UKC

Rock shoes resoling in London

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nutme 21 Jun 2016
Anyone could recommend a place to go or not to go to get shoes resoled please?
 CurlyStevo 21 Jun 2016
In reply to nutme:

post them to llanberis resoles
 Paul16 21 Jun 2016
In reply to nutme:

+1 for Llanberis resoles. Just had two pairs done and both pairs are great.
 Fishmate 21 Jun 2016
In reply to nutme:

Check out Chida Climbing. He has gained a very good reputation over the last year or two. I think he has a drop off point at The Castle but you'd be better off looking him up on FB etc.
 deepsoup 21 Jun 2016
In reply to nutme:
Nowhere in London.
Your options in the UK are Cheshire Shoe Repair, Feet First (in Chesterfield) and Llanberis resoles.

I've used Feet First in the past and found them to be very good, but Torquil in Llanberis is better imo.

Cheshire Shoe Repairs: http://www.cheshireshoe.co.uk/rockboots.asp
Feet First: http://www.resoles.co.uk
Llanberis: http://www.llanberisresoles.com/

Edit to add:
Ah. Maybe I'm out of date with that "nowhere in London" then..
Post edited at 12:51
 CurlyStevo 21 Jun 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

I found both cheshire and feet first to sometimes be good and other times very poor. Their rerand job in particular can often change the shape of the front of the boot considerably.

LLanberis resole are much better in general at keeping the original shape of the shoe.
 phildavies84 21 Jun 2016
In reply to nutme:
If you are not in too much of a hurry, drop them off with Stefano who works at Westway. He sends batches off to Italy on a monthly basis and the job they do is fantastic. £30 or £32 if the rands need doing including postage. The only problem is that it might be 2-4 weeks before you get you're shoes back.
https://www.facebook.com/theresoler/?fref=nf
OP nutme 21 Jun 2016
Price with postage gets way to close to the tag of new shoes :/
 CurlyStevo 21 Jun 2016
In reply to nutme:
Depends - many new model rock boots currently cost about £100, resole costs about 40 inc postage. Also I prefer them when resoled as I get to choose the shoe rubber and the boots are worn in to my foot shape so more comfy.
Post edited at 13:09
 deepsoup 21 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> Also I prefer them when resoled as I get to choose the shoe rubber and the boots are worn in to my foot shape so more comfy.

This is my experience too - I've had freshly resoled boots back from Llanberis and they've actually been better than new.
 druss 21 Jun 2016
In reply to nutme:

+1 Llanberis Resoles. Very quick turnaround and excellent finish.
 johncook 21 Jun 2016
In reply to nutme:

Post to Cheshire Resoles. Brilliant workmanship and usually back within the week. Choice of rubber, and rand patch included.
OP nutme 21 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

True, but will resoled shoes get same life cycle as new pair?
I had only 4 pairs of rock shoes in my life each lasting from a year to two. Never resoled before, but assuming resoled will last less. Or am I wrong?
 CurlyStevo 21 Jun 2016
In reply to nutme:
You can typically resole a pair of boots about 3 or 4 times and each time it will last the same if not better than a new pair (as you can choose the shoe rubber to suit your climbing)
Post edited at 15:58
OP nutme 21 Jun 2016

Awesome. Thank you for great suggestions.

Will go with Chida in Castle gym.
Post edited at 16:24
 flaneur 21 Jun 2016
In reply to nutme:

I've had resoles done on at least one pair of shoes by most of those mentioned. Quality/value ratings go something like this: Torquil Llanberis 9/7; Chida 8/9; Stefano 6/6; Feet First Chesterfield 5/5.

Chida collects from The Castle and Cold Mountain Kit. He currently uses La Sportiva rubber only.

CurlyStevo 21 Jun 2016
In reply to flaneur:

Don't sportiva just use vibram rubber now?
 flaneur 21 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> Don't sportiva just use vibram rubber now?

You're quite right, that's what I was trying to say. Chida offers grip or edge flavour vibram.
 CurlyStevo 21 Jun 2016
In reply to flaneur:
the vibram XS edge is quite good, think I prefer 5:10 stealth as it seems a little more grippy and more durable, but there isn't so much in it.
Post edited at 17:24
MrWayne 22 Jun 2016
In reply to nutme:

Odd. At the prices they charge by the time you factor in delivery you could buy a new pair.
 Simon4 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Fishmate:

> Check out Chida Climbing. He has gained a very good reputation over the last year or two.

I did try to contact him for my last resole, but couldn't get any response, so the boots went to Cheshire Shoe Repair who have always been completely reliable.

OP nutme 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Simon4:

I was more lucky suppose. Spoke to him on facebook yesterday and dropped shoes in the evening. Will see how it will work out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...