're not Italy. Big mistake.
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> I thought France looked good, and Payet was awesome

> Will England beat Russia tomorrow?

I'm in France. But I had the good sense to see Wales today. I saw England in Marseille at France 98 so I knew there would be a lot of trouble today. And England are crap. Bordeaux is great and I'm climbing tomorrow.
 Dave the Rave 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

> Shit result and feels like a loss but I seen enough from England to suggest that if it clicks they could do quite well.

> Seeing the end footage with the Russian fans attacking the England supporters in the stands. I would not want to be in the city of Marseille tonight!!

Not seen it but you've got to worry about any genuine fans caught in that. For the rest you reap what has been sewn in the past and it's another thing that we invented and now aren't any good at. Brexit!
 Alan M 11 Jun 2016
> Not seen it but you've got to worry about any genuine fans caught in that. For the rest you reap what has been sewn in the past and it's another thing that we invented and now aren't any good at. Brexit!

BBC news 24 has got footage from inside the stadium and reports from people who witnessed it. Basically rush of people from the Russian section behind the goal in to the England section. The vast majority of England fans run across the stand in opposite direction to get away. Bottleneck forms at the end of the stand due to security fence so fans start jumping over the end of stand partition/fence and dropping on to concourse below etc.
Post edited at 23:34
 goldmember 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Given the amount of space and time he was tonight you could be englands Pirlo
OP Yanis Nayu 12 Jun 2016
In reply to goldmember:

> Given the amount of space and time he was tonight you could be englands Pirlo

Not with my dodgy groin! I think I'd be more of a Gattuso.
In reply to Skyfall:

I never understand changing the dynamic of a team that's all over the opposition, especially only at one up. Swapping Rashford or Vardy for Kane I could understand. Not sure about Sterling - his end product was poor but as you say, he was relieving pressure by running with the ball. You probably expect a bit of end product at that level though. I've never been a huge fan of Lallana, but I thought he was excellent last night.
 ianstevens 12 Jun 2016
In reply to Skyfall:

> Sterling took the pressure off by his pace and clearing the ball upfield time after time. Kane was the worst; very poor. Rooney surprised me; excellent. Anyway, my point stands, Roy H changed the shape of the team for the worse, albeit fresher, before the job was really done. England never shuts up shop well, we're not Italy. Big mistake.

Fair enough - I suppose I didn't conisider his defensive role, just saw a lot of runs into defenders. I think that's harsh on Kane, when you receive as little service as he did as a lone striker there's only so much you can do. I can totally see his logic in going (marginally) more defensive - but yes, as we have no quality defenders of note, it was a silly thing to do.
 BnB 12 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Not with my dodgy groin! I think I'd be more of a Gattuso.

But Pirlo could only play like Pirlo because of Gattuso's shepherding expertise.
 Rampikino 12 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Appears that Germany and Ukraine kicked off a few hours early outside the stadium...

Why this time after a few years of relatively peaceful tournaments?
 wilkie14c 12 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I've never been a fan of Rooney and certainly don't think he is going to have 'his' tournament like shearer, liniker and Owen did. Yes he plays some intelligent balls but vardy ain't gonna get on the end of them on the bench is he.
Have a good group showing and the team would ooze confidence, why does hodgson pick the teams he does is beyond me
Lusk 12 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

The tournament winners are about to kick off
 Babika 12 Jun 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

> Why this time after a few years of relatively peaceful tournaments?

I'm afraid that the mind of an aggressive thug doesn't bear scrutiny to any rational process.
Football has got bugger all to do with any of it. It just happens to be a backdrop.

Maybe the French police were so preoccupied with terrorists in recent months that the intelligence regarding forthcoming Euro 2016 violence slipped under the radar.

British police are so savvy with this that violence rarely gets anywhere near the stadiums nowadays. I was at Wembley last week for the England -Portugal football and never saw a single policeman anywhere outside the stadium, before or after. International footie in England really is a safe environment these days.
In reply to Lusk:

Ukraine? I saw their goalie play for Shakhtar in Donetsk in 2013. Didn't do much, Shakhtar won 7-0.
In reply to Rampikino:

> Appears that Germany and Ukraine kicked off a few hours early outside the stadium...

No idea, but it's a worry.
 alastairmac 12 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

English football fans behave like the military wing of the Leave campaign. Foot soldiers for Farage.
 Alan M 12 Jun 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

> Appears that Germany and Ukraine kicked off a few hours early outside the stadium...

No idea what the reasons are but I am throwing my money on Wales to win it. There won't be any teams left by next week if UEFA are serious in their threats about potential expulsions.

By my estimation we have now had fans from England, France, Russia, Northern Ireland, Poland, Germany and Ukraine all involved in violence.

On a serious note though I am not surprised by the violence as it has been increasing across Europe at club level football for the last few years.
 yorkshireman 12 Jun 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

> English football fans behave like the military wing of the Leave campaign. Foot soldiers for Farage.

I've got a ticket for the France v Albania match in Marseille on Wednesday (free ticket from work and Marseille is just a 2 hour train ride for me so I thought why not?). Reckon I'm going to pretend to be Albanian (or maybe Scottish?) on the day as I think the English have forfeited any hospitality there now.
 Cú Chullain 12 Jun 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

Quite a few East European football clubs are still riddled with a hardcore racist/neo nazi/homophobic element which for some reason UEFA/FIFA have done very little to censure despite repeated transgressions (gang fighting, monkey chanting, throwing bananas at black players etc) English clubs these days are pretty safe venues and are a fry cry from the bad days in the 80s, not perfect but effective policing and corporation from the clubs themselves has seen vast improvements.
Gone for good 12 Jun 2016
In reply to alastairmac:

> English football fans behave like the military wing of the Leave campaign. Foot soldiers for Farage.

There's nothing like a good stereotype eh?
 Alan M 12 Jun 2016

Is anyone worried about the England/Wales game this week? Not just drunken hooligans from the UK but the prospect of French Ultras causing trouble. They have already been involved in trouble on day one with England and Russia and also last night with many reports saying they started the violence at the Northern Ireland v Poland game.
Post edited at 20:58
 wilkie14c 12 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Considering the sunshine and all day drinking, one has to commend the behaviour of the scots. It's as if they aren't even there.
Lusk 12 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Ukraine?

Don't be silly now!
Neuer did what he's good at and the best 1st half so far.
Lusk 12 Jun 2016
In reply to yorkshireman:

> Reckon I'm going to pretend to be Albanian (or maybe Scottish?) on the day as I think the English have forfeited any hospitality there now.

Why don't you try and be a man and stand up and be seen as a decent English person, like 99.99% of the other fans there, and mingle with the locals?
 MG 13 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

What do people see in football? It's corrupt.to the core, is followed by violent, racist thugs, and isn't even a good game.
Lusk 13 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

> What do people see in football? It's corrupt.to the core, is followed by violent, racist thugs.

