UKC

Paid for adverts consisting of full page letters in newspapers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
m0unt41n 21 Jun 2016

It always amazes me that full page adverts in the newspapers consisting of letters from companies promoting a political or other cause are usually a complete page full and end up being almost unreadable. Instead of a short pithy statement you get 6 or more paragraphs.

I guess the writer or more likely the committee worried that with one opportunity they wanted to cover everything. And no one had the guts to tell them that more is less and less is more.

The Times today has a 6 paragraph waffle from Richard Branson, a page from "our French friends" that could be cut in half and a classic full page ad from Nick Sarris that might as well be the dummy text you get in page layout designs. I will skip over the half page ad for Jesus Brexits.
 Big Ger 21 Jun 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:

Anybody in the south west remember the old "Trago Mills" paper adverts?

> Robertson's local newspaper advertisements became noted in the West Country for his leader column style comment written under the alias "Tripehound". Some of his comments became highly personalised. Statues of local political figures and officials he believed were opposed to his development "welcome" shoppers to the Liskeard store. Robertson placed advertisements in the 1980s and 1990s calling for the castration of gay men. The United Kingdom Advertising Standards Authority ruled against Trago Mills and demanded the withdrawal of all advertisements

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...