UKC

Beginners first Kettlebell, what weight to start with?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dek 21 Jun 2016
I need to improve my core strength, so im looking for a kettle bell to use at home. A novice question... do I get a weight for two hands use, or a lighter for one handed lifting and reaching etc. I'm thinking of a starting weight of around 10-12 Kgs? Should it be Heavier or lighter?... I don't intend to become ' fanatical' about it!
Any input appreciated.
Thanks.
 drolex 21 Jun 2016
In reply to dek:

It depends... (how original)

How strong are you already? It's probably better if you buy only one to go for a lightish one (one that you can easily handle with one arm for a while), it's probably better to train longer than bust something. And it's probably even better to have at least 2 (one light for one arm and one heavier for 2 arms). FWIW I have an 8kg and a 16kg (I am on the weak side myself), I use mostly the 8kg one. I could probably do with an intermediate one as well. on second thought it might have been a better idea to buy an 8kg and a 12kg first.

They give a good sweat, I find they are a good occasional exercise.
OP dek 21 Jun 2016
In reply to drolex:

Thanks for that! Yes I was thinking 2 was probably a better idea, around the weights you mentioned. Did you find it benefited your core ?
 JayPee630 21 Jun 2016
In reply to dek:

That sounds a very low weight. I got a 16kg to start after being recommended that weight and found that too light very quickly. But of course it depends on what strength you are!
 drolex 21 Jun 2016
In reply to dek:

Yes I think it did. And after 20 minutes doing silly moves, you feel like you have done some actual work - I suppose they are quite good for endurance too
 drolex 21 Jun 2016
In reply to JayPee630:

I am a wimp, yes. More seriously, I am around 63kg, but quite fit if that helps to give an idea.
 JayPee630 21 Jun 2016
In reply to drolex:

IMO if you want to get a better core follow the core workout in Training for the New Alpinism. You could get a pull=up bar for the leg raises and a lighter KB for the kayaks and have a good session.
 JayPee630 21 Jun 2016
In reply to drolex:

Lots of gyms have them now. Might be worth visiting one to have a heft and see what weight you think might be best.

They're a great tool for training btw. Once you get into them try the 5 week 10,000 swing KB program. It's also worth getting a bit of tuition for how to use them, many of the exercises are quite ahrd to do properly.

Turkish get-ups, swings (Russian and normal), snatch, C&J, weighted pullups/dips, and squats can all be done well with them.
 JohnO1978 21 Jun 2016
In reply to dek:

Ive trained with kettlebells now for about 10 yrs, good tool if used correctly.

For a women, start with an 8kg, this should do you for one handed and two handed exercises.

For men, 16kg.

I just have a 24kg one now that I use for everything however I have had a 16kg and 32 kg in the past.

Have a look for exercises/workouts on the net/youtube as there are plenty. You cant go too wrong though with routines based around 2 handed swings.
 JohnO1978 21 Jun 2016
In reply to JayPee630:

10,000 swings is a killer...have you done it? Fair play to you if you have..I have started it and been distracted and had to give it up but it was hard going..
 JayPee630 21 Jun 2016
In reply to JohnO1978:
No, not done it. It's on my list when it fits with other training. have heard it's a killer (mainly through boredom!) but I'll give it a go sometime.

What weights did you use with it?
Post edited at 15:21
 JohnO1978 22 Jun 2016
In reply to JayPee630:

I tried with 24kg, I do everything with the 24 these days..its hard!
 Marcus 23 Jun 2016
In reply to JohnO1978:

Spot on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...