UKC

Spelling of Wallow/Wallabarrow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 19 Jun 2016

I'm wondering if anyone can clarify this? OS map and F&R guidebooks both go for Wallowbarrow, while the farm which provides the car park calls itself Wallabarrow (disagreeing with OS map). UKC search doesn't recognise Wallabarrow. Personally, I have a preference for Walla, as it sounds more Cumbrian somehow, and trips off the tongue better. There is also a Walla Crag in Borrowdale, and I suspect the word has some descriptive meaning in Cumbrian dialect, but a brief internet search didn't reveal anything.
Post edited at 15:56
 LGraham 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

"The barrow or grave-mound of Walh or Walo"
https://archive.org/stream/cu31924028028458#page/n167/mode/2up
 Martin Bennett 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I'm with you on the Cumbrian Rog. But let's go the whole hog and campaign for it to be re-named Wallabarra, then our West Cumbrian chums, when asked "What crag you going to today, mate?" will reply "Wallabarra marra"!
In reply to Rog Wilko:
Most Cumbrian place names are pronounced differently to the spelling.
 radddogg 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Maybe the farmer can't spell.
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

Let's see who can pronounce Torpenow or Calthwaite so that a local could give you directions to find them.

I'll let you guess what one applicant from Mirehouse in Whitehaven wrote as his address on a job application form - it took me a couple of minutes to figure out that the phonetic spelling of the local dialect was correct.

Going further afield, there's always Ulgham in Northumberland to get your linguistic brains around.
 The New NickB 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I wonder where the dialect phrasing of the name actually comes from, Cumbria of course being a relatively modern invention. The crag is traditionally in Cumberland I believe, but yards from the boundary with Lanashire and the nearest settlement is in Lancashire. So does it come from the Furness Lanastrians or their Cumberland cousins.
OP Rog Wilko 20 Jun 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

Did accents and dialect take account of county boundaries? ;oD
In reply to Rog Wilko:
Good point Roger, anecdotally, accent and dialect seem to have an east-west spread in my experience - i.e. similarities between Cumberland, Westmorland, Wensleydale/Dales.
Bigger differences north-south direction.
Sek-as-like.
DC
 The New NickB 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Of course they do
 Rick Graham 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

As we say ( on both sides ) nowt good ever come overt Raise.

I've been over today and kept the van doors locked
In reply to Rick Graham:
You are a gentleman!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...