I know, here's a typical example of one of them... http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=22337
I take it you're a Remainer?
 Nevis-the-cat 13 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

I'm guessing you've never been to a match.....

...and have been on the wine.

People who know f*ck all about the game always major on the idiots. There are idiots in all professions. Most of the professional players I know or who have met just go about there job much the same as anyone.

Football, in reality, is weekend in weekend out volunteers running leagues, trying to maintain pitches, coaching and volunteering and putting in a huge amount of time for little or no monetary reward. it's a grass roots game. don't be fooled by a very small number of Premiership players in swanky cars. Most pro's outside of the Prem and large Championship clubs are not on big wages, with job security poor.

I've been going to the togger since i was and worked for the FA for a while. The thug count in perspective, is tiny and I must have missed out on the corruption.
 galpinos 13 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

I think you are confusing people who love football and people who love fighting, but use football and patriotism as an excuse to beat the crap out of someone. The scenes in France do have an horrible hint of organisation to them to me....

As to it not even being a good game, I don't play football, never really have (rugby through my youth) but even I can see that the simplicity and elegance makes it the most accessible ball sport to play and a joy to watch.
 Babika 13 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

What I really want to know, is why is Kane taking all the dead balls? What is that all about?

He's no David Beckham, so wouldn't he be a bit more useful in the box?

galpinos 13 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

Kane taking the corners and Sterling as the target man, makes total sense. Ideal use of their relative skills and height......
 Babika 13 Jun 2016
In reply to galpinos:

Indeed. Hodgeson on seems to be working on the same logic....

Now, of course if we only had Andy Carroll in the box (fetches soapbox)
 galpinos 13 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

> Now, of course if we only had Andy Carroll in the box (fetches soapbox)

That soapbox seem to be a fetching claret and blue design......

BnB 13 Jun 2016
In reply to galpinos:

> Kane taking the corners and Sterling as the target man, makes total sense. Ideal use of their relative skills and height......

It's to limit the opportunities for Sterling to pass to the opposition. Makes good sense when you think about it.
Donald82 13 Jun 2016
In reply to galpinos:

> Kane taking the corners and Sterling as the target man, makes total sense. Ideal use of their relative skills and height......

Er.... far, far, far better that Kane takes the corners than Sterling.
 galpinos 13 Jun 2016
In reply to BnB:

Gotcha!
 Cú Chullain 13 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

An interesting article in the Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ken-early-russians-go-...

On Friday evening I was sitting at the Havana Cafe on the south quays of Marseille’s Old Port watching France play Romania in the opening match of Euro 2016. I had chosen this place not because it had a special atmosphere or because it seemed likely to be the sort of spot where exciting things might happen, but because it was the only place where I’d spotted a free stool with a good view of the TV.

The people sitting watching the match in the crowded outdoor section were mainly English but there were also groups of French – men and women, ranging in age between about 20 and 50.

The English sitting immediately behind me were Leicester City fans. They talked about the trouble in the town and whose fault it was. “It’s not even us,” one said. Who is it then, I wondered. “Loads of Marseille, all dressed in black.” Hit-and- run attacks by these locals were apparently causing much of the trouble.

I was sceptical of the role of these black-clad “Marseille”. I had my own ideas of how the trouble had started, based on what I had seen at the Old Port on Thursday night and earlier on Friday evening.

It seemed to me as though the violence was the predictable outcome of the natural friction between large numbers of drunken, boisterous England fans, twitchy French riot police and local bar owners who were happy to sell bottled beer all night. It was as inevitable in its own way as a chemical reaction. Put the right ingredients together, it goes bang.

Those English who were part of the singing mob would protest their innocence. All they were doing was drinking, singing, taking their shirts off, throwing their beer in the air, jumping up and down . . . just having a laugh. What’s the problem with that? What else do you do when you go away for a football match?

As long as these England fans fail to recognise that when they do this they are effectively raising a collective middle finger to the city, they will continue to get cracked over the head by foreign riot squads without understanding why.

There is a failure to appreciate how their behaviour looks from the other point of view. Stupid drunken bant-ics – throwing stuff, climbing up on things, making fun of passers-by – might not constitute outright aggression, but it puts the police on edge.

And triumphalist arrogance – raising your arms wide and chanting “F**k off Europe” or “Marseille is Ours” – is a challenge laid down to the local hard men. When you behave like this, you don’t have to go looking for trouble. It comes looking for you.

So I sat thinking idly along these lines, while wondering why Didier Deschamps apparently preferred Olivier Giroud to Anthony Martial, when behind me there was a sudden, startling eruption of chaos.

I spun around to see drinks and chairs flying, people sprawling amidst overturned tables, and glass bottles whizzing through the air. My first instinct was to avoid flying glass, so I cowered back against the bar. The middle-aged Frenchman who had been sitting at my table with his wife tried to shield her as a mass of people jostled together at the side of what had been the street terrace. Punches flailed amidst the melee.

Thirty seconds later the riot police came crowding onto the scene, but the fighting was already over. The assailants had vanished. One England fan was already pressing a shirt to the bleeding head of another who had been struck behind the ear by a bottle.

Piecing together what had happened with others who were there, it seemed that some local hoods had come running out of the adjacent side street, laid waste to the unsuspecting bar in a hail of bottles and chairs, and retreated back up the same street as quickly as they had come.

I tweeted some pictures and some messages saying that at the Havana Cafe at least, English fans had been the victims rather than the aggressors.

This turned out to be a point that plenty of people in England wanted to see made. Most of the English media coverage was portraying the English supporters as shameful villainous scum, so any evidence that they were not the only miscreants in Marseille was seized upon gratefully.

Some constituencies in England were keener to seize upon it than others. I woke the next morning to discover that I had 2,000 new followers and the “Who To Follow” algorithm was recommending hard-right mouthpieces like Katie Hopkins and Milo Yiannopoulos.

By then I thought I had developed a reasonably complete idea of the mechanics of the disorder. The English crowd creates a trouble magnet, attracting the troublesome elements in the city, and the circle of chaos is complete when the aggressive police wade in with batons and tear gas.

But that afternoon a new dynamic came into play in the form of a couple of hundred terrifying Russian hooligans.

If the English “hooliganism” could be described as passive – taking up a static position and inviting trouble – the Russian form was active – going out and making it. They roamed the streets looking for stragglers to beat up. Over the course of the afternoon videos proliferated of Russians kicking and stamping on heads.

This is perhaps what English hooliganism would look like if the most violent English hooligans had not been weeded out by banning orders. The Russians were representing a flourishing hooligan culture on which the Russian authorities either cannot or will not crack down.

Of particular note were the photos of musclebound Russians posing proudly in the Old Port displaying their captured English flags, much as their grandfathers once piled the Nazi divisional standards before Stalin at the victory parades in Red Square. At full-time in the Velodrome the Russians first chased the English out of their section, then clambered up over the seats to rip down the flags their frightened foes had left behind. The Russians probably did not even realise how farcical this trophy-hunt really was.

