UKC

Bike Advice...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TClimb 15 Jun 2016
I'm looking for a bike to start getting some reasonable exercise on roads, paths and some light off-road bridleways etc. I'll also be using it to carry/pull my little lad at points. As such I am looking at a rigid frame, probably with wide tyres. However I know very little about bikes and don't want to spend more than £300. Id like to get the best I can for that money and would really appreciate and tips, advice on what to get / avoid or direction to good sales on the minute.

I know September is when the sales kick in but we have decided to get bikes now! The summer and regular exercise trumps some savings later

Thanks
Rigid Raider 15 Jun 2016
In reply to TClimb:

The best value for money can be had at Decathlon stores if you live near one. It's a one-stop shop so you can buy everything you need at ridiculous prices. You sound as if you need a flat-bar hybrid bike with a decent range of gears.

The alternative is to find a decent independent bike shop and make friends with the owner; if you know as little as you say, advice, adjustement, fitting and help will be invaluable and you won't get those at Halfrauds or Evans. Go along on a weekday for the full attention you need.
 Shapeshifter 15 Jun 2016
In reply to TClimb:

I bought my first road bike recently and the people at Evans Cycles were genuinely very helpful and not pushy.
Failing that both me and the missus have bought cheapish (less that £300) mountain bikes from Halfords in the past few years and they have been very good.

No expert but hope that helps.
 Greasy Prusiks 15 Jun 2016
In reply to TClimb:

I'd go for a hybrid bike. That's the general term for a flat handle bar, no suspension (ie rigid) bike. That will happily handle road, bike paths and light off road.

I wouldn't let someone sell you a road (that's the ones with drop handlebars) or mountain bike. The first will be uncomfortable in anything other than smooth roads and is unlikely to take a child seat, the second will be heavy to peddle around.
 CurlyStevo 15 Jun 2016
In reply to TClimb:
I love my San Rafael DS3 - I found this DS2 bargain for you!

http://www.goodbikegear.com/marin-san-rafael-ds2?gclid=CMfH-Zavqs0CFYZuGwod...

That said its all about trying one out, I didn't really want front suspension but I found the riding position much more what I was after and its nice to have on all the cobbled and pot holed roads around here!
Post edited at 16:43
 nniff 15 Jun 2016
In reply to TClimb:

Go to Decathlon. If you don't know much about bikes, buying second hand may be tricky. Decathlon is probably the best value for money around and you should get something that suits.

Contenders are probably a Triban 500 Se or Flat bar road bikes - but they'll have thinner tyres.

Alternatively a Hoprider 520 City would do the job - that's £320.

the Triban 500 flat bar version comes in at £260, which gives you enough to buy a Decathlon child seat within your budget too (£40). You'd need to check that it would fit though. It would almost certainly fit on the Hoprider, but that's now bursting the budget somewhat.
 MonkeyPuzzle 15 Jun 2016
In reply to TClimb:

Left-field suggestion, but I use a 1995 Marin mountain bike but with slick tyres for exactly what you're suggesting. It cost £1000 in 1995, but mine 3 years ago for £150. Quality steel frame that rides beautifully, so light and, although new gears and v-brakes could be fitted, the period shimano drivetrain is just going to keep on going. I picked it up through Fleabay, but Retrobike.co.uk is a great resource for bikes and parts alike.

Just chucking it out there...
 Monk 15 Jun 2016
In reply to TClimb:

The carerra hybrids from Halfords are pretty fair value at your price range. My wife has a 'subway one' to do pretty much exactly what you describe.
OP TClimb 15 Jun 2016
In reply to Monk:

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it.Any more specific models or sales greatfully received!
 Murcantile 16 Jun 2016
In reply to TClimb:

Ebay
Ebay
Ebay

Don't buy new lots of second hand bikes at much higher spec.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...