UKC

Savage Slit etc. approach snow conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fuzzysheep01 20 Jun 2016
Anybody been up into Lochain lately? Any comment on the approach to SS or the other rock routes on that buttress?

Cheers,
Joe
 pass and peak 21 Jun 2016
In reply to fuzzysheep01:

Got a look from a distance last Tuesday and the bottom of the Gulleys and approaches to base of route still looked snowed up, might have changed a bit but at the time was enough for us to decide to go elsewhere. Still you can Abb down Savage slit to get to the routes around there so might be worth another look.
 Jamie B 21 Jun 2016
In reply to pass and peak:

The ab from the top of Savage Slit/Fallout Corner's main pitches is a nice clean drop, but I'm not sure that abbing the loose exit to reach that would be as pleasant. Not heard of anyone doing that.
 Andy Nisbet 21 Jun 2016

I think you'll be fine approaching from below. If you want to play safe, take one ice axe and cut steps if there's any snow. Then leave it at the bottom of the route and abb back down (not down the chimney, as the ropes will get stuck, down Fall-out Corner and Prore from the same abb point).
 Michael Gordon 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Jamie B:

> The ab from the top of Savage Slit/Fallout Corner's main pitches is a nice clean drop, but I'm not sure that abbing the loose exit to reach that would be as pleasant. Not heard of anyone doing that.

+1
 CurlyStevo 21 Jun 2016

Bare in mind it feels cold in that corrie when it's snow free and it's a hot summers day at sea level!
 Babika 21 Jun 2016

Blimey.

Mid June and there's a discussion about cutting steps with an axe to get to the base of a route..
 Andy Nisbet 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

> Mid June and there's a discussion about cutting steps with an axe to get to the base of a route..

August 1985 I cut steps to get to the bottom of Nocando Crack.
 CurlyStevo 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

Last year people were still ticking grade V ice routes in June!
 Jamie B 21 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> Last year people were still ticking grade V ice routes in June!

Who/what was that? I used axe and crampons at the top of Tower Ridge on 12th June but didn't realise there was ice climbed that late.
 CurlyStevo 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Jamie B:
OK I can't remember the exact source now (and perhaps I remembered wrong) but looking at ukc logs

Tower Scoop (III) got lead on the 8th June 2015
Indicator Wall (V) on 23rd May

I guess you recall the weather last May and June, it was mostly high pressure and unusually cold for the time of year.

More info (which may have been from where I perhaps incorrectly assumed a grade V had been lead in June last year?)

http://www.mountainmotion.co.uk/blog/winter-mountaineering-ben-nevis-june/
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=616734&v=1#x8062952
Post edited at 18:20
 Andy Nisbet 21 Jun 2016

I saw Coire an Lochain today but from the A9. It looked like you could get to the altitude of Savage Slit without being on snow but you'd have about 50ft to cross to the start of the route (much as I expected).
OP fuzzysheep01 21 Jun 2016
In reply to all:

Thanks for all the comments folks, great help.
 ModerateMatt 26 Jun 2016

If you have not been yet, we were there today and no snow is blocking the approach path but it is pretty boggy at the moment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...