The captured pieces of cloth did not represent the pride of some feared English “firm”. They’re usually a little memento of a trip taken by four or five friends, who were probably just hoping someone back home noticed their banner hanging up in the stadium and paused the TV to take a picture.

The Russians were at war with the myth of the English hooligan, an archetype established in the 1970s and 80s and since largely vanished from the earth, or at least barred from travelling abroad. The same goes, more or less, for the riot police and the local toughs, and maybe even for the English press and public, embarrassed that people are talking again about the English Disease.

The fans following England now continue to find plenty of obnoxious ways to behave, but they are the inheritors of a reputation they no longer deserve. History is a nightmare from which the England fans are trying to awake.
 Nevis-the-cat 13 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain: Good article.

Seems to be a number of similar veined articles and comment coming to light.

Even in the heyday of the 70's and 80's English hooligans were amateurs compared to Italian, Turkish and French Ultras. seems the Russians are another level again
OP Yanis Nayu 13 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Interesting article. I was always under the impression that the English hooligans fought with similarly minded idiots from other countries. The Russians just seem to want to inflict injury on anybody. Really quite sinister. It's also worrying how lax the security and policing is, with the very real terror threat highlighted befor the tournament.

Ireland one up with a brilliant goal!
In reply to Babika:

> What I really want to know, is why is Kane taking all the dead balls? What is that all about?

> He's no David Beckham, so wouldn't he be a bit more useful in the box?

I can't understand Hodgson's thinking with that.

I actually have a good feeling about this English team.
 Glyno 13 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

> What do people see in football? It's corrupt.to the core, is followed by violent, racist thugs, and isn't even a good game.

just out of interest, why did you click on a thread titled 'Euro 2016'?
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Just realised Holland didn't qualify! Weird not to have them at a major championship.
 Dave the Rave 13 Jun 2016
In reply to yorkshireman:

>). Reckon I'm going to pretend to be Albanian (or maybe Scottish?) on the day as I think the English have forfeited any hospitality there now.
I hear you Tykes do a good impression of a Jock at the bar?
 Chris H 13 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
25 + years after hillsborough / heysel why on earth are we still seeing fans reportedly pushed up against fences following poor policing? Who thought having russian and england fans next to each other seperated by a few stewards was in any way safe?
Gone for good 13 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

The Italians show us all how to play football. Excellent team. Well deserved and impressive win tonight.

Pass for the first goal was sniper-like, and the second goal was a great strike.
 Brian 13 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu: The first touch from the pass was even better !

In reply to Brian:

> The first touch from the pass was even better !

Diffwent gwavy, as Woy would say.
 Rampikino 14 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36515283

Fairly interesting topic on the BBC this morning. I think this and everything else we have seen over the last week points to a few conclusions:

1. English "fans" still have a terrible reputation and are paying for it in many ways.
2. English "fans" are still capable of being violent and obnoxious.
3. A new breed of football hooligan is in France and it makes English "fans" look like silly lads getting drunk in Ibiza.
4. There doesn't seem to be a genuine and concerted plan to deal with the trouble other than Police throwing tear gas around.

I worry about what is going to happen over the next few days.

Oh, and the next World Cup is in Russia...?
 Alan M 14 Jun 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

Just seen the news seems that some English and Welsh fans have clashed with Russian fans in Lille. The England and Wales fans probably not doing themselves any favours by singing

We're England and Wales, F..K Off Russia we're England and Wales.
 MG 14 Jun 2016
In reply to Glyno:

> just out of interest, why did you click on a thread titled 'Euro 2016'?

Because its in the news.
 MG 14 Jun 2016
In reply to galpinos:

> I think you are confusing people who love football and people who love fighting,

Perhaps some of that but why do fans need separate areas at games if it's only a few? And what about FIFA imploding with corruption?

> As to it not even being a good game,
It's too sensitive to luck. Leagues sort if work but knock outs are too unpredictable to be entertaining.
 MG 14 Jun 2016
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

> I must have missed out on the corruption.

?? Come on!
andymac 14 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Well done Island .

Nice too see Ronaldo's ego taking a dent.

Arrogant twot.

Did he shake hands with any of the opposition at the end?
In reply to Rampikino:

> Oh, and the next World Cup is in Russia...?

Now thats worrying for any travelling fans.

Babika 14 Jun 2016
In reply to andymac:

Indeed.

I think I'll swap my allegiance to Iceland if things get rocky in Group B

A country the same size as Leicester, 10% of whom have decamped to France for the tournament, a fabulous goal against our nemesis Portugal and lots of interesting names on the backs of the shirts.

What's not to like?
 Skyfall 14 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

> What's not to like?

The cod war?
Lusk 14 Jun 2016
In reply to Skyfall:

Codswallop
XXXX 15 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

> What's not to like?

Volcanic ash clouds?

galpinos 15 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

Genuine question, why do you think it is more susceptible to luck than any other sport? When people bang on about the wrong team winning, there is normally a reason, dominating possession and ahaving chances but not converting etc?
 Nevis-the-cat 15 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:
I think you are confusing FIFA with the FA.

Whilst there is / was undoubtedly corruption at the higher level, the day to day is just individuals trying to do a half decent job.

The FA/ LTA/Sport England/ RFU and most local authorities draw their staff from the same pool. A regional manager for a sporting body is not really on the same planet as Sepp Blatter, in the same way an RBS manager is not Fred the Shred.
Post edited at 07:32
 galpinos 15 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

> Perhaps some of that but why do fans need separate areas at games if it's only a few?

I have no good response to that. I would say as you go down the leagues this doesn't happen and most of the "football world" isn't what we see on TV. The last match I went to was between Christams and New Year at Craven Cottage with my brother in law, nephew and friends. There was no violence or aggression, just a great atmosphere in which my nephew, at 12, felt comfortable to wander off to get a coke etc and we got to watch a great game of football.

> And what about FIFA imploding with corruption?

Well, that's disgraceful but it's a shame if that taints your opinion of the kids in the park playing Sunady League.

Rampikino 15 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

> Just seen the news seems that some English and Welsh fans have clashed with Russian fans in Lille. The England and Wales fans probably not doing themselves any favours by singing

> We're England and Wales, F..K Off Russia we're England and Wales.

Without wanting to downplay something that is worrying, it does seem to be incredibly minor (thankfully). Thank heavens the English and Welsh are getting on!
 Martin W 15 Jun 2016
In reply to galpinos:

> The last match I went to was between Christams and New Year at Craven Cottage

Which one of those two public holidays won?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Glad you enjoyed the game.
 FreshSlate 15 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:
The failed Icelandic banks which we paid for the losses for up until this year?
Post edited at 09:04
 galpinos 15 Jun 2016
In reply to Martin W:

Christmas definitely! New Year was spent with a heavily pregnant wife who was feeling very rough., she was on top form for Christmas though!
Bellie 15 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Didn't see the game... other stuff to do, but from BBC web site:.... Mardy bum?

Portugal star Cristiano Ronaldo hit out at Iceland's lack of ambition after the two sides drew 1-1 at Euro 2016.

