UKC

Dry Swiss Multi Pitch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ElArt 12 Jun 2016
Hello and thanks for looking. Can anyone please recommend me a preferably multi pitch crag within a couple of hours of Interlaken in Switzerland? It's wet here now but there are dry periods so I'd like a crag that stays dry or dries quick.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Billy
 IPPurewater 13 Jun 2016
In reply to ElArt:

There are a few on the way up to the Grimsel Pass. What sort of grades are you after ?
 Andy Nisbet 13 Jun 2016
In reply to ElArt:

There's a crag on the left going up towards Grimsel that dries quickly. Sorry I can't remember it's name but I climbed there in the early 90s on the recommendation of a local guide.
 Mike-W-99 13 Jun 2016
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Possibly Mittagfluh
I remember the slabs up at the dam drying fast too.
 jcw 13 Jun 2016
In reply to ElArt:

Another possibility is a multi pitch limestone cliff at Hinterberg not far from Grindelwald in a very bucolic setting facing the Oberland mountains. Up a toll track followed by a step little approach via cow pasture. But quite hard climbing.
 Andy Nisbet 13 Jun 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> Possibly Mittagfluh

Yes, that's the one!
 Rick Graham 13 Jun 2016
In reply to ElArt:

Lots of quick drying sports climbing within 5 minutes to 2 hours drive, just need to visit a climbing shop and shell out for a guide.

The hard bit is for it to stop raining

Get a forecast and see how far to drive to get better weather out of the Oberland.

Options that have worked for me are drive NE to a crag once called Gallerie ( now unhelpfully renamed ), near Basle in the Jura or through the Gotthardt Tunnel ? to a part of Switzerland that always seems to have a sunny symbol on the weather map.
 Andy Cloquet 13 Jun 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

The slabs were mobbed when I was parking-up and heading into the Bachlital to climb on the Gr. Diamonstock.
 Heike 14 Jun 2016
In reply to jcw:

Yes, that has some really nice quick drying multi pitch with fantastic views as you said!
ElArt 14 Jun 2016
In reply to IPPurewater:

Thanks I'm looking for upto 6a. Went to the Raterichtsbodensee and there's still snow on Az beach. Do the beach and the slab dry that quick??

Still raining by the way!
ElArt 14 Jun 2016
In reply to Andy Nisbet:
Thanks Andy
ElArt 14 Jun 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:

Thanks Rick I've got guides coming out of my ears and there's loads of info on the www but just wanted to ask as knowledge trumps most things. I'll look up the Gothard pass and Basel.
ElArt 14 Jun 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:
Thanks Mike
Looks like the Granite slabs are the way ahead.
ElArt 14 Jun 2016
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Looks good Andy. I'll look for Sudkante.
 IPPurewater 14 Jun 2016
In reply to ElArt:
Yes they dry quite quickly. The forecast for Interlaken and Meiringen looks poor for the next week according to yr.no though.

In contrast Finale Ligure looks ok. Perhaps a rapid trip south to or towards the Med is needed to rescue some of your holiday if you have a car. It is about 260 miles.

There must be some dry crags on the way in Italy too, but I've not climbed at any there, except Finale, so can't recommend anything.

The Schweiz Plaisir Sud guidebook has a selection of crags in Northern Italy. Finale has it's own guidebook that was available locally when I was there a long time ago.
IPP
Post edited at 20:38
ElArt 17 Jun 2016
In reply to IPPurewater:

IPP, thanks for the advice but im stuck working here in Lauterbrunnen so staying in Switzerland hopefully and your right the weather is up and down at the moment!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...