UKC

INTERVIEW: Alex Honnold in the UK - Grit & Great British Weather

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 17 Jun 2016
Alex Honnold on his recent visit to the UK, 3 kbUnless you somehow managed to avoid the excitement and social media frenzy, you'll know that Alex Honnold was recently in the UK. We knew a bit about what he got up to - a solo of The Complete Scream E8 6c, a flash of The Dark Side E8 6c - both at Fair Head, Northern Ireland, as well as soloing some easier classics on the Cromlech: Left Wall, Right wall, Memory Lane and down-climbed cenotaph corner and cemetery gates, before roping up on Lord of the Flies.

But what did Alex think of the UK and of his experience as a whole? I asked Alex some questions about his solo exploits, the gritstone and of course, about his thoughts on our Great British weather...

Read more
 Shani 17 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC News:

There's a quote!

"I think my favourite route might be Harder Faster,...I think it’s a super proud line though. It was too scary to climb."
 Mark Collins 17 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Great article thanks. Can't believe he never made it to Scotland, oops! Lovely story about Archie.
In reply to UKC News:

Oh no some one noticed are system if climbing is bonkers. Lucky he was too polite to mention it. Oh wait....
 CurlyStevo 17 Jun 2016
In reply to Mark Collins:
Seeing as much of Scotland has had amazing weather for the last month (bar the last week) it was strange he didn't venture north of the border!

I can't see the weather at fairhead or snowdonia in general being significantly better than much of scotland but there you go!
Post edited at 14:24
J1234 17 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC News:

I found this interview with Alex interesting though it does demand more than the attention span of a goldfish http://fourhourworkweek.com/2016/05/17/alex-honnold/ sorry if it has been posted on here before.
 trys 17 Jun 2016
In reply to Lenin:

Honolds perfect space dump!

https://overcast.fm/+BmGXMYPGA/29:01
 Coel Hellier 17 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> Seeing as much of Scotland has had amazing weather for the last month ...

The fact that such weather is "amazing" makes the point.
 CurlyStevo 17 Jun 2016
In reply to Coel Hellier:
what point? the variation in weather in the UK is mostly east to west and height / shape of land based not north to south (bar it being it being a little colder).

Its just as unusual for it to be warm and sunny for month in Snowdonia / the lakes as west coast Scottish highlands.
Post edited at 15:21
 Coel Hellier 17 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> what point?

Well, if such weather were normal, then it wouldn't be "amazing". I doubt that Californians are amazed at having lots of sun.
 steveb2006 17 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC News:

As welll as soloing up Flying Buttress Direct it was also his descent route
 Michael Hood 17 Jun 2016
In reply to steveb2006: That's just lazy
 Timmd 18 Jun 2016
In reply to steveb2006:
Down the overhang too?

As somebody who grew up climbing on gritstone it somehow makes me feel good that he liked climbing on it.
Post edited at 02:38
 Brendan 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Lenin:

His interview on Niall Grimes' Jam Crack Podcast is really good too.
 Dr Toph 19 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Is is just me, or should someone blind-date Honold with Julian Lines and let them loose on a solo-off across Scotland?
 Michael Gordon 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Dr Toph:

Don't know, you'd think he might like a look at Hold Fast, Hold True though

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...