The Real Madrid star also refused to shake the hands of the Iceland players after the group match in Saint-Etienne.

"I thought they'd won the Euros the way they celebrated at the end," he said.

"It was unbelievable. We tried hard to win the game and Iceland didn't try anything. This, in my opinion, shows a small mentality and they are not going to do anything in the competition."

But former Iceland international Hermann Hreidarsson called Ronaldo "petty" and a "sore loser".

The former Ipswich, Charlton and Portsmouth defender, 41, told BBC Radio 5 live: "He thought he could have goals handed to him on a plate.

"If he would have worked as hard as every Icelandic player, he wouldn't have had to say anything because I'm sure he would have got his rewards.

"He didn't fancy it on the day and he just got beaten up."
Clauso 15 Jun 2016
In reply to Bellie:

> The Real Madrid star also refused to shake the hands of the Iceland players after the group match in Saint-Etienne.

I watched it and, yes, he was a petulant mard arse. Again.
Post edited at 10:35
 Cú Chullain 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

This just about sums it up

youtube.com/watch?v=yxzrhw7Lb1g&
 yorkshireman 16 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

> Perhaps some of that but why do fans need separate areas at games if it's only a few? And what about FIFA imploding with corruption?

I was at the France v Albania match last night and was blown away by the behaviour of the fans and the atmosphere.

I went down to the Vieux Port in the early afternoon, scene of the carnage at the weekend and it was just full of fans in bars having a sing song, or playing impromptu games of football in the marina.

Walking down to the stadium from Place Castellane, every single pavement cafe was packed with fans drinking and singing. Albanians and French honking their horns and waving flags from cars as they passed.

When we got to the Pradio (or something) roundabout near the stadium, huge groups of fans from both sides were alternately getting into renditions of their team's chants - a great big sing off basically. Fans were mixing, taking photos with each other and despite a huge police presence, the security services were pretty relaxed too - I saw many riot squad meatheads having selfies taken with Albanian fans.

All the while, people were drinking on the streets in pint beakers or glass bottles of Heineken. But nobody was insanely, staggeringly drunk. The bottom line is it was just really good fun, and completely what the event should be about.

In the stadium despite the huge Albanian section, there were still loads mixed in with the rest of the fans and again absolutely no problems that I saw.

It was really great to see - I've got friends and colleagues going to the England game this aftenoon and I don't envy them the stress of having to watch their backs the whole time and worry where the next tear gas canister is coming from.
 Pids 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Tidy!

Second half of "Battle of Britain" going to be interesting now.
 Tony the Blade 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Pids:

Two great substitutions... In Roy we trust haha

Rampikino 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Hope I'm not speaking too soon, but it sounds as though people are behaving tonight.
 Babika 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

I think the policing has been sorted out.

And the Russian troublemakers expelled.
 Babika 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

Cracking result for Northern Ireland - I'm so pleased with that
 Rampikino 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

Agreed. Delighted for them. They are guaranteed 3rd at least so may get to last 16.
 Rampikino 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

Also sounds like great spirit between English and Welsh fans.
andymac 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
I must be getting old .or something.

I just can't be arsed with any of this football malarkey any more.

How times have changed.

'Educating Joey Essex' for me. Should be informative.

Edit. Joey is grilling Boris right now. Powerful stuff
Post edited at 20:56
OP Yanis Nayu 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Christ on a bike - that strike by Payet against the bar was something special.

Who's looking forward to going to Russia to watch the World Cup in a couple of years?
OP Yanis Nayu 19 Jun 2016
In reply to andymac:

I make the most of every major sporting tournament these days.
 Babika 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I'm looking forward to tonight! But I have so many Slovak friends that it's going to be tricky. Was in Banska Bystrica a few years back when Hamsik wandered in and sat at the next table with his wife and baby. I went all dewy eyed and wanted to ask for a selfie but managed to retrain myself.

I do wish the commentators would get the pronunciation right though - Ham-sheek not Ham-sick
 ianstevens 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

> I do wish the commentators would get the pronunciation right though - Ham-sheek not Ham-sick

It amazes me how they can't get things like this correct. I was glad when van Gaal was sacked as it meant we didn't have to listen to his name being pronounced incorrectly any longer, despite the fact he actually told one of the journalists how to pronounce it when he got the job (unless I dreamed that up).
Gone for good 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

Interesting team selection tonight if not a little risky. England may not qualify and I would have thought the best 11 should be starting the game.
Clauso 20 Jun 2016

> Interesting team selection tonight if not a little risky. England may not qualify and I would have thought the best 11 should be starting the game.

Maybe Woy is in favour of Brexit, and this is his way of influencing the vote?
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Sheep shaggers 1 up.
In reply to Clauso:

Maybe Wales will be the only part of the UK left in Europe by Thursday. They're off to a good start.

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Sheep shaggers two up!
 Alan M 20 Jun 2016
> Interesting team selection tonight if not a little risky. England may not qualify and I would have thought the best 11 should be starting the game.

So would I. Dominating the game but not creating a lot.

Have to say not since the days of Bruno Cheyrou at Liverpool have I heard such hype for an over rated player. Well I can honestly say Wilshere is challenging for that crown. Just what does he bring to the midfield? Never rated him for Arsenal, never for England and today he is Englands worst player and by some.
Post edited at 20:52
 Babika 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

+1 to that
In reply to Babika:

I sense a sucker punch coming. Too much at stake to risk this team selection. I hope I'm proved to be wrong.
andymac 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

Correct.

He is a charlatan .

OP Yanis Nayu 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

> So would I. Dominating the game but not creating a lot.

> Have to say not since the days of Bruno Cheyrou at Liverpool have I heard such hype for an over rated player. Well I can honestly say Wilshere is challenging for that crown. Just what does he bring to the midfield? Never rated him for Arsenal, never for England and today he is Englands worst player and by some.

I didn't recognise Wilshere as a Slovakian name, but he's passed to them more than his own players.

> I sense a sucker punch coming.

It nearly just came!

Alan M 20 Jun 2016
In reply to andymac:
> Correct.

> He is a charlatan .

Maybe the Arsenal supporters can tell us what his special skill set is? He's an alright professional but I have never seen anything that justifies the hype that follows him.
Post edited at 21:15
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
So has Henderson.
Oh surprise surprise. ......Wilshere off. Well that experiment hasn't worked out too well.
Post edited at 21:16
andymac 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

A decent pro. When he's fit.....

The fact that he is even at the Euros is a disgrace.

Woy loves him.
 Alan M 20 Jun 2016
In reply to andymac:

> A decent pro. When he's fit.....

> The fact that he is even at the Euros is a disgrace.

Danny Drinkwater was more deserving than both Wilshere and Henderson.

In reply to andymac:

> A decent pro. When he's fit.....

> The fact that he is even at the Euros is a disgrace.

> Woy loves him.

