UKC

Calf strain and climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tinkadventures 20 Jun 2016
After some advice - I strained my soleus calf muscle 2 weeks ago and while recover is going well I know it's going to be a while before I'm running again as running upstairs is a big no.

I've been getting regular physio and stretching- and while I've been advised not to run my physio isn't a climber so hasn't advised how long I need to avoid climbing. Any advice would be appreciated. Should I also be thinking of cancelling an alpine trip late July?

I know everyone heal different but advice still appreciated.
 Andy Hemsted 20 Jun 2016
In reply to tinkadventures:

I had a number of calf strains a few years ago while terrain running ... on each occasion it took about six weeks to get back gradually to full speed. A podiatrist then spotted that my calf muscles were tighter than they should have been, and daily stretching solved the problem.

I got back to climbing more quickly ... you'll certainly be OK for late July if you avoid a recurrence.

The injuries came when I had increased my climbing, and I thought that all the 'standing on toes' may have caused the muscle-tightening.
 rogerwebb 20 Jun 2016

Pulled calf badly January 6, stretcher evacuation, climbing at the end of February including a trip to knoydart.
As long as you do the physio you should be fine for the alps.
 Mark Collins 20 Jun 2016

I strained my calf by putting my foot down a hole while descending from Shining Clough a couple of years back. Although initially painful and debilitating enough for me to take a trip to A&E, it soon improved. Glad I didn't use crutches. You can look at my profile and logbook for details of age versus frequency and standard of climbing. I was back rock climbing in a couple of weeks, but I didn't have an Alps trip to attend in the near future and don't run. Hope that helps and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
In reply to Andy Hemsted:
Thanks for that. I'll stay off my toes!
In reply to Mark Collins:

Thanks - I think I'll avoid running for a long time! I'll try and give climbin a go soon but not push it too hard. Would rather go to the Alps and manage to climb there. Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...