UKC

Sardinia advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 drgrange 16 Jun 2016
I'm off on a 'romantic weekend' with my wife at the end of September and need some pointers on where to stay etc. Obviously labelling it a 'romantic weekend' is a thin disguise. She knows there's climbing and is up for doing a couple of routes only, any more might be pushing it! Something in the 6a/ 6b range with a short approach would be ace (no multi-pitch). So it's really more chilling with the wife than climbing, but I'm sure getting both in the same ares isn't asking too much? Thanks in advance to any Sardinia experts willing to share what they know
 Owen W-G 16 Jun 2016
In reply to drgrange:

Good area to go would be Cala Gonone on E Coast. Nice beaches and loads of climbing. There's a couple of great slabs your GF would enjoy with loads of holiday routes in 5s and 6s. Also some great beaches you get to by a boat daytrip, crag on a secluded beach, how romantic!

I've got a climbing guide to area as PDF, email me and I'll send it over.
OP drgrange 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Owen W-G:

Perfect! Thank you. I'll email you now...
 Dave Cundy 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Owen W-G:

I'd second that. There's a nice slabby crag a short walk above the town. The beaches are fabulous. Take the boat trip that visits several over the course of a day. Or go to the SW corner, to Portoscuso (i think) and go for dinner at La Ghingetta, the best restuarant meal i've ever had. The beaches on that side of the island aren't quite so good though, it catches a bit more wind than the east side.
 jon_gill1 16 Jun 2016
In reply to drgrange:

Cala ganone is the place to be, you can drive or walk a couple of k down the road to cala fuilli (vant remember spelling) which has some routes in the right grade right off the beach.the stuff on the right looking out is hellishly polished but on left is fine.

Also a drive up the hill to buchiata (wrong spelling) is only two minute walking with loads of really good 6a's and 6b's in a stunning setting under an old olive tree and nicely secluded!well worth a look and should be a lot quieter than the beach!

Feel free to message me for more info on it!

Cheers

Jon
 tjekel 17 Jun 2016
In reply to jon_gill1:

very much depends where you are flying to. if your flight goes to cagliari, castello del iride and the domusnovas area are fine ... the first being above nice beaches as well.
OP drgrange 20 Jun 2016
In reply to jon_gill1:

Thanks all. Much appreciated
 Toerag 21 Jun 2016
In reply to drgrange:

I spent my honeymoon there doing something of an island road trip. Where are you flying to and, will you have a car? On the plus side, the sea will be lovely and warm for 'chilling'.
 scruffs 21 Jun 2016
In reply to drgrange:

Aquamarine sea, perfect beaches, boat trips n watersports, fabulous walking, bars & restaurants galore and, oh yes, the odd bit of climbing - what's not to like about Cala Gonone? Short or almost nil approaches to Cala Fuili, La Poltrona, uphill to Margheddie and Serendippo or a boat trip to Cala Luna? Swimming under the caves at Cala Mariolu is unforgettable.
Bue Marino Hotel and Hotel Cala Luna are both good - we also stayed here a few times www.holidaylettings.co.uk/14596
Enjoy!
 Stairclimber 25 Jun 2016
In reply to drgrange:

Here's another vote for Cala Gnone. Hire an inflatable power boat for the day. You can of course do some climbing off the beach , but your girlfriend will be more impressed to be taken to some of the other beautiful beaches that you can only access by boat. Have a great weekend. I assume you are hiring a car. Be aware that some automatic fuel pumps only accept French credit cards and serviced garages may well be closed depending on what time you get back to the airport area. I solved this problem by giving cash to a local who used his credit card for me. Stuff like this seems to happen when you are in a rush.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...