And Drinkwater, the midfield lynchpin of the premier league champions, sits at home twiddling his thumbs.
andymac 20 Jun 2016

> And Drinkwater, the midfield lynchpin of the premier league champions, sits at home twiddling his thumbs.

Yep.

If I was Drinkwater ,I would retire gracefully from the Engerland set up.

Either that or tell Woy to get Fukked the next time he's informed he's being included in the squad for a meaningless friendly.
 Babika 20 Jun 2016

I would have taken Drinkwater but Hodgson has his favourites and seems reluctant to take/play best in-current-form players against the old favourites.

Gutted that we look like taking second rather than first place in the group, but glad Russia are going home!
In reply to Babika:
It's really frustrating watching England. Something is missing up front. Very few clear cut chances being created, a goal looks unlikely now.

Clauso 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

> Gutted that we look like taking second rather than first place in the group, but glad Russia are going home!

Exactly! Great result for Wales.

I expect that Vlad will have them all summarily executed now?
In reply to Babika:

I'm glad Russia are going home too, despite having lots of good Russian friends. Their fans are scum.

Frustrating watching England. They may fare better if they play a team not parking the bus. Skrtel was everywhere.
 Alan M 20 Jun 2016

> It's really frustrating watching England. Something is missing up front.

Frustrating isn't the word. England dominated that group from a footballing point of view but a lack of goals and clinical edge has screwed us.

Great result for Wales I'm suppprting all the home nations. Fingers crossed for Northern Ireland.

Welsh Kate 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

Well, I didn't expect that!

In reply to Welsh Kate:

Great goal scoring by Wales. They showed finishing skills England can only hope to match.
 Skyfall 20 Jun 2016

Having watched England earlier this eve, the only laugh I've had all night was the link guy after Love Island (my other half insists on watching...) say how pleased he was to see someone from England score at last!
Post edited at 23:07
 Welsh Kate 20 Jun 2016

Just watching the highlights (missed most of the match unfortunately) and I know Russia have been cr@p all tournament but Wales were so dominant, could have scored a bundle more. Really looking forward to the next game now!
 Skyfall 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Welsh Kate:

God knows what my Welsh relies are going to say
 Alan M 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> Well, I didn't expect that!

>

I don't think anyone did. The Welsh lads did what was needed over the 3 games combined a tad of luck (Bales goal against Slovakia) with a brilliant performance tonight but importantly scored every game.

England on the other hand dominated the games but failed where it mattered most..didn't score enough goals!!

Wales now have a great chance of reaching the quarters or semis. England will have to do it the hard way if they want to get that far.

In reply to Welsh Kate:

> Well, I didn't expect that!

>

I did. I've just got back from France having seen a few games including Wales. Their fans were great and the team deserve to have won the group. I look forward to their next game.
Princess Bobina 21 Jun 2016

Oh dear, another time to be embarrassed to be English.

Honestly, we play like its a cup final against a very average Welsh side and suddenly we've got the most exciting side since '66.

Alan M 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Princess Bobina:

> Oh dear, another time to be embarrassed to be English.

> Honestly, we play like its a cup final against a very average Welsh side and suddenly we've got the most exciting side since '66.

Why is it a time to be embarrassed? As a footballing team we were the best in the group over 3 games... dominated every game created chances but just failed to score enough. It happens!. I will put money on it that if we play Portugal next round we will find it easier to score.
 ianstevens 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

> Why is it a time to be embarrassed? As a footballing team we were the best in the group over 3 games... dominated every game created chances but just failed to score enough. It happens!. I will put money on it that if we play Portugal next round we will find it easier to score.

Unfortunatley, goals win games, not possesion. Too many sideways balls (it's like watching a team of Gareth Barrys) and passes into feet rather than through balls for my liking.
 Alan M 21 Jun 2016
In reply to ianstevens:
> Unfortunatley, goals win games, not possesion. Too many sideways balls (it's like watching a team of Gareth Barrys) and passes into feet rather than through balls for my liking.

What you say is True however,overall the way England are playing is still a positive going in to the knock out stages. Even with the sideways balls the team still created enough chances to have won each game comfortably. Going forward teams generally open up I'm confident Englands attacking line will find the space and opportunity to bag goals in the next game.

I'm used to watching this type of performance with Liverpool. Dominate games, fail to score, scrape a draw or lose then hammer the next few teams by 4. Watching England is just like watching Liverpool
Post edited at 11:10
 ianstevens 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

> What you say is True however,overall the way England are playing is still a positive going in to the knock out stages. Even with the sideways balls the team still created enough chances to have won each game comfortably. Going forward teams generally open up I'm confident Englands attacking line will find the space and opportunity to bag goals in the next game.

Fair enough - it's just frustrating to watch the ball being "twiddled about" (my mother's words there) rather than used to push forward at pace. I agree that its a far more positive-looking England side than we've had in quite a long time, and it is hard to break down 10 man defensive buses.

> I'm used to watching this type of performance with Liverpool. Dominate games, fail to score, scrape a draw or lose then hammer the next few teams by 4. Watching England is just like watching Liverpool

Almost like half the England team play for them

Mike Stretford 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:
> Watching England is just like watching Liverpool

That isn't vey encouraging :0)

I think it's been like watching United under Van Gaal. They've honed the possession side of their game but at the expense of over aspects. I actually think they are going to be vunerable to the counter attacking game against better sides.... I thought a more spirited Slvoakia could have nicked one last night.
Post edited at 11:16
 Alan M 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Mike Stretford:

> That isn't vey encouraging :0)

The positive we made 2 finals this year, ok we lost them both but it works for knock out football lol. No one actually thinks England will win anything do they?

> I think it's been like watching United under Van Gaal. They've honed the possession side of their game but at the expense of over aspects. I actually think they are going to be vunerable to the counter attacking game against better sides.... I thought a more spirited Slvoakia could have nicked one last night.

I think that is the positive aspect of knock out football teams open up as they need goals. No point in a 8 9 or 10 man defence. England will ship goals but hopefully the extra space round the back gives our attackers and full backs greater opportunity to get forward. Last night Skovakia played for a point and got it.

If we can copy Liverpool under Rodgers then we'll do ok. Ship 3 score 4 lol

andymac 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Princess Bobina:
> Oh dear, another time to be embarrassed to be English.

> Honestly, we play like its a cup final against a very average Welsh side and suddenly we've got the most exciting side since '66.

Agree.

It's called hype.

The worst thing that happened to England this year was beating Germany.

The reaction, and overreaction , were slightly cringeworthy.

Overnight , Dier ,Alli and Vardy ,and England were world beaters .

Hype ,whether it's of your own making ,or the result of jingoistic media , is nearly always very difficult to live up to.

Example .....John Stones .....one of the best defenders in Europe .apparently.
Post edited at 18:13
 Babika 22 Jun 2016
In reply to andymac:

On the bright side, at least I can go camping in North Wales this weekend without having to arm wrestle folk in a pub to watch England on a 32" screen somewhere on Saturday night.
Gone for good 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

Well done and well played to Hungary and Iceland.

