UKC

News! and where do you get it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 krikoman 15 Jun 2016
In some of my posts I refer to the NEWS, by this I mean TV NEWS either ITV, BBC or Channel 4.

While I realise there are a huge array of different news outlets and portals available, I still class the TV as being THE news.

Am I just old fashioned?
Do most people think differently?
Has the internet taken over as people's main news provider?

While I get most of my news from the internet nowadays, I still give TV reports, a large amount kudos over other options. I'm not even sure this is relevant in today's society, yet it still irks me when issues that are widely reported elsewhere go unreported on TV news.

I think I still give reverence to TV news.

While not of the tinfoil hat brigade, it does make you wonder sometimes.
 Jon Read 15 Jun 2016
In reply to krikoman:

Radio 4 news programmes for me (Today, headlines, PM and World Tonight), and some World Service.
Other than than some casual internet newspaper browsing before the adverts sent me reaching for the kill switch: Independent, Guardian, Telegraph. They're all turning to click-bait writing styles though.
Never watch TV news; find it too sensationalist, too simplistic, too UK biased, and well The Day Today did it much better.
 Monk 15 Jun 2016
In reply to krikoman:

Do they still show the news on TV?

My only news source is the Internet.

In reply to krikoman:

The man in the street. I believe he gets it from the shoe-shine boy, though I'm not sure if that's where the news comes from too.

T.
 Doug 15 Jun 2016
In reply to krikoman:

> I think I still give reverence to TV news.

Why ? Radio & particularly newspapers often go into much more detail

Dax H 15 Jun 2016
In reply to krikoman:

3 main source's for me.
The BBC news app on my phone.
Radio 2 if I happen to be driving between sites on the hour.
This forum, someone often links to a news item.
In reply to krikoman:
I get my news from several sources - radios 2, 6 & Scotland, Classic, BBC TV 6pm, Channel 4 & the BBC internet service plus some from Guardian and I always read the Redtops on the Newsstands at supermarkets for an unreality check. Although I hold the BBC services very highly I find it interesting to compare these sources especially when there is a main story they all cover - sometimes it doesn't even seem to be the same story!
 FactorXXX 16 Jun 2016
In reply to krikoman:

I get all my news on UKC as I find it's the most intelligent and researched media content available anywhere...
 DoctorYoghourt 16 Jun 2016
In reply to krikoman:

There isn't any news. Nothing has really changed since 1789.
 Ridge 16 Jun 2016
In reply to krikoman:

Radio 4 going to and from work. Local news from BBC/ITV at teatime, Either BBC or ITV news before bedtime, unless there's a documentary on tattooed Gypsy dogs having plastic surgery abroad on Channel 4. Occasionally read the Guardian online at work, but as noted upthread it's turned into clickbait with some articles descending into self-parody.

Not forgetting UKC of course.
 The New NickB 16 Jun 2016
In reply to krikoman:

I don't watch any TV news! All my news gathering is radio (mainly Radio 4) or web based. BBC and Guardian websites are usually the first port of call, but then lots of other sources if I am interested in the story. Lots of links through UKC, Facebook and Twitter.
OP krikoman 16 Jun 2016
In reply to krikoman:

Thanks for the replies.

Another question comes to mind though.

How would you rank the television news in relation to importance for you and then for the majority of the population. In terns of how important a subject is.

It may sound a bit conceited but I'm pretty jaded on TV news, yet think it's very important for the general public, or it may be just the issues I'm interested in.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...