UKC

Whippets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 spodling 12 Jun 2016
Random question: be interested in hearing if anyone has a whippet and has lived in a cold climate (snowy up North ...). I am getting mixed messages about how well they could live in the mountains. Thanks.
 flopsicle 12 Jun 2016
In reply to spodling:

Have you thought about a whippet lurcher? Just a random thought....
 toad 12 Jun 2016
In reply to spodling:

A visit to the Three Stags Head is indicated.
 3leggeddog 12 Jun 2016
In reply to spodling:

Lazy, loving dogs. Mine lives in Cumbria, they need to wear a coat in the winter. These dogs will suffer any amount of comfort, the softer,and warmer the bed,chair, sofa the better.
 Anti-faff 13 Jun 2016
In reply to spodling:

I'd agree with Flopsicle on you being better off with a half cross. Collie/Whippets and Bedlington/Whippets are ace as are Bull/Whippets but they tend to get injured in rough country so probably not ideal for you.

If you set you're heart on a pure whippet then be careful letting it run on frozen ground, especially if there's anything for it to chase after as their toes break really easily. There are few sadder sights than a broken Whippet!

I've kept working running dogs of various types since I was a nipper up until about three years ago in Yorkshire and Invernesshire so I speak from experience.

Hope this helps.
 arch 13 Jun 2016
In reply to spodling:

Have a look on here. Based in Leeds I think. They may have something fitting your needs.

http://www.lurcher.org/llink/forum/viewtopic.php?t=99740&sid=91f9caec29...
Ferret 13 Jun 2016
In reply to spodling:

We had what we think was a whippet collie cross - basically a wee broon dug... whippet shape, whippet markings but more of a collie face, thicker fur and over her lifespan got steadily broader and less whippety. She was never fat but she certainly had more padding than a pure whippet. She managed bothy trips OK although did get cold and needed to sleep either in bag with an owner or sandwiched between people in sleeping bags. She was more than happy in lowland snowy walks etc and did hill walking on snowy days but she really needed to keep moving and despite wearing a coat I don't she would have been on for full on winter mountaineering and any extended delays/stoppage would be an issue as she would get cold and miserable despite all attempts to keep her warm, sitting on rucksacks etc.

I'd prob not recommend a purebred as a mountain dog.
 BrendanO 13 Jun 2016
In reply to spodling:

Whippets also very sensitive creatures, can be a bit nervous (loved ours for many years) so perhaps a lurcher, or rescue greyhound, might be slightly more relaxed (gh bigger too so will handle cold, with a coat). Boots now available for dogs I believe, but not back when I had whippet.

But if there's a reason you'd like a whippet, maybe you should do, but have occasionsl compromises...such are oartnerships in life!

Or, visit local rescue place, see what finds YOU!
 jkarran 13 Jun 2016
In reply to BrendanO:

> Or, visit local rescue place, see what finds YOU!

Bingo. Lots of dogs needing homes and plenty of them pointy types, you'll love whatever you get almost as much as it loves you. I went looking for a little whippet and came home with a huge lurcher. He's brilliant.
jk
 Sam Beaton 13 Jun 2016
In reply to spodling:

We have two whippets who are absolutely lovely. They rarely bark, are brilliant around children (the main reason we got them) and most other dogs, and love lazing in front of the fire and running with me round the local park. However, I cannot imagine a worse breed for being out in the hills with. Ours need coats for about 9 months of the year in Sheffield, they hate wet or rocky ground, cannot manage to climb stiles if they are at all damp, disappear over the horizon at the first sight of running wildlife, and pull muscles really easily on rough ground.

3leggeddog 13 Jun 2016
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Lucky you, two whippet happy.
OP spodling 17 Jun 2016
Thanks all you have been awesome sharing thoughts/experiences. Really helpful. We came up with whippet due to temperament/size and generally chilled out indoors nature - but a cross seems to be the way to go here. It is a "no rush" plan so we'll keep doing our research and talking to people and then be very patient to try and rescue our dog over next few years.

ceri 17 Jun 2016
In reply to spodling:

We used to have a 10kg whippet staffy (see profile pic!). Bit more hair and fat than a pure whippet, but when we took her up Helvellyn in the snow and other winter alks she wore her coat and a fleece underneath!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...