Great game to listen on the radio - Hungary v Portugal.

England now play Iceland in the next round.

Who would have thought that a Week ago?
 Skyfall 22 Jun 2016

England v Iceland. Depsite some comments above in support of a plucky Iceland, this does have some interesting historic associations. Still, I have to admit I do prefer Iceland to a Portugal who appear to have found their goal scoring ability (even if they were leaking badly at the back).
 Babika 22 Jun 2016
Cracking game to watch on TV - must have been amazing to be there!

I was just sinking into gloom at the prospect of our bogeyman Ronaldo popping up on Monday night when.....who'd have thought it, a 93rd minute goal AGAIN!

Good old Iceland
Post edited at 19:24
 Alan M 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Skyfall:
Sucks to be England though, Roy must be cursing himself making all those changes against Slovakia (When comparing Englands side of the draw compared to Wales).

If I was a Welshman I would be dreaming that Wales could go to the quarters/semis at a minimum on current form.
Post edited at 19:51
 Babika 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

Yep, it was in our own hands, and we blew it.

I'm not Welsh but I'm still hoping they go a long way! Maybe all the way.

I support all the home nations and can never quite understand why it isn't reciprocated in tournaments...<sad face>
 Alan M 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

> Yep, it was in our own hands, and we blew it.

> I'm not Welsh but I'm still hoping they go a long way! Maybe all the way.

> I support all the home nations and can never quite understand why it isn't reciprocated in tournaments...<sad face>

The only changes we should have made were Kane and Sterling off for Sturridge and Vardy not 6 team changes. Yes we dominated the game and Yes we had enough chances to have won it but the momentum we gained from beating Wales was lost in all of those changes.

Same here, I support all of the home nations. England is my nation but my country is the UKofGB&NI. I also find it a bit sad that the support isn't reciprocated as widely from the other home nations. Oh well, just makes it a little bit more fun when we beat them as my best mate is Welsh and my family are mainly Scottish etc.

Who ever does win it, if they come from the England side of the draw they will have earned it!!
Gone for good 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

I'll predict an Italy Croatia final even though I have no idea what side of the draw they are on.
Best 2 teams so far in my humble opinion.
 Alan M 22 Jun 2016
I can see them getting to the final also. very good teams. My money is still on Germany my work mate has an each way bet on Wales that he put on about 6 weeks ago. That is looking like it could pay off also.

Different sides. Italy are on the England side of the draw Croatia the Wales side I think (will check now so don't hold me to it yet).

Italy will need to beat Spain next round that won't be easy.
Post edited at 20:46
 Babika 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

Did anyone else dislike the Away kit that Spain were wearing last night?

From a distance it looked as if they'd all been shot in the heart with a big splodge of blood seeping out. Yuk

And the Switzerland kit 2 nights ago - good grief. I think there were about 5 changes of shirts when they all kept falling to pieces. Perhaps they were made by Terra Nova.
 Alan M 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

> Did anyone else dislike the Away kit that Spain were wearing last night?

> From a distance it looked as if they'd all been shot in the heart with a big splodge of blood seeping out. Yuk

Yes, not the best kit I have seen, looked like a huge dollop of mustard and tomato a messy evening at an MJ's 24 hour drive through

Babika 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:
Come on Republic ofn Ireland - what a goal!
Post edited at 21:46
 Cú Chullain 22 Jun 2016

Silvio Berlusconi, Julius Caesar, Romulas and Remus, Lola Ferrari, Toto Schillaci; - can you hear me, Matteo Renzi!, your boys took a hell of a beating !!!!
Post edited at 21:55
Lusk 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

and that's Turkey out of Euro(pe)2016...you couldn't make it up! hahaha!
OP Yanis Nayu 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

> Come on Republic ofn Ireland - what a goal!

Brilliant!
 elsewhere 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:
Very good!
 Alan M 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:
Great Result for the ROI did what was needed. Thought that miss about 2 minutes before the goal was it. Great character to go again. The Italians proving too many changes ruins the momentum also.

Not sure they will get past France next round but certainly a massive achievement. If they do get past France they could play England in quarters if England get past Iceland. tasty proposition!!

Last 16 Wales v Northern Ireland. Shame the UK is definitely losing a team next round
Post edited at 22:04
 Postmanpat 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

England v Iceland

Why do I already have about feeling about this.....?
 Alan M 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

> England v Iceland

> Why do I already have about feeling about this.....?

Same, in many ways I would have preferred Portugal. I think we would have found it easier to score against Portugal as both teams have an attacking style of play. I have a feeling Iceland will defend deep and hit on the counter. We might struggle to break them down if they score before us!!
 Babika 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

Definitely not Portugal!!

Remember England played Portugal at the last friendly just 3 weeks ago and for 85 minutes, with no Ronaldo, we failed to threaten at all. And that was playing with Vardy, Kane, Rooney etc. An 85th minute goal saved our blushes but it was embarrassingly bad.

Iceland any day

And at least 1 home side will def be in the quarters - good news all round
 Alan M 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:
> Definitely not Portugal!!

> Remember England played Portugal at the last friendly just 3 weeks ago and for 85 minutes, with no Ronaldo, we failed to threaten at all. And that was playing with Vardy, Kane, Rooney etc. An 85th minute goal saved our blushes but it was embarrassingly bad.

Possibly, the only problem with friendlies is that they usually fail to get players and/or supporters motivated. I honestly believe that friendlies should be scrapped, the game should mean something or don't play it at all. I think the way England are playing, good on the ball, flying full backs, creating chances playing Portugal who also play a high line is ideal for our attacking line to utilise the space. When teams defend like how Slovakia did 2nd half, Wales did 2nd half etc. we haven't go the creativity to break them down or that killer pass, we beat teams with pace and breaking their line not intricate passing. Obviously that is just my interpretation of what I have been watching.

> Iceland any day

It will be a hard game, they look pretty good from what I have seen.

> And at least 1 home side will def be in the quarters - good news all round
Post edited at 22:30
 Postmanpat 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

> Same, in many ways I would have preferred Portugal. I think we would have found it easier to score against Portugal as both teams have an attacking style of play. I have a feeling Iceland will defend deep and hit on the counter. We might struggle to break them down if they score before us!!

Out on penalties
 Babika 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

I've just heard the Icelandic commentator on the 93rd minute goal. Absolutely hilarious!
 Max factor 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

You have to look at the route England have to the semi-finals - Germany, Italy, France, Spain all on their side of the draw- and think that although Iceland may not be the worst opponent for the next game, we'd kill to be first in the group now.

Nice one Roy.
 Babika 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Max factor:

Yeah. I don't know what he was thinking either.

I wonder if he'll try an experimental line up on Iceland? You know, rest a few key players, move everyone else out of position and make them stick rigidly to it ....
Gone for good 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

So much for my prediction of Croatia going all the way to the final.

Come on Ireland. Great start to the game and nearly 2 up.

