UKC

Has anyone switched sides?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JuneBob 20 Jun 2016
I'm sure there's a fair few on the fence regarding the EU referendum, but has anyone switched from being strongly in favour of one side to the other, and if so, why?

For those who could still be persuaded to vote remain, I found this an interesting video:

youtube.com/watch?v=USTypBKEd8Y&

Having said all that, there's plenty of research that shows the more you try to convince someone to change opinion the stronger they resist it, so I'd be surprised if there's many who have switched sides.
In reply to JuneBob:

Baroness Warsi, today, is quite a spectacular example.
abseil 20 Jun 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

> ....but has anyone switched....

Yes. I've gone from not giving a ****** to not giving a ****.
 andy 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Baroness Warsi, today, is quite a spectacular example.

However the Brexit lot said they never actually realised she was one of their supporters. She strikes me as a bit of a self-publicist who'd do anything to get in the paper.
 alan moore 20 Jun 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

> research that shows the more you try to convince someone to change opinion the stronger they resist it,

...Nobody likes a turncoat.

In reply to andy:

Second point first: yes, she strikes me in the same way as she does you, very keen on publicising herself. But re. first point, the Brexiters are being quite absurd with this claim because her support for Brexit was being much trumpeted about a week or two ago.
 Trangia 20 Jun 2016
In reply to alan moore:

> ...Nobody likes a turncoat.

Lots of historical precedents.

Churchill didn't do too badly from crossing the floor.
 andy 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Hadn't heard much from her, so I guess I assumed that as a bit of a gobshite I would've!

I think they'll regret allowing Farage to have so much influence - I was never going to vote leave, but I suspect his increasing xenophobia will have put a lot of people off.
 elsewhere 20 Jun 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

/ Has anyone switched sides?

Yes. I'm looking to become Welsh.
 Ridge 20 Jun 2016
In reply to JuneBob:
I've switched from remain as it's the safe option and better in the short term, ( got my pension to think about in 10 years), to leave as the UK may well be better off in 50 years time when mainland Europe probably goes up in flames, to a plague on both your houses. I'll be dead in 30 odd years time and have no kids, so not my problem.
Post edited at 21:51
 mav 21 Jun 2016
In reply to andy:

However Sarah Wollaston, unlike Warsi both an elected politician and fairly vocal Leave supporter, did switch sides due to the lies being told by Leave. Which is a bit like switching from Liverpool to man U as you don't like teams that play in red. Both sides have being trying to outdo the other when it comes to porkies, IMHO. As a political campaign, it has been truly abhorrently poor.

I have switched sides several times, though I've never been strongly on either side, but rather than a floating voter. I'm Remaining today (Tuesday), so tomorrow looks like a Leave day, then back to Remain on the day I cast my vote. Well, maybe it's not been as frequent as that, but on each occasion I've been able to identify a reason for switching, it has been very much a case of driven from one team by their efforts to persuade me. Osborne's budget pledge pushed me to Leave, Farage's horrific poster stunt knocked me back to Remain. Farage is probably the reason I'll stay that way.

It's been an interesting experience, as I've never been a floating voter before. I do wonder if this is how floating voters feel every election.
In reply to JuneBob:

People rarely change their minds in examples like the EU referendum/Scottish referendum. One way to try and influence them though is to convince them other people are changing their minds. With lots of polls of small select groups dressed up as the mood of a whole nation......
 Neil Williams 21 Jun 2016
In reply to alan moore:

> ...Nobody likes a turncoat.

Which is stupid, as politicians doggedly sticking to a given view in the presence of lots of contrary evidence cause no end of trouble.
 Shani 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Neil Williams:

I like this comment: "When the facts change, I change. What do you do Sir?"
 marsbar 21 Jun 2016
In reply to elsewhere:

I'm hoping to be adopted as Sottish if we leave.
 knthrak1982 21 Jun 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

Yes, but not recently (from out to in about 18 months ago). I liked some bits of the EU; free trade including freedom of movement for example. Opposed it on the usual democracy argument.

> Having said all that, there's plenty of research that shows the more you try to convince someone to change opinion the stronger they resist it,

I would say this applied to me. Being a eurosceptic and constantly being told that euroscepics are all swivel eyed daily mail reading racist little Englanders just made me more angry at the europhile media and politicians, given that I liked the immigration bit.

