UKC

Ticks at Craig Pant Ifan - Tremadog

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SAF 10 Jun 2016
Went to Pant Ifan today, and we both came home with a little collection of Ticks each. We walked off once, and ab'd off twice, the walk off was very over grown and we suspect that is where we picked them up. It might be best to stick to abseiling off for the time being.
 Dave Williams 11 Jun 2016
In reply to SAF:
Ticks seem to be especially prevalent this summer, so this is an opportune warning. Warm weather since the end of March in North Wales appears to have encouraged parasitic ticks to emerge earlier than last year and the lack of a hard winter will have contributed as well. People who live in the countryside may have more awareness of the risks, but urban dwellers may have much less awareness and perhaps not have any at all.

Despite the recent hot weather, I haven't dared walk anywhere in shorts as our 2 dogs have picked up loads of ticks on every single recent visit to the Rhinogydd for instance. The situation will only get worse now that the bracken has taken hold. Other than trying to cover up, using repellent and checking yourself CONSTANTLY if out in a potentially high-risk environment - which is basically anywhere and everywhere with sheep and other livestock, including feral goats and tall grasses, bracken, rushes or leafy plants such as bilberry - there's little else that can be done. I constantly check my ankles, legs and feet during the day if walking around in rock shoes at a crag.

Ticks are very nasty things and the transmission of tick borne diseases is a real danger and particularly as there's a small but significant risk of contracting Lyme disease or even babesiosis from a tick bite, then it may be worth reiterating Bada UK's current advice:
- Tuck long trousers into socks and choose clothes with elastic or a drawstring at the waist, wrist and ankle
- Use an insect repellent
- Carry a tick-removal tool and antiseptic wipes
- Avoid over-hanging vegetation at the edge of paths where ticks may be waiting
- Have a "tick buddy" to help you check your body. Pay particular attention to the scalp.
Post edited at 11:25
 Babika 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Dave Williams:

Right. That's it. I'm staying indoors.
 Rich W Parker 11 Jun 2016
In reply to SAF:

Thanks for posting. On a slight aside, I counted up that I know of 26 friends that have had Lymes, mostly in the Highlands. Of those most have sought early treatment and have suffered no long term effects. Some (going back a few years) had trouble getting the right treatment and continue to suffer debilitating symptoms.

I grew up on Skye and spent a lot of time out in the sticks but never knowingly had a tick bite me. I had my first at the age of 30, which was 15 years ago and now get them on my clothing regularly.

A pretty serious situation.
 uphillnow 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Rich W Parker:

Over the English bank holiday recently I was in Scotland and was covered in ticks. Polldubh, Etive and Creagh Dubh all seem to be venues where ticks are numerous at the moment. Over the years I have picked up the odd tick but in the last decade it seems they are far more of a problem - especially in Scotland.
 ian caton 11 Jun 2016
In reply to SAF:

It used to be compulsory to dip sheep against ticks
 Bluebird 11 Jun 2016
In reply to SAF:

Goblin Combe notoriously bad but the other day it was just ridiculous; I counted and removed 7 on my hands just whilst belaying a single pitch. There was an element of "I'm being eaten alive down here!" when I asked my buddy how he was getting on with his lead!
 Andypeak 11 Jun 2016
In reply to SAF:

I took close to 100 off of my dog when I was in Snowdonia 2 weeks ago. Never known it so bad. Most of them were tiny and really hard to see.
 toad 12 Jun 2016
In reply to SAF:
I expect them in mid Wales, but even with a recently dobbed up dog, the dog picked up a tick at clumber park last weekend. I've worked a lot in sherwood, including with livestock, and I've never had a tick here before.

If there was a human equivalent of frontline for people, I'd happily don it on the back of my neck

Eta. There were hundreds of kids running around in the long grass. I wonder if the NT will have to start warning folk, because most "civilians" I know haven't a clue about ticks
Post edited at 19:47
 Stu Tyrrell 12 Jun 2016
In reply to SAF:

Silverdale/Warton area is bed as well, we get them a lot.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...