OP Yanis Nayu 26 Jun 2016

2-1 down now. Shit.
 Babika 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

What do we think tonight then?

2-0 is my prediction
OP Yanis Nayu 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

Who to?!
Clauso 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

> What do we think tonight then?

Roy Hodgson invokes Article 50, and England withdraw from the competition before half-time. Wayne Rooney resigns from the Shadow Cabinet. Iceland demand free movement of our cod.

Babika 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

errr - England!
 Tony the Blade 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

? - 0

England will score, maybe even 3 or 4. Iceland won't get a sniff of the onion bag. Therefore I predict an easy win for England this evening.

Tails up for France next week, in the SdF as well... it's all setting up nicely.
 yorkshireman 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Tony the Blade:

> Tails up for France next week, in the SdF as well... it's all setting up nicely.

France were rubbish yesterday in the first half and were really rattled by the penalty but had a word with themselves and made Ireland pay.

I was in the stadium in Lyon and the atmosphere was amazing - the Irish fans did their best but the French supporters dominated the noise. I was in the Stade Velodrome for the France v Albania game and there were probably more Albanian fans that time than Irish, but again the power of a home crowd counts for quite a bit I think.

I work for one of the sponsors and my job yesterday was to look after a load of the kids who were part of the opening ceremony on the pitch - it was fantastic experience (its not my day job, just an opportunity to participate) and the kids I was with (teenagers) were absolutely blown away by the experience as you'd expect walking out with the national teams with 70k people cheering.

We missed the penalty because we were all back in the tunnel and couldn't take our seats until 15 minutes in. My wife messaged me as we could hear the crowd going crazy and managed to find a live stream on somebody's phone. Felt really sorry for the Irish to lose that advantage but I also think France needs a good luck story at the moment too.
In reply to Babika:

My bet would get that Sterling falls a lot.
Gone for good 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Graeme Alderson:
Italy - best team by a mile so far. I'm still backing them to win.

Edit: Germany have never beaten Italy in 8 previous meetings in major tournaments.
Post edited at 18:56
In reply to Babika:

2-0 sounds about right, but nothing will surprise me.
In reply to Babika:

Halfway there!
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Lol.

> Lol.

England enjoying a minute of celebrations before coming down to earth with a bump.

Bit like Brexit then.....
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Fck me, i was tidying up the kitchen quickly and i missed two goals
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Double lol!!!
 Postmanpat 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> Fck me, i was tidying up the kitchen quickly and i missed two goals

Oh FFS , three
In reply to Postmanpat:

Saw that one. Think i will go back in the kitchen
 Babika 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

I can hardly believe this......
In reply to Babika:

Why does Sterling remind me of Bambi on ice??

Sterling off - Llanna on
Dier off - Wilshire on
Kane off - Vardy on

Job done.
 Dave Garnett 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:
The England team do know they aren't required to withdraw from Europe for at least two years, don't they?
 Cú Chullain 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Standard & Poor have just downgraded England football to LOL
Clauso 27 Jun 2016

> The England team do know they aren't required to withdraw from Europe for at least two years, don't they?

I refer you to my comment from 11:58 earlier today.
 sbc_10 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Clauso:

codswallop !!
 Dave Garnett 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Clauso:

Uncanny! Have we got time to organise a petition?
In reply to Babika:

> I can hardly believe this......

I can !

Did Peter Crouch get his new front teeth from an equine vet?

In reply to Cú Chullain:

Now that is funny!
 Andy Farnell 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu: Out fought, out thought, going out after this performance. Is Roy the managerial equivalent of the Remain campaign organiser?

Andy F

Postmanpat 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
I estimate that Iceland has about 25,000 males of 18-30 (and no professional football league) . England has about
5 million and the richest league in the world. How does that work?
Post edited at 21:08
 Cú Chullain 27 Jun 2016

Am I the only one here that gets irritated by Peter Crouch's teeth?

Edit - Beat me to it Bjartur i Sumarhus
Post edited at 21:12
In reply to Cú Chullain:

> Am I the only one here that gets irritated by Peter Crouch's teeth?

No.
 Babika 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Confidence. They've played exactly the same 11 for all the games - England have chopped, changed and fiddled around with strategies far too much to instill confidence.
In reply to Postmanpat:

I think you've got about a 50% chance of playing for Iceland if you're male aged 18-35 and able-bodied. I don't know if they've got national service, but if they do it could be a good time to go there on a stag do.
In reply to Babika:

They probably went to primary school together too.
 Dave Garnett 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Wrong sort of football, apparently. They play an unsophisticated form of the game, featuring long throw ins, direct attacking moves and the scoring of goals not seen since the 1980s.
 Cú Chullain 27 Jun 2016
England are useless

That said Corbyn is looking for around 11 people to fill vacancies
In reply to Babika:

We've being doing well in the rugby - I reckon they're getting confused because we've hit a few conversions tonight.
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
I like your thinking but the cost of beer is eye watering.
Lusk 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

I was wondering that earlier.
Possibly something to do with that there isn't that many English players in the PL.
 Postmanpat 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Owen Farrell would be proud of some of these kicks for touch.
 Cú Chullain 27 Jun 2016
Loving the Icelandic Viking chant
In reply to Postmanpat:

I wonder if Hodgson regrets not taking Andy Carrol now?
Lusk 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Football's coming home, football's coming home ...

Yeah, on the first plane tomorrow
 Alan M 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Lusk:
> Football's coming home, football's coming home ...

> Yeah, on the first plane tomorrow

Abysmal performance. Roy for the sack based on his pissing about and trying to be tactical with his 6 changes against Slovakia and this performance (regardless of result as 12 minutes to go)....My god, where did we find this bunch of amateurs?
Post edited at 21:37
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I was about to say that. It's awesome.
 Dave Ferguson 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Lusk:

lets look on the bright side, at least hodgson will get the sack!
Clauso 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I've got my fingers crossed that Iceland are going to deplete their reserves of small mentality, at some point in the last 10 minutes.
In reply to Clauso:

Harry Kane's been drugged.
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Harry Kane's been drugged.

The whole teams been drugged.

> ? - 0

> England will score, maybe even 3 or 4. Iceland won't get a sniff of the onion bag. Therefore I predict an easy win for England this evening.

Can I change my mind?
andymac 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Come on Iceland.

If this is on itv ,I would kill to hear Tyldesley .
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Pathetic.
Clauso 27 Jun 2016
In reply to andymac:

Triffic Del...
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Bye bye Woy!
 Cú Chullain 27 Jun 2016
Its impressive to get dumped out of Europe twice in four days
 Greasy Prusiks 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Clauso:

What's the difference between Englands football and it's Politics?

Pretty much nothing as it turns out.
andymac 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Loved,loved ,loved that.

im in da money.

In reply to andymac:

Every cloud.
 Alan M 27 Jun 2016

It is official after this week I am giving up on this country. If it isn't the football team it is my fellow citizens who bring shame on this country.

The only positive is that most of Europe's poor countries have a competitive football team, hopefully England will get one when our economy dies a death over the next few years!!
 DerwentDiluted 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

There's hope yet then, a small non EU country can punch above its weight after all.
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Thats it. Im done with this effing cvntry. Spelling error intended.
Clauso 27 Jun 2016

Beginning to wonder if I'm actually living in an episode of Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror...
 coachio 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Hodgson even played an Icelandic. Weareshitson.
pasbury 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

It's what we wanted isnt it? This is so funny.

Dislike me I like it.
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> There's hope yet then, a small non EU country can punch above its weight after all.

Mind you, Iceland has applied for membership of the EU.
 wbo 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu: My neighbours are going to laugh at me. Again

cander 27 Jun 2016
In reply to pasbury:

Didn't even need a referendum for this Brexit.
 Bulls Crack 27 Jun 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> There's hope yet then, a small non EU country can punch above its weight after all.

Is it a long-term plan you think? Brexit then fade into relative obscurity to become plucky minnows and beat mighty Lithuania in the 2134 European Pan Galactic cup?

If so genius and we need to know how Hodgson engineered Brexit so successfully.
 Cú Chullain 27 Jun 2016
Hodgson the only man with a clear plan to take us out of Europe
In reply to pasbury:

I don't use the dislike.
 Babika 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> I wonder if Hodgson regrets not taking Andy Carrol now?

Don't get me going!

When I saw we were starting with Kane and Sterling I had a horrible sinking feeling, given the woeful performance against Russia.
Why does Woy insist on playing his mates rather than the best line-up.

Are well, he won't be getting any more chances.

In reply to Babika:

Another one bites the dust. Roy's gone.
andymac 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
Who the Feck would want to be the England manager?

Handed a sword ( and a speech) at the final whistle.

Bet he's glad he's out of it.
Post edited at 22:14
 earlsdonwhu 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu: Corbyn to be next England manager?

Or maybe it will be a good time to bring in a Polish coach?
Lusk 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

> Its impressive to get dumped out of Europe twice in four days

That's a record that could stand for a long time!
In reply to andymac:

The Icelanders may be crowing now, but it's another week before they get their mail delivered.
 Skyfall 27 Jun 2016

> Therefore I predict an easy win for England this evening.

Tony, send me your predictions before each game and I'll have a bet against you

cb294 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Almost ashamed to display my schadenfreude, but I find the name of one of the Iceland scorers just too funny: Sigthorsson sounds exactly like Siegtorson in German, which would translate as"winninggoalson".

CB
In reply to Skyfall:

I know, I work for BET365

France will win the tournament, or maybe Wales will.
In reply to cb294:

> Almost ashamed to display my schadenfreude, but I find the name of one of the Iceland scorers just too funny: Sigthorsson sounds exactly like Siegtorson in German, which would translate as"winninggoalson".

> CB

A quick internet search gave me this:

Sigthorsson: Sig: victory, Thor: thunder, Son: son
 Michael Hood 27 Jun 2016
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

> Corbyn to be next England manager?

> Or maybe it will be a good time to bring in a Polish coach?

Nah, Ranieri for England manager.
In reply to Michael Hood:

I'd have thought Lagerback was the obvious candidate. Apart from being well-qualified, his name absolutely captures the spirit of English football.

jcm
cb294 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Sir Stefan:

Yes, this is why I said "sounds like", not "means".

In German, "Sieg" = "victory", "Tor" = "goal", "Sohn" = "son". Since we tend to stick nouns together just for fun, a winning goal is indeed called a "Siegtor".

Nothing world moving, but I found it funny....

CB
 Shani 28 Jun 2016
Good too see us 'take back control' of the Beautiful Game. I'm off to help repatriate my local Iceland superstore.

nufkin 28 Jun 2016
A couple of minutes with a blue pen and a fold or two and the England flags adorning my van are transformed to reflect my newly shifted allegiance. Go to it, Iceland

Babika 28 Jun 2016
In reply to nufkin:

I'm in a quandary - I like the Icelandic team and their supporters (as per my post higher up) but Dimitri Payet is lovely and I'd like the French to win as well.

Who to support now in the quarter finals?

Dave Garnett 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:
Easy for me, I'm half Welsh. They at least seem to have a world class player who can actually score goals and a team who are prepared to play out of their skins for the big occasion.
Post edited at 13:46
 Tony the Blade 28 Jun 2016

Me too, I'm now Welsh all the way. I remember watching Denmark win it in '92 - and they were only invited to play as Yugoslavia were disqualified - and I honestly think that Wales can emulate that.

*1992, also the year that Jack Wilshire was born
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Yep, Ive always considered myself proudly British rather than English so I have no qualms about switching my support to Wales.

In fact, as someone who considering himself European, I can switch at any time to anyone I like. I cant lose.
OP Yanis Nayu 28 Jun 2016

I'm half Welsh. I'm going for them.
 GrahamD 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I'm English and I'm 100% pro Wales now.
 Cardi 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar....

To watch Wales in the quarter finals of the Euros!
 Dave the Rave 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Cardi:

Does Iceland have a shit supermarket chain called England?
 felt 28 Jun 2016

No, but they do get their blubber from Wales.
 felt 28 Jun 2016

But seriously, they do have a great chain called Bonus, which is half the price of the others.
In reply to felt:

What does Bonus mean in Icelandic? Spar is 'save' in Norweigian.
 felt 28 Jun 2016

I guess 'extra', like us, from the Latin.

They spell it Bónus. Saved us a lot of money some years back, so we still keep the yellow plastic bag.
In reply to felt:

Think that I've been in one. I got a sheeps head from the freezer and several cans of cheap stout. Result I thought. Turned out it was non alcoholic potato stout and I ended up in some underground bar in the suburbs ? Selfoss, surrounded by gorgeous Icelandic women, listening to Green Day and drinking £5 pints! Haho. The sheeps heed was never found.
 Babika 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

Maybe I should have clarified - I meant who to support in the France v Iceland quarter final.....

Like most English I have absolutely no qualms in switching my allegiance to the other home nations whenever they're playing. I even include RoI as a sort of "brothers in arms".

So Wales it is And pretty deafening it was in the Royal Victoria, Llanberis last Saturday evening where I managed to engineer a front row seat. Fabulous atmosphere.
Lusk 03 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

If it was France - England, it would be 6 nil with half a match to go!

Sorry Wales, I'm sticking with my Germans in the final.
 Glyno 03 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

England have beaten all Euro 2016 quarter finalists within the last 8 months!

...just trivia, not that it matters.
cb294 04 Jul 2016
In reply to Glyno:

Just goes to show how serious everyone takes friendlies...

CB
 Tony the Blade 04 Jul 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Wales... can they do it?

I remember Denmark beating Germany, and more recently Greece beating Portugal. I guess it's possible, however France looked strong last night.

My prediction fwiw
Wales 2:0 Portugal
France 2:2 Germany*
Wales 1:0 Germany

*Germany win the penalty shoot-out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...