It was certainly not any campaigner or politician that got me to change my mind, more a realisation that there wasn't any particular EU law or policy that affected me in a negative way - immigration being the only obvious one that has any noticeable effect.
 deepsoup 21 Jun 2016
In reply to mav:

> Both sides have being trying to outdo the other when it comes to porkies, IMHO. As a political campaign, it has been truly abhorrently poor.

Extremely poor. Both sides *have* been telling porkies, but it does seem to me that the porkies on the one side have been orders of magnitude more outrageous than the porkies on the other.

Out of interest, did you watch the video in the OP? (This one: youtube.com/watch?v=USTypBKEd8Y& ) Were you persuaded by that at all? It strikes me as extremely persuasive, but then my mind is already definitely made up so maybe I'm biased.
In reply to Sir Chasm: That's great

28% of all voters believe the result will be rigged! "almost a third told the pollsters they believe that "MI5 is working with the government to try and stop Britain leaving the EU". Brilliant!

(sample size 1685 adults , read by and possibly influencing many multiples of that number)

So back to the point. As has been seen on this very website, not many change their mind. No matter how ridiculous the claims, people get more entrenched in their views. So what's the strategy? Pretend other people are changing their mind. A poll doesn't show why someone votes a way, or if they have changed their mind. It just shows a consensus view. No outrageous statements about doomsday this or that, just a pie chart. And studies have shown that a "wisdom of crowds" does influence undecideds and possibly draws others across the rubicon.

Anyway, good link thx for the laugh

In reply to Shani:

I think Keynes would be struggling for "facts" just like the rest of us
 Scarab9 21 Jun 2016
In reply to mav:

have you thought of voting based on the bits that are truth rather than the lies and exaggeration?!
 stubbed 21 Jun 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

Yes. My husband switched, thank god. Mainly after my persuasion and my handing him his postal vote form to sign after I'd completed it for him. But then we are married so we can have some reasonable debate about these things
In reply to stubbed:

"handing him his postal vote form to sign after I'd completed it for him."

gotta love postal votes...so hard to fiddle

UKB Shark 21 Jun 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

> I'm sure there's a fair few on the fence regarding the EU referendum, but has anyone switched from being strongly in favour of one side to the other, and if so, why?

I've changed from being mildly in favour of leaving to mildly in favour of remaining
 felt 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Shani:

> I like this comment: "When the facts change, I change. What do you do Sir?"

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."
 Shani 21 Jun 2016
In reply to felt:

Nice.
 The New NickB 21 Jun 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

I'm considering switching to UKB, has it got less referendum chatter?
 The New NickB 21 Jun 2016
In reply to felt:

> "Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."

Marx?
 krikoman 22 Jun 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

I've changed from mildly out to better off in.

My sister and BiL have changed from defo out and possibly out, to both in.
 krikoman 22 Jun 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

> Marx?

Groucho
 The New NickB 22 Jun 2016
In reply to krikoman:

> Groucho

Yes, my attempt at a joke!
In reply to krikoman:

> I've changed from mildly out to better off in.

> My sister and BiL have changed from defo out and possibly out, to both in.

Mine have done the exact opposite.
 krikoman 22 Jun 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

> Yes, my attempt at a joke!

And mine too Sorry
 mav 22 Jun 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

I've not watched, no. Partly because I've only looked at this thread in my lunch hour, and that link is to a website barred here!
 mav 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

That is what I intend to do - or at least my interpretation of what the truths are, and the weightings I apply to the type of truths they are. My responses to the more extreme lies tend to be visceral, but short lived, so as long as I don't see any of them on the way to the polling station, I should be ok.

WaterMonkey 22 Jun 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

Yep I have. Having done my own research of the facts for both Remain and Leave it soon becomes very apparent we are better off remaining. I can literally find no valid argument for leaving yet a few months ago I was all for leaving, believing the hype I stumbled across on facebook!
My bad.
But I got there in the end
 jkarran 22 Jun 2016
In reply to JuneBob:

I've not, I'm as resolute as ever (IN, obviously) but it's been interesting to look into some of the frequently myths people (myself included in some cases) just accepted as probably close enough to reality to pass for fact. Some are, some aren't!
jk
 krikoman 22 Jun 2016
In reply to elsewhere:

> / Has anyone switched sides?

> Yes. I'm looking to become Welsh.

there's lovely
 stubbed 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

It's not a fiddle, I'm like his secretary. I do his tax return too. Is that ok?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...