UKC

State of Roaches.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Peakpdr 19 Jun 2016
Went today (first time in a while) what a absolute crap hole it's turning into. Dog crap, human crap, rubbish, disposable bbqs,foul mouthed school groups, kids looking at nicking climbing kit, explicit drawings scrapped on top of boulders (same school group) the place is getting worse than Black Rocks.

planetmarshall 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Peakpdr:

> ...explicit drawings scrapped on top of boulders (same school group)...

If you know the school responsible, it would be more productive to complain to them directly than start a forum post here.
OP Peakpdr 19 Jun 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

I don't know the school responsible, they didn't have there uniforms on.. Lol..
 Babika 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Peakpdr:

Sounds terrible!
Which area was all this on?

In reply to Peakpdr:

This sort of thing makes me start to hate all the rest if humanity.

I've got to work on that.
OP Peakpdr 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

Most of the mess was on the lower section, near the 3 pocket slab and greener trav.. Went to do greener trav and some scruffy c#nt crapped there.. That did it.. Went home after that..
OP Peakpdr 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Just Another Dave:

Narrrr mate.. I'm not a people person either , I try but when you go to such beautiful areas and see them being slowly destroyed by people it's not easy

abseil 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Peakpdr:

> Went today (first time in a while) what a absolute crap hole it's turning into....

Very sad, thanks for posting. Can't say I'm totally surprised, though. What to do? Off to the Orkneys or Cape Wrath, I suppose......
 bonebag 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Peakpdr:

I work at the Roaches with groups and climb there myself regularly. It is one of my local crags. I also do voluntary work there too. I don't share your view. It's not the crap whole you describe by any means and suggest it's no worse than anywhere else.

Yes, dog crap is bad and human crap is worse. I think in 20 years I have seen the later about twice while working at the Roaches. Likewise rubbish including disposable bbq's is bad. No harm in taking it away yourself even if it's not yours. That's exactly what we do as volunteers if needs be.

Any group I have worked there with have always been with responsible teachers/staff and we always ensure they leave as found and nothing is left behind. Can't say I have worked there with a particularly obnoxious group ever. Sometimes language is less than to be desired but that is all and then they respond to requests to tone it down.

As for explicit drawings yes I agree entirely. No way should that happen. But that would never be toerated with a group I work with as myself, other instructors or teachers/staff would be there immediately to stop it and would never allow such behaviour. It would be noticed before the damage was done. So don't necessarily put the blame for that on school groups.

As you say school groups don't come in uniform but it is easy enough to find the bus or minibus they arrive on which often has the school name or bus company name on it so it wouldn't be so difficult to make a complaint if you see something you don't like. In addition to that approach the instructors, teachers/staff in control of the group and let them know what you have seen. I for one would be receptive and listen to your concerns as would any other instructors I work with. Often as instructors we have the logo of the company we are working for on us so again that is another means by which to identify us/the group.

It's not in our interests as leaders/instructors to have disreputable groups on our hands so we take every care to respect the environment we work in and other users either groups or members of the public including other climbers.

It sounds to me like you had a particularly bad day and I would suggest you don't turn your back on the Roaches and return another day to be reminded what a great place it is and use it respectfully yourself.
 JR 20 Jun 2016
In reply to abseil:

Then again, I had to pick up an empty tenants can on Hoy yesterday... :/
 timjones 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Peakpdr:

> I don't know the school responsible, they didn't have there uniforms on.. Lol..

Didn't you consider approaching the staff to raise your concerns?
 Dave Garnett 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Peakpdr:

I know what you mean and at this time of year I've occasionally got pretty steamed up myself by the disposable barbecues and broken bottles. However, this isn't the normal state of affairs and school groups are far from the worst offenders. Lots of volunteers and local activists make a point of keeping the place tidy. At least litter left below the lower tier is easier to clear up than when it's thrown off the top onto the ledges.

Obviously it does get busy during the summer but there are plenty of places within 15 minutes' walk that I can pretty much guarantee you would have to yourself.
 Mike Highbury 20 Jun 2016
In reply to JR:
> Then again, I had to pick up an empty tenants can on Hoy yesterday... :/

But if you can't clean up after yourself how can you expect others to behave decently.
 tonanf 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Peakpdr:

I went to the roaches a couple of weeks ago. We picked up about 5 beer cans, and took away, but drew the line at collecting dog owners disgusting bags of dog sit that they leave about, those dog bags are a licence to bag and drop for some people.
There was quite a bit of rubbish about.
Mostly on lower tier and approach?
 Pina 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Peakpdr:

Sounds like dumby.
 broken spectre 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Peakpdr:

Was up there today and can report there was human excrement and a discarded beer can very close to the road (the can was on the wall by the start of the main footpath, the turd was twenty yards away behind the dry stone wall). Once away from the road though, it was really lovely (and clean). It is upsetting that folk feel it's OK to foul the countryside like this.
 Mattilda 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Peakpdr:
Is it possible to organise a litter pick and maybe carry out any conservation work or path repair (if required) at the same time?

I'm not condoning the behaviour, but would organising something like this and publicising it perhaps help to reinforce the right way to treat the countryside and be a really positive thing to do?

I think the place is owned by the National Park, perhaps contact them and the BMC as a starting point?

If there is a BBQ involved at the end, more than happy to come along and help................
Post edited at 10:54
In reply to Mattilda:

Wash your hands first...
 krikoman 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Mattilda:

> If there is a BBQ involved at the end, more than happy to come along and help................

And don't forget to take it home afterwards.
 Pewtle 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Peakpdr:

I was there at the weekend, and it was absolutely rammed. Saw a fair bit of litter too, which is a damn shame. I'd be up for a organised tidy up along with some bbq and a warm pint!

How do these things tend to get organised?

rurp 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Peakpdr:

Yeah it was a bit shite today. Not been for a few years but doesn't look like the routes get enough traffic, green slime and vegetation even on the 3* stuff. In contrast the boulders look battered by a combination of lots of rubbish and erosion with mad amounts of chalk and polish.
Could have done with some weed killer.

Back to eastern grit.

Mattilda 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Peakpdr:

I've emailed the BMC access rep for the area and will keep you informed about their reply.

OP Peakpdr 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Mattilda:

Would be up for a cleanup day.. Might try to get hold of some signs.. Take litter / stop shitting everywhere..
 Mattilda 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Peakpdr:

Apparently end of July sometime is planned.

paul mitchell 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Peakpdr:

There is a cafe below Hen Cloud,with toilets.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...