UKC

Route from Corrour to Rannoch station

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ferret 21 Jun 2016
Hi all

As part of a longer run I'm piecing together I want to take the tracks that run from Corrour Station, towards the youth hostel then south towards Rannoch station. OS map shows a path hitting the Allt Eigheach river about 2km NE of Rannoch station. The path then turns into a landrover track on the east side of that river I think. Looks like a ford possibly.... Does anybody know how easy the river crossing is there? Quite happy plunging through and getting wet but don't want to get to there and find its fast moving or way too deep for a safe and easy solo crossing. Or is there a bridge/fence/wire crossing in the area that I can't see on map?

Many thanks
 Bob Aitken 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Ferret:

I passed that way in May 2014, and as I recall we passed dryshod over a very substantial recently constructed vehicle bridge. A bridge is shown on my 2011 OS 1:50K Sheet 42. But I suppose, given the dismaying recent frequency of downpours and flash floods, it may just conceivably have been carried off since then ... somebody with more recent experience may be able to confirm.
Ferret 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Bob Aitken:

That's interesting thanks.... OS Maps online doesn't show a bridge but the satellite image does show something, a bit further south of where the ford (if that's what it is) shows on the map. I didn't want to trust the satellite though, in case what I'm seeing was simply a temporary structure/earth with pipe through it during landworks or something....
 Bob Aitken 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Ferret:
The web will provide: this was apparently taken in 2002, but that's the bridge I remember from 2014 -
http://www.barbersasa.co.uk/scotland/rannoch/pics/02-07-121.jpg

In the worst-case scenario - no bridge, raging flood in the river - you need only head SW to hit the railway and follow it down to Rannoch Station, thereby avoiding the crossing of the Allt Eigheach entirely. Rough and squidgy no doubt, but perfectly feasible and only about 3km. A minor wild land experience.
 Jack Frost 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Ferret:

Yes, there's a bridge there - a new one built for the Dunan hydro scheme in the past 12months. I was there in February.

Pic here --> http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4903281

Enjoy your run.
Ferret 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Ferret:

Thanks to both!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...