UKC

Am I a mean person?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Babika 18 Jun 2016
I've just watched Ronaldo miss a penalty and then have a goal disallowed.

Oh joy!

The bliss of seeing that arrogant twit looking really crestfallen makes me think I must have a nasty streak.

It could be schadenfreude but he's Portugese so I guess not.
 Wainers44 18 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

> I've just watched Ronaldo miss a penalty and then have a goal disallowed.

> Oh joy!

> The bliss of seeing that arrogant twit looking really crestfallen makes me think I must have a nasty streak.

> It could be schadenfreude but he's Portugese so I guess not.

For someone with so much talent he has so little class...
Gone for good 18 Jun 2016
In reply to Wainers44:

He's got class when playing for Real Madrid but strangely it goes missing when he plays for Portugal. If they don't win against Hungary they are out.
 Escher 18 Jun 2016
In reply to Gone for good:

The smirk on Alan Shearer's face was something to behold. He just couldn't hold his glee in! It's not just you.
 Wainers44 18 Jun 2016

> He's got class when playing for Real Madrid but strangely it goes missing when he plays for Portugal. If they don't win against Hungary they are out.

Nah, his skill and talent shine out when you are privileged to see him play.... His lack of class shows whenever he loses.
OP Babika 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Escher:

Thanks. I feel better now

But I think Mr Shearer is a bit of a meany anyway. My son once wrote a poem about him (they had to write about a famous person) and it got published in a small anthology. We sent him a copy and asked him if he could autograph it - he just sent a standard autograph on a sheet of paper back. Tad mean I thought.
 Indy 19 Jun 2016
> If they don't win against Hungary they are out.

If they don't win against Hungry they DESERVE to be out!
Post edited at 11:11
Gone for good 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

It's strange isn't it that the 2 of the best players ever to have graced the game will probably never win the world cup. Messi has one last chance in Russia in 2 years and Portugal, well, just not good enough.

Jim C 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

'His people' probably thought it would set a precedent that they might not want .

I doubt he even got to see the poem .
 Rick Graham 19 Jun 2016

> It's strange isn't it that the 2 of the best players ever to have graced the game will probably never win the world cup. Messi has one last chance in Russia in 2 years and Portugal, well, just not good enough.

That is because football is a team sport.

It helps having exceptional players but only if they work as a team. Nobody is that good to win it on their own.

BTW, I am not watching the tournament, but by chance managed to see R miss the penalty, nice
Donald82 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

You think it's okay for Farage to go on about migrants having aids and refugees in cologne. So, yes, you probably you are a mean person.
OP Babika 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Donald82:

Eh?

I think you have the wrong person matey...get back under your bridge and learn some manners!
 Morty 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:
Well I've just asked a selection of people and, on average, they agreed with you, so yes - very mean.
Post edited at 20:47
 Dave the Rave 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

Nope you're fine. He's just a spoiled tool. If he can't hit the net from twelve yards then he deserves your scorn.
OP Babika 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Is your disliker Portuguese or Donald82 I wonder
 Dave the Rave 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

> Is your disliker Portuguese or Donald82 I wonder

Couldn't give a monkeys!
Donald82 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

You refused to condem Farage bringing migrants aids andf the cologne assaults into the brexit debate, and similar dog whistle polticis from the brexit capaign. If you won't condem it, you tacitly condone it. Feel free to condem it now...
Donald82 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

Nope, wasn't me. I share your and Dave's enjoyment of Ronaldo being a bit sh!t.
 gavmac 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

I'm with you. Very few things, in a football sense, bring me greater joy than seeing that whiny, spoilt, arrogant tw*t fail. I can feel myself getting in a rage just thinking about him.
 Nevis-the-cat 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Donald82:

> You refused to condem Farage bringing migrants aids andf the cologne assaults into the brexit debate, and similar dog whistle polticis from the brexit capaign. If you won't condem it, you tacitly condone it. Feel free to condem it now...

He did nothing of the sort. He didn't understand your argument.

I'm staunch Remain, but i didn't read that into Babika's posts.
Donald82 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

This was on another thread.
 Nevis-the-cat 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Donald82:

I know - I didn't agree with him, but I didn't see it a condoning Farage (or refusing to)
 galpinos 20 Jun 2016

Is Babika not a woman?
Donald82 20 Jun 2016
I've suggested she condem it a few times. She hasn't. That's refusing to condem it and is pretty much as bad as condoning it. I don't think that's on at all, but particualrly so given the events of the last week.

I am angry about the tabloid press, the leave campaign, the tories. Week after week they spout rubbish about migrants to further their political ends. You can never say anyone incident happened because of this, but it must have an effect - as someone said somewhere elese, pour in enough position and eventually someone gets sick.

If people on your side of the debate are doing horrible things, then you should stand up and say so. Not condon it.

(The general 'you', not actually you)
Post edited at 12:40
 Tony the Blade 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Donald82:

Hi Donald, this thread is about a different angle on the Euro front, this is football not politics. Could I suggest that you start a different thread with EU, Brexit or Remain in the title, you may just be the first on UKC to start such a thread.

Thanks
Donald82 20 Jun 2016

In reply to Tony

I'm sure babika in her dealings with people - friends family etc. - is a nice person. But at the same time she condons the horrible, horrible demonisatuon of the less fortunate. I think posting here, where she jokes about the possibility of her being mean, highlights the contrast between the two and how people justify horrible behaviour when they're not close to it.
Post edited at 13:12
 tony 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Donald82:

> In reply to Tony

> I'm sure babika in her dealings with people - friends family etc. - is a nice person. But at the same time she condons the horrible, horrible demonisatuon of the less fortunate.

Ronaldo, less fortunate? Surely some mistake?
Donald82 20 Jun 2016
In reply to tony:

Touché.

She thinks it's okay to demonise migrants. For example, as aids ridden rapists. That's not okay and, I think, worth interrupting a nice little joke about Ronaldo for.
 tony 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Donald82:

> Touché.

> She thinks it's okay to demonise migrants. For example, as aids ridden rapists. That's not okay and, I think, worth interrupting a nice little joke about Ronaldo for.

You're dribbling, as per usual.
Donald82 20 Jun 2016
In reply to tony:

Do you think that's okay?
Clauso 20 Jun 2016
In reply to tony:

> You're dribbling, as per usual.

To be fair, it did start off as a football thread after all?
 tony 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Donald82:

> Do you think that's okay?

Do I think what's okay? Dribbling? An essential part of any decent winger's skill set, I would have thought.
Donald82 20 Jun 2016
In reply to tony:

Okay. I'll take it that you do think it's okay, or at least not worth bothering about. Pretty shameful.
 tony 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Donald82:

> Okay. I'll take it that you do think it's okay,

What's okay, or not okay? Thinking Ronaldo's a tw*t? I'm not sure there are too many dissenting voices on that one. Immensely talented, sure, but a bit of a tw*t nonetheless.

Still, at least Portugal are at the Euros.
Donald82 20 Jun 2016
In reply to tony:

It's not okay to demonise migrants for your political ends.
 tony 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Donald82:

> It's not okay to demonise migrants for your political ends.

No, certainly not. Hurrah, we're agreed. It's so much easier when you actually explain yourself.

Meanwhile. Ronaldo - tw*t or not?
Donald82 20 Jun 2016
In reply to tony:

Good. If but other's could bring themselves to say that.

Ronnie's most definitely a tw*t. Truly exceptional